Why become a member? ×

Who Needs A Bass Amp?

Chienmortbb

This may end up a bit of a ramble but I have three bass amps and I set them all flat, getting my "sound" either from one of my Zoom pedals or  just using the bass itself. Last night we played at a venue that had one of those "wonderful" systems that monitors your sound level and cuts the power if you get too loud. Thankfully these are becoming few and far between. Last night only myself and the lead guitarist were plugged in to this system in ignorance. In an attempt to find the problem, I went straight form the bass into the amp. Set  flat it was more than passable.

Anyway it got me thinking about just having a small form power amp fed from the Zoom(s).  Is anyone using this type of setup, rather than a PA cab or a tradition bass amp/cab/combo?

Sure, whole lot of people moving in this direction, using amp modellers either direct to the PA or power amp into cabs. I'd look at getting an amp that you like the sound of, and that also has an effects loop. That way, you can plug into the return of the loop with your Zoom, and should the Zoom ever fail on a gig, you can still plug into the front of the amp and it's not a show-stopper. 

My first step towards what's now called frfr was a pedal board preamp into a power amp and then a hifi ish 3 way Dr bass cabinet. Worked great, and I left the rig at home when a good pa was provided. 

IMAG0780.thumb.jpg.aaf128f3da35830ddf0858d7e8b86232.jpg

Edited by Jack
  • Like 2

I've tried modelling pedals and just never liked sounding like someone else's preset or my own modded version of one. I see their worth, but I use very little in the way of effects nowadays. Last few gigs in particular have been Bass -> LMB3 -> Amp. And thats it. One thing i've leaned towards is using smaller amps to mitigate gig monitoring systems and probably more for the benefit of my hearing than anything else. For the most part its really just my bass and the amp, and I kind of like the raw sound of my bass direct into a small amp set clean. By small amp I mean anything less that 150 solid state watts as that seems more than enough for pub gigs. I've also tried a dedicated power amp ( A Behringer 200w per channel/400W bridged type ) into one cab. One channel was sufficent for small gigs and bridged was even more flexible. However, I needed more front end EQ/signal to drive the power amp which just complicated things more at the very front end. The Bass -> LMB3 -> Amp( up to 150watts ) really has been a godsend of simplicity. As mentioned already, most amps have the flexibility of useable EQ, and still have a send/return to just use as a power amp if needed. And, if your modeller fails, you can still plug straight into the amp and probably hear what your bass  actually sounds like as the Gods of Analogue/True Bypass intended🙂

I haven't used an amp for a couple of years now.

Bass into pedal board including zoom B1Four and Laney Digbeth preamp, straight into desk/PA

In ear monitoring for the guitars and vocals and the best bit, a Porter and Davies KT platform for bass and drums.

My Ampeg head and stack sits quietly in the garage these days  :(

Must get round to selling it..

Edited by skidder652003
  • Like 1

20 hours ago, Chienmortbb said:

Anyway it got me thinking about just having a small form power amp fed from the Zoom(s).  Is anyone using this type of setup, rather than a PA cab or a tradition bass amp/cab/combo?

What cab(s) would be be using with this?

14 minutes ago, BigRedX said:

What cab(s) would be be using with this?

I was not thinking about any particular cab although the 8" cab being done bu @Phil Starr would work. I suppose I was partly also thinking about my LFSys Monza.

My initial thought was a small amp in the Elf/Gnome type amp using an ICEPower module but when I looked at the costs, as usual, I realised that DIY would be MME (much more expensive). So I started thinking about exactly what I needed.  I leave my amps flat, no EQ at all. I know they are flat as I have measured the response of the preamp section.

• 3 weeks later...

I enjoy playing around with different gear. My latest idea is to actually utilise the many preamp options I have at my disposal. 

I too considered a small power amp, but in the end I found there's no real savings to be had and tiny powerful bass amps abound. As long as it has an effects loop I can bypass the preamp and off I go.

Bang for buck nothing seems to beat the Harley Benton Block. 800 watts, under 300 quid. 

I've been waiting for them to return to stock at Thomann, they're now predicted at 1 to 2 weeks. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, stewblack said:

I enjoy playing around with different gear. My latest idea is to actually utilise the many preamp options I have at my disposal. 

I too considered a small power amp, but in the end I found there's no real savings to be had and tiny powerful bass amps abound. As long as it has an effects loop I can bypass the preamp and off I go.

Bang for buck nothing seems to beat the Harley Benton Block. 800 watts, under 300 quid. 

I've been waiting for them to return to stock at Thomann, they're now predicted at 1 to 2 weeks. 

I read elsewhere (grain of salt, may just have been random forum gossip) but the effects in on the HB Block clone is pretty much flat response so it would make for an ideal tiny power amp that costs peanuts.

• Like 2