Why become a member? ×

Help with DI pedals…

BassBeast

10 minutes ago, BassBeast said:

But would a DI (or preamp) make any discernible difference in a bedroom setup? 😇

Not particularly! I use a DI at home to go into my xr18, but that also has a high impedance input so it's not necessary. 

As for a preamp, I think the most flexible I had was the TC Electronic Spectra Drive. 4 band EQ but the clever bit is a toneprint enabled tube drive and compressor which means you have access to loads of overdrive and compressor types. Oh, it has a built in DI as well! 

20 minutes ago, BassBeast said:

But would a DI (or preamp) make any discernible difference in a bedroom setup? 😇

Might be worth just noting that many preamp pedals have a "DI" function built in, which is essentially a transformer that allows a balanced signal to be sent to a mixing desk for FOH/recording. The preamp circuit is separate from the DI circuit on most pedals/amps, and indeed there is often a button to allow the DI to be before or after the preamp. The aim of a DI is to send your signal somewhere else with a hint of colour (as others have noted) whereas a preamp is a slightly more agressive thing to have in your signal path as it's aim is to colour your tone.

Reading this thread so far, I think it's probably a preamp rather than a DI that you are after. There are many available, at the moment I'm using a Genzler which is pretty punchy.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, SimonK said:

Might be worth just noting that many preamp pedals have a "DI" function built in, which is essentially a transformer that allows a balanced signal to be sent to a mixing desk for FOH/recording. The preamp circuit is separate from the DI circuit on most pedals/amps, and indeed there is often a button to allow the DI to be before or after the preamp. The aim of a DI is to send your signal somewhere else with a hint of colour (as others have noted) whereas a preamp is a slightly more agressive thing to have in your signal path as it's aim is to colour your tone.

Reading this thread so far, I think it's probably a preamp rather than a DI that you are after. There are many available, at the moment I'm using a Genzler which is pretty punchy.

Seems to me, lots of folks change their pre amp pedals as if it’s an experimental game. 

This Genzler: do I have need to compare it to a SansAmp or others? 

All these options is driving me bonkers. 

4 minutes ago, BassBeast said:

Seems to me, lots of folks change their pre amp pedals as if it’s an experimental game. 

...many of us think this is where the fun is - also changing a preamp pedal is cheaper than changing your amp!

I went for the Genzler because I have an old Genz-Benz head and really like the sound. From watching these things for a few years it does seem that the SanAmp routinely gets the best reviews by the most people - it's close to being an industry standard. So if I wasn't prejudiced in other ways, and couldn't listen to anything, I would get a SanAmp bass driver.

Mind you if it is punchyness you are specifically after have you changed your strings recently? It's amazing how a new set of strings has more of an effect on tone than anything else (albeit strings are now so expensive they're not far off a new pedal)!

8 minutes ago, SimonK said:

...many of us think this is where the fun is - also changing a preamp pedal is cheaper than changing your amp!

I went for the Genzler because I have an old Genz-Benz head and really like the sound. From watching these things for a few years it does seem that the SanAmp routinely gets the best reviews by the most people - it's close to being an industry standard. So if I wasn't prejudiced in other ways, and couldn't listen to anything, I would get a SanAmp bass driver.

Mind you if it is punchyness you are specifically after have you changed your strings recently? It's amazing how a new set of strings has more of an effect on tone than anything else (albeit strings are now so expensive they're not far off a new pedal)!

I have changed them quite recently yes. I’ve never owned Pre amp. Not sure I need or want one. 

2 hours ago, SimonK said:

19 hours ago, SimonK said:

Might be worth just noting that many preamp pedals have a "DI" function built in, which is essentially a transformer that allows a balanced signal to be sent to a mixing desk...

Several good points. A tiny addition: balancing can be done electronically, therefore an audio transformer is not a must. Opamps are cheaper than say, a Lars Lundahl transformer.

https://www.lundahltransformers.com/