Why become a member? ×

Yet another band name suggestion thread

Your genre style sounds a little 1920s, which was Ragtime, so keeping with the previous suggestions, how about…

Jazz Rag

Though my first thought was to take a play on your avatar name. Chop your first to just “L” & change Small to Little, then swap them round. 
Little L

11 hours ago, Leonard Smalls said:

I think we'll be Jazz Blues though!

I did like the idea of vintage fag brands though to conjure up smokey clubs of yore, hence Craven Black Cat. Or The Gitanes..

Or The Gauloises. Or the Craven As. Or The Navy Cut. Or perhaps, The Roll Ups...

Old Holborn

1 hour ago, xgsjx said:

Your genre style sounds a little 1920s

As our guitarist is a huge Hendrix fan, and I'm currently introducing him to (and hopefully influencing him with) James Blood Ulmer and Marc Ribot, folks would probably have looked at us a bit funny if we'd been playing in the 1920s!

Perhaps we should be Blues y Clawdd? 

• Like 1

Your name is Smalls and your band is playing jazz blues or blues jazz. Obvious name: Isle of Lucy. Named after the famous "The Isle of Lucy jazz and blues festival". 

Marty DiBergi : Now, during the Flower People period, who was your drummer?

David St. Hubbins : Stumpy's replacement, Peter James Bond. He also died in mysterious circumstances. We were playing a, uh...

Nigel Tufnel : ...Festival.

David St. Hubbins : Jazz blues festival. Where was that?

Nigel Tufnel : Blues jazz, really.

Derek Smalls : Blues jazz festival. Misnamed.

Nigel Tufnel : It was in the Isle of, uh...

David St. Hubbins : Isle of Lucy. The Isle of Lucy jazz and blues festival.

Nigel Tufnel : And, uh, it was tragic, really. He exploded on stage.

Derek Smalls : Just like that.

David St. Hubbins : He just went up.

Nigel Tufnel : He just was like a flash of green light... And that was it. Nothing was left.

David St. Hubbins : Look at his face.

Nigel Tufnel : Well, there was...

David St. Hubbins : It's true, this really did happen.

Nigel Tufnel : It's true. There was a little green globule on his drum seat.

David St. Hubbins : Like a stain, really.

Nigel Tufnel : It was more of a stain than a globule, actually.

David St. Hubbins : You know, several, you know, dozens of people spontaneously combust each year. It's just not really widely reported.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 3

1 hour ago, tinyd said:

I think The <something> Quartet/Quintet is a generally good way to signal a degree of jazziness...

Probably because I have nothing else to do at the moment, this made me look up The Sir Douglas Quintet wiki page which contains a link to The Oh So Good Band. US based and possibly defunct anyway but a pretty good band name. 

2 hours ago, tinyd said:

I think The <something> Quartet/Quintet is a generally good way to signal a degree of jazziness...

but there are already sooooo many of them. How do you then stand out of the crowd?

Well, learn from Magritte and his famous painting "This is not a pipe" and call yourself  - "This is not the <something> Quartet/Quintet" 🙂  

MagrittePipe.jpg.7df99cb471fde3b7ec6e3d538e337506.jpg

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Eldon Tyrell said:

but there are already sooooo many of them. How do you then stand out of the crowd?

Well, learn from Magritte and his famous painting "This is not a pipe" and call yourself  - "This is not the <something> Quartet/Quintet" 🙂  

MagrittePipe.jpg.7df99cb471fde3b7ec6e3d538e337506.jpg

I like the "not the X..." idea!  I think in terms of standing out, you just need to stand out from the other bands in the local area, so if there are already tons of Dave Smith / Barry Johnson Quartets then it's probably not great. But if there aren't, then this kind of name might help single you out as a jazz(y) band.

On 23/08/2024 at 09:16, Leonard Smalls said:

I wouldn't want folks to think we're a jazz band as such because they'll expect elevator nice-ness...

We're likely to be The Anti-Elevator Nice...

Try last exit for Jazz Ferox

• Like 1