Why become a member? ×

Mark Bass Compressore alternatives

BassBeast

Hello folks.

i use this pedal at home but not sure if it’s for me. It’s a bit too large. 

Are there any better, smaller compression pedals for bass?

Please only reply if you’ve used the Mark Bass pedal…

I had one, it's big innit?

TBH I can't really hear much difference between comp pedals but then my hearing is really terrible and I play in a pretty loud band.

As above Ovnilab is your friend.

I've gone back to using my bulletproof and trusty old Boss LMB3 and its fine.

If I could afford a real one ( I have a fake) I would get a Origin effects cali76.

TC spectracomp is my fave. It’s tiny and (can be) super simple. If you hook it up to yer computer via USB then it gives more options that anything else I can think of and is insanely powerful. Grab one in here for £50! Mine saw off an MXR, Cali big box, FEA opti… 

• Like 1

What don’t you like about the MB Comp other than the size? It’s a wonderful tube stage and can add quite a nice character to the sound as I’m sure you noticed. 

Everyone will have a different idea of what is a better unit but if you can source a Bass witch Dual band comp it will do a lovely punchy sound. 

The hyper liminal is a great unit too. The Sym mode does some of that tone shaping and makes things a wee touch darker but not in a bad way. But the MB does the tone sweetening better than IMO. BUS is where it’s at for me. Again punchy and makes things better. 

I just got a MB comp ad I really like it.  Even using it in the last few gigs and just have it on the floor beside my main pedal board. I’ve shifted a few things to make it fit because I love what it brings overall, not just as a comp but as part of the signal chain. I’ve not used a comp which sounds quite like it not that I’ve used heaps of comps. 

I’m sorely tempted to use all three on my board for the next couple of gigs just for fun. 

IMG_0198.jpeg.5dcae638c4aa52b5eca54e296a9d1f07.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

Curveball suggestion: try the UAFX LA2A.

I used to have the marbass, loved it, but let it go because of the awkward size and power needs.

LA2A works really nicely for the same purpose I used the MB, which for me, is always-on, mild/moderate compression, adding nice warmth and fatness, with zero noise.

It does this in a completely different way - digital (!) emulation of a classic tube circuit, and just three knobs.