Why become a member? ×

Cheat Trick - promo and full songs.

warwickhunt

19 hours ago, warwickhunt said:

My first musical love so it was obvious at some point I was going to form a tribute to them!  

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1-kaRuKaezzBftF4vxyiztwNAlbEzphIM/view?usp=drive_link

Would love to hear some of your thoughts on leading a tribute act, especially one performing music by a pretty unique band?

2 hours ago, Beedster said:

Would love to hear some of your thoughts on leading a tribute act, especially one performing music by a pretty unique band?

Ultimately it's a hard sell!  :/  

If you want to be a Bon Jovi, Fleetwood Mac or one of the BIG sellers you can find gigs despite there being dozens of similar bands; obviously the better ones command the best and most prestigious gigs.  You aren't going to get venues offering to give you more money than a regular covers band UNLESS you are going to pull in a crowd and will Cheap Trick, The Cars, Split Enz or whoever, pull in a crowd?  We drove 120 miles to a gig which was 80% of ticket sales to us with an advised ticket price of £10 - £15 (we went for £10).  The venue was a well respected rock music venue in Edinburgh and we had good feedback that CT would be well received... we made enough money to cover our parking fees!  Gutted doesn't cover it but if folk don't want to come out and pay for a ticket, you are stuffed.  We genuinely thought there'd be enough fans in and around Edinburgh to at least fill a 150/200 capacity venue but it wasn't to be!  On the flip side we did a local rock music venue for a flat fee (same as any covers band) and we had a cracking night with lots of 'fans' coming out to see us.

We love the music we play (especially since replacing the guitar player with a genuine CT fan) and making money isn't important BUT playing to a big appreciative crowd is.  We did a big bike rally/festival as our first gig and as the opening band on first night we had a blast (approx 1800 people in the tent) but those moments are hard work, needing good connections and luck! 

I'd say to do the music of a band you love is NOT hard work but you'll need like minded individuals around you.  Oh and we haven't even touched upon just how authentic you want to be.  :)  

• Thanks 1

Early Cheap Trick carries an absolute truckload of great memories for me, but you just don't hear their stuff played any more.

I suggested to my covers band that we should do Surrender and was met with blank, puzzled stares ...

• Confused 1

4 minutes ago, Happy Jack said:

Early Cheap Trick carries an absolute truckload of great memories for me, but you just don't hear their stuff played any more.

I suggested to my covers band that we should do Surrender and was met with blank, puzzled stares ...

I'm involved in a recent resurrection of one of my old bands and the singer (in his 30's) suggested we do a Velvet Revolver song... Surrender!

As anticipated, the guitarist tried to busk through the song and couldn't get the opening chord sorted despite me telling him it was a A# bar chord... but JUST the bar; he also couldn't grasp why you'd key change after the opening chord sequence and then do another key change in verse 3.  'Because it is Cheap Trick and that's what they do!'  LOL

• Haha 1

28 minutes ago, Happy Jack said:

Surrender is a classic, you need to explain this to your covers band Jack 👍

• Haha 1

20 minutes ago, warwickhunt said:

I'm involved in a recent resurrection of one of my old bands and the singer (in his 30's) suggested we do a Velvet Revolver song... Surrender!

As anticipated, the guitarist tried to busk through the song and couldn't get the opening chord sorted despite me telling him it was a A# bar chord... but JUST the bar; he also couldn't grasp why you'd key change after the opening chord sequence and then do another key change in verse 3.  'Because it is Cheap Trick and that's what they do!'  LOL

A perennial problem with being in any tribute band is the almost universal requirement for a guitarist 😆

• warwickhunt changed the title to Cheat Trick - promo and full songs.
6 hours ago, warwickhunt said:

Full version of 'Surrender'. 

I'd like to hope it isn't going to shock anyone but it'll sound a 'bit' like the original... tribute means just that for us.  :)  

That made me very happy 👍

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, Happy Jack said:

Bass needs more strings ...

The bassist is always looking for a bass with more strings!  :)  

I'd rather play a T bird or P bass (as per Tom's early days) than play a Dean or Galveston.  :/ 

• Like 1

Are you "Tom"? If so, very impressed with the look (the hat and hair) and the 8 string bass.

Big CT fan - met them when they played Nottingham Rock City 15+ years ago and have all their albums.

Two things: (1) I'm not surprised you didn't manage to fill a 200 venue in Edinburgh because (2) I feel they've always been held back by their cartoon image caused in large part by Rick. Rammstein manage to muck around but be "serious". But CT have never had that serious tag. Yet even from their brilliant first 4 studio albums this was a band with serious musical chops. If your band has a more serious image then you're doing the original CT a big favour.  

29 minutes ago, Kitsto said:

Are you "Tom"? If so, very impressed with the look (the hat and hair) and the 8 string bass.

Big CT fan - met them when they played Nottingham Rock City 15+ years ago and have all their albums.

Two things: (1) I'm not surprised you didn't manage to fill a 200 venue in Edinburgh because (2) I feel they've always been held back by their cartoon image caused in large part by Rick. Rammstein manage to muck around but be "serious". But CT have never had that serious tag. Yet even from their brilliant first 4 studio albums this was a band with serious musical chops. If your band has a more serious image then you're doing the original CT a big favour.  

Agree with all of that 👍

4 hours ago, Kitsto said:

I am he.  :)  I've been into the band since the late 70's and though I swear I've never modelled myself on Tom, he's patently been an influence on me.  

We are trying to entertain in the first instance and educate in the 2nd but a lot of folk simply want the best of 'Dad;s Rock' CD... regardless of the quality of CT.  :/