Why become a member? ×

Mark Bass decisions ?

Dal

I have the opportunity to buy either a CMD 102p combo or CMD 121p combo + 121 extension cab. Both are the same price and both come with the combo II head

I play small venues, marquees and would use it for practice room etc.

I like the idea of the wedge shape in the 2x10 combo as I can use it as a monitor on stage and go through the DI to a PA. I also like the idea of two small 1x12. I could use one as a practice amp, and then pair it up with the 1x12 cab to get 500w on stage.

Is there much difference in sound between pushing two 10" and two 12"

I play funk, latin, afro, jazz and like a clean sound with plenty of punch.

Any thoughts on what would suit better ?

Hi @Dal 

I had the CMD121P and extension cab for years until recently and it was a very useful and versatile combination, and it sounds great for electric and upright bass. I’ve also played a lot of shows with the 102P combo as it’s the house amp at a couple of venues I play at regularly. I really do enjoy the sound of the 102P during a gig, but I think the hissy tweeter would get annoying very quickly if you were using it for practice at home. 
If it’s just for electric bass I’d say the 102P is a good choice. The angled cab means you can always hear yourself clearly on stage without being overly loud. If you also play upright, I’d go the other way with the 121P and extension. 
Good luck! 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, simonlittle said:

Hi @Dal 

I had the CMD121P and extension cab for years until recently and it was a very useful and versatile combination, and it sounds great for electric and upright bass. I’ve also played a lot of shows with the 102P combo as it’s the house amp at a couple of venues I play at regularly. I really do enjoy the sound of the 102P during a gig, but I think the hissy tweeter would get annoying very quickly if you were using it for practice at home. 
If it’s just for electric bass I’d say the 102P is a good choice. The angled cab means you can always hear yourself clearly on stage without being overly loud. If you also play upright, I’d go the other way with the 121P and extension. 
Good luck! 

Thanks for your feedback

In your opinion, how would you describe the difference in sound between the two set ups ?

I prefer something with a bit more low end punch and wondered what might be the better option 

44 minutes ago, fretmeister said:

Does the 121P hiss less than the 102P?

If so, it must be a different tweeter, as Bill always says, Tweeters don't hiss, amps hiss!

I do wish MB would put tweeter controls on their combos as well as on the cabs.

I’m not sure whether it’s because the tweeter is angled directly at you in the 102P but I would say it’s noticeably louder. I’m talking specifically about the combos with the Combo II heads here, couldn’t say with the more recent models.

I regularly played through two 102P’s at two different venues and the hiss when nobody is playing was just plain annoying. Hence my comment about using it for home practice; that would drive me round the bend. However, once you’re playing the amp sounds fantastic. 
The CMD121P I had also had the hiss but it didn’t ever bother me to the same extent; but again, it didn’t have the tweeter pointing right in my ear..

• Like 2

30 minutes ago, Dal said:

Thanks for your feedback

In your opinion, how would you describe the difference in sound between the two set ups ?

I prefer something with a bit more low end punch and wondered what might be the better option 

Both setups have a good amount of low end punch; the 102 always felt a bit clearer in tone around the upper mids and above than my own setup but I loved the sound of the two 12” cabs together. Plus I play a lot of upright and that sounded better through the 12”s too

For practical use I’d go for the CMD121 & 121 ext cab - I did in fact have this same rig. Combo for rehearsals & small gigs, both for when more is required. The two together are very good indeed.

• Like 2

On 21/08/2024 at 13:41, fretmeister said:

If so, it must be a different tweeter, as Bill always says, Tweeters don't hiss, amps hiss!

Quite Right. There is no reason why a well designed amp should hiss these days.

I’d go with the 12” set. In fact that’s not too dissimilar to my current set up. Very flexible, one cab for rehearsals and two for gigs. Very punchy and plenty of volume to the point where I would DI into a house set up.IMG_1322.thumb.jpeg.ef93288c682d120856bb53d6a9f0dc3f.jpeg

• Like 2

It's interesting that MB have kept the wood cabinet CMD121P while also introducing the new material combos that also has a 1x12.

I did notice that some of the new material cabs are quite a bit deeper than the wooden ones. I fancy a change from my BF One10 x2 but I've been spoiled as to how small they are and I'm not sure I want the extra size again.

1 hour ago, fretmeister said:

It's interesting that MB have kept the wood cabinet CMD121P while also introducing the new material combos that also has a 1x12.

I did notice that some of the new material cabs are quite a bit deeper than the wooden ones. I fancy a change from my BF One10 x2 but I've been spoiled as to how small they are and I'm not sure I want the extra size again.

Having just switched from the CMD121P+NY121 to the newer MB58r cabs I can confirm they are significantly deeper! What used to fit easy in the car behind my upright bass is now a bit of a squeeze… sounds great though 

• Like 1

One thing no one has mentioned is that the 121 plus cab will mean a lot more usable headroom available. It's really portable and an easy carry and pack. On its own, the 210 combo punches a bit harder than the 121 combo but is a bigger bit of kit to handle.

Personally, I'd go with the 12s.

Pete

• Like 1

Thanks for all of the feedback. I was hoping to go for the two 1x12's and waiting for the seller to come back to me, but somebody jumped in and bought them.

Ah well, looks like it will be the 210p combo, which I think will be a great choice anyway. And I like the idea of using it as a monitor. I always ended up shoving a block of wood under my old Trace combo because all of the air was pushing against my knees ! 

• Like 1