Why become a member? ×

62 Precision (?)

seller just added photos of the F/R headstock and a clearer shot of the neck-plate & serial.

59 minutes ago, eubassix said:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/405180240288?itmmeta=01J5TCCFK32TW0HK4QV5F660ZW&hash=item5e569fd1a0:g:8RUAAOSwVV5mxM6f

... only 3 photos and very little else. My area of the country so might ask to physically see / try it.

I’d want to see it in person - I will say, my gut instinct says it’s legit. I’m sure some internal shots would confirm, and some stamp pics.

poor effort from seller - but not necessarily a shady deal.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, AndyTravis said:

I’d want to see it in person - I will say, my gut instinct says it’s legit. I’m sure some internal shots would confirm, and some stamp pics.

poor effort from seller - but not necessarily a shady deal.

I've asked re. location and being able to see but no response to that Q as yet. He did add a couple of photos (only 3 originally) and stated that he'd been offered £4k ... 'if I was still interested'. One worrying reply re. dates / type of pots etc. .... " No pots on bass everything else original can t view till I return...." which seems odd if he's played (the) bass over 3 decades.

4 minutes ago, eubassix said:

I've asked re. location and being able to see but no response to that Q as yet. He did add a couple of photos (only 3 originally) and stated that he'd been offered £4k ... 'if I was still interested'. One worrying reply re. dates / type of pots etc. .... " No pots on bass everything else original can t view till I return...." which seems odd if he's played (the) bass over 3 decades.

Have you Google image searched the photos? 

I asked for pictures of the dates and neck stamp when it was first listed and got the reply, sorry no pics of the stamp but it’s genuine, if you’re selling a 62 precision imo you need to make more of an effort if you want to get a good price 

7 minutes ago, Reggaebass said:

I asked for pictures of the dates and neck stamp when it was first listed and got the reply, sorry no pics of the stamp but it’s genuine, if you’re selling a 62 precision imo you need to make more of an effort if you want to get a good price 

I’m going on gut instinct and saying it’s dodgy 👍

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Beedster said:

I’m going on gut instinct and saying it’s dodgy 👍

I’m not sure myself either mr B, I think It’s hard to tell with the info and pictures that’s been given , be worth going and having a good look if it was local and seeing if he would let you check out the date stamps 

5 minutes ago, Reggaebass said:

I’m not sure myself either mr B, I think It’s hard to tell with the info and pictures that’s been given , be worth going and having a good look if it was local and seeing if he would let you check out the date stamps 

I look at basses these days and simply go on gut feel. My knowledge is nowhere near the likes of some of the guys here such as @wateroftyne @AndyTravis @Chiliwailer so there are far better opinions than mine, but I do know for sure that I wouldn’t travel far to take a look at this bass especially if, like my experience with a reputable London shop a few years back, the seller refuses to allow inspection of the heel/pocket on the basis that it might damage the bass….. 🤔

2 hours ago, Reggaebass said:

Yeah - if he’s not willing to play the game, he’s either lazy or dodgy.

1 hour ago, Reggaebass said:

It would need to be taken apart to verify it and if the seller isn’t willing to do that or let the buyer do it then I wouldn’t bother even looking 

The seller's reply to you 'No pics of the neck stamp but it's genuine...' is all I'd need to know. I'd need to see those pics before I travelled even a few miles to view it 🤔

3 minutes ago, AndyTravis said:

Yeah - if he’s not willing to play the game, he’s either lazy or dodgy

3 minutes ago, Beedster said:

The seller's reply to you 'No pics of the neck stamp but it's genuine...' is all I'd need to know. I'd need to see those pics before I travelled even a few miles to view it

Yeah, neck stamp, pots and pickup pictures are standard practice really 

19 hours ago, Beedster said:

He says he’s played it since the 70’s, almost six 🤔

"during 70s 80s and 90s" - so three decades of playing, five decades of possession. Presumably he got himself a proper bass 25 years ago.

I wouldn't automatically assume that having no pics of the neck stamp but knowing that it's there is necessarily a sign of it being dodgy - after all, if he's ever had to adjust the truss rod, he'd have taken the neck off and seen the stamp, but wouldn't necessarily have thought to take a photo (or it might have been before digital cameras and cameras on phones). Still, he's going to find more demand for it if he does go the extra mile.

On 23/08/2024 at 12:32, tauzero said:

after all, if he's ever had to adjust the truss rod, he'd have taken the neck off and seen the stamp, but wouldn't necessarily have thought to take a photo

... possibly, but not sure he would have done this as he doesn't appear to be aware of what 'pots' are, stating there are no pots on the bass (?).

Latest message(s) state that he's returning today (Sunday) but unable to 'do' anything across the Bank Holiday. As the listing ends 18.27 Tuesday I asked when it might be possible to view. 'Tuesday morning' (reply) but no location / time details that I'd requested. Have asked again......................... 

Photos aren't great but the screwheads suggest that neck's been on and off the bass a few times, which could mean anything of course, but provides little reason for him to argue that removing the neck to prove the date stamp could damage the original screws/threads etc (the excuse I was given a few years back). 

Anyway, it's all a shot in the dark on the evidence provided. He doesn't seem keen to give any more details than he has or book inspections (he added extra information to the thread that simply repeated the previous details). He might not really know himself if it's truly a '62, would be the first guy to won and play an instrument for years only to find they were sold a ringer in 1978. Either way, I get the sense he's trying to keep people interested - and potentially start an eBay bidding war - without any bidders actually knowing what they're bidding on? There's a bid of £2800 on it at present which is perhaps a nice final price if it's a real - albeit far from original - '62, but a hell of a lot of cash for fugazi. Interested to see how this one pans out 🤫  

11 minutes ago, Steve Browning said:

1 pic shows an L series serial. That makes it 1965 I believe. 

No result from the Fender look up link, but seems it could be 1963.

Yeah 63-65 

Years: 1963 to 1965

0L00001 to L20000

L20000 to L59000

L59000 to L99999

"...This listing was ended by the seller on Tue, 27 Aug at 12:38 PM because the item was sold..."   ..... presumably not on ebay (£3100 with c. 6 hours remaining). Never got a reply re. actually seeing the bass so hope the buyer (if one exists) doesn't regret perhaps buying this directly/on-trust.