Why become a member? ×

BassBros communication

Jack

2 hours ago, tegs07 said:

They have a physical store but their online presence is surely the most important way of getting customers?

Definitely, especially as visiting the store is appointment only so there isn't any such thing as casual footfall. Bass Direct a couple of miles up the road doesn't need appointments - it's still not exactly high street but it's possible to drop in on a whim (and leave with your wallet considerably shrunk), but even they recognised the importance of the online presence and finally updated their website.

4 hours ago, tegs07 said:

A quick check on mxtoolbox for bassbros domain shows it’s not DMARC compliant. Microsofts exchange servers are doing what they are supposed to do. Junking the email as it’s not compliant. The sending server is not proving ownership of the domain name.

Its not like companies haven’t had years to make these very simple changes.

Buying a domain, some cheap hosting and then installing Wordpress/WooCommerce is very different than having experience in knowing how and why to set things like SPF/CNAME records in your domain’s DNS. Same thing as sorting your site architecture and using optimisation tools. Most people aren’t aware or simply don’t have the experience to do stuff like that as it takes years to learn and understand how it all works. 

Not saying its the case with Bass Bros website but the amount of ‘web developers’ that start their own business with very limited experience is very common in my experience. 

Edited by Bassybert
  • Like 1

40 minutes ago, Bassybert said:

Buying a domain, some cheap hosting and then installing Wordpress/WooCommerce is very different than having experience in knowing how and why to set things like SPF/CNAME records in your domain’s DNS. Same thing as sorting your site architecture and using optimisation tools. Most people aren’t aware or simply don’t have the experience to do stuff like that as it takes years to learn and understand how it all works. 

Not saying its the case with Bass Bros website but the amount of ‘web developers’ that start their own business with very limited experience is very common in my experience. 

I guess it’s all a matter of perspective but if I was opening a market stall I would make sure I had all the necessary equipment including change, a card reader, weather protection, a suitable vehicle for carrying stock etc

just pay a company a few quid to set up shopify properly would be my advice. probably cheaper than the initial outlay for a market stall.

Edited by tegs07

17 minutes ago, tegs07 said:

I guess it’s all a matter of perspective but if I was opening a market stall I would make sure I had all the necessary equipment including change, a card reader, weather protection, a suitable vehicle for carrying stock etc

just pay a company a few quid to set up shopify properly would be my advice. probably cheaper than the initial outlay for a market stall.

I know what you mean, but you have to have a certain amount of experience/knowledge in the first place to be able to know what you want/need 😂

My point was more along the lines of people/companies employing developers who don’t actually have a huge amount of experience. It’s an industry where it’s relatively easy to get up and running and call yourself a developer, but in reality it takes years to get the relevant experience and more importantly to keep up with technology and algorithm updates. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Bassybert said:

I know what you mean, but you have to have a certain amount of experience/knowledge in the first place to be able to know what you want/need 😂

My point was more along the lines of people/companies employing developers who don’t actually have a huge amount of experience. It’s an industry where it’s relatively easy to get up and running and call yourself a developer, but in reality it takes years to get the relevant experience and more importantly to keep up with technology and algorithm updates. 

yeah i don’t think the recent trend of dev-ops helps either. in my experience developers and infrastructure staff have very different skill sets and personality traits. Getting two for the price of one is a long shot imo.

25 minutes ago, tegs07 said:

yeah i don’t think the recent trend of dev-ops helps either. in my experience developers and infrastructure staff have very different skill sets and personality traits. Getting two for the price of one is a long shot imo.

Absolutely, if you can find a good one they’re worth their weight in gold!

5 hours ago, tegs07 said:

It’s even more fun when you add DevSecOps into the equation!

• Sad 1

7 hours ago, Bassybert said:

I can also assure you that Microsoft will still dump your email even when you have SPF/CNAME/DMARC setup correctly, have checked every sodding blacklist under the sun, have jumped through every known hoop to please them and still have no idea why they reject my emails to hotmail.co.uk. I’m old enough to have configured sendmail by hand so i figured i knew what i was doing.

Anyway unless your business is IT or you get a kick out of reading large amounts of online manuals, find an onsite presence and buy it in. The only system I'd avoid is WordPress unless you like living on the edge about what the next exciting critical vulnerability will be and how quick you can patch the system. Friends don't let friends use WordPress.

Rob

BassBros is run by one person with one other member of staff (not sure if they're full time). Whenever I call I would say most of the time my call is answered immediately, otherwise I probably get a call back that day. I have found this works best for me and email is far less personal.

It is less of a browsing shop than BassDirect as most stock is on not display - this is why appointments are best made telling them what you want to check out. I tend to phone them up on the day I go to BassDirect to to check someone is about, and make it a little round trip of the two.

Only positive experiences when dealing with them for me.

• Like 2

Irregardless of all the above, Bassbros seem to be doing perfectly well, and based on their Trustpilot and other reviews, significantly better than other vendors with "better" online presence 👍

• Like 2