Why become a member? ×

String Recommendations Please

philw

I have quite a few gigs coming up and both basses need new strings: my fretted Bitsa P/J Jaguar(ish) and my fretless Wal Mk 1.

It'll be 45 - 105 roundwounds on the Wal (it's usually tuned DGCF) and I'm thinking 40 - 100 flats (but not too dull and plummy) on the Jaguar (tuned conventionally).

But what to get? I normally go for LaBella, D'Addario, Picato or DR, but what strings have got you lovely lot all excited at the moment?

Hit me up (I believe the young folk say) with some suggestions.

Thank you.

Phil

Let's forget how we're programmed to equate price with quality and give some Olympia flats a go. I put a set on my Epiphone Embassy (a Thunderbird without the neckdive) and I honestly had the best tone I'd had in a long time. 

Fairly bright for a flat but with that unmistakable flatwound fundamental. I preferred them to my usual Chromes 

Olympia flats

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, philw said:

and I'm thinking 40 - 100 flats (but not too dull and plummy) on the Jaguar (tuned conventionally).

I personally would go for Fender 9050. I've been in love with them since I got my first set onto a P-bass (those are 9050ML). I also had a set of 9050M on a fretless Stingray, and it sounded good too.

There are more midrange from TIs, but my fingers won’t get on with their haptics. 

53 minutes ago, Maude said:

Let's forget how we're programmed to equate price with quality and give some Olympia flats a go. I put a set on my Epiphone Embassy (a Thunderbird without the neckdive) and I honestly had the best tone I'd had in a long time. 

Fairly bright for a flat but with that unmistakable flatwound fundamental. I preferred them to my usual Chromes 

Olympia flats

Top tip, thanks!

I have Newtone Shorties on my 30" JagWah, very impressed with the weight and clarity coming off them. And the 4 strings seem to be ageing gracefully at the same rate (uneven tone between strings as they lose their zing grinds my pods big time)

How much of this is down to the shortscale I don't know. but I will be trying the 34" version at some point.

• Like 2

It really depends on what you're looking for and your ability to spend money or not.

If you're on a budget, the Harley Benton dirt cheap strings are really good and they come in stainless steel, nickel, round wound, flat wound and with different gauges, so all you need is to pick up the ones you like.

If you're looking for THAT Motown sound in tune up to the last fret, but don't want to wait 2 decades for the tone to settle in, buy the DR Strings Legend flat wounds.

Or if you prefer a lighter gauge with more mids, try the Thomastik Infeld JF (Jazz Flat...wound).

If you want an even more lighter gauge with even more low mids, but not too much bass and more treble, try the ultra expensive Dogal Perfect Pitch Hellborg Flat Wound.

For the round wounds, if you're looking for a flat response, try the La Bella Super Steps.

If you like a dead precise in tune tone all along the fretboard, with a very light gauge, try the very expensive Dogal Perfect Pitch Hellborg Round Wound.

Or simply buy the Ernie Ball Slinky series for your bass as they are simply regular good string and quite cheap.

It's all about taste and use.

• Like 3

16 hours ago, ghostwheel said:

I personally would go for Fender 9050. I've been in love with them since I got my first set onto a P-bass (those are 9050ML). I also had a set of 9050M on a fretless Stingray, and it sounded good too.

There are more midrange from TIs, but my fingers won’t get on with their haptics. 

While I have bot tried every flat on the market, esp the £70 a set brigade, I can say that Fender flats are just about the worst. When they were made buy Fender and even since D'Addario made them for Fender.

I must say that the old Picato Groundwounds were my all time favourite but they are no longer available. It is wise to go down 5 thou or so when changing from rounds to flats, especially if not going for one of the low tension brands. I have tried Elite Detroit Flats, Picato Flats. Olympia flas amaong others and IMHO the Picatos are the best.  of those.

Rounds - Newtone Diamonds. Sound great out of the packet, last well, good price, supports a small manufacturer who is also a decent bloke. Bad side is they are mostly made to order so not great if the gigs are soon. 

• Like 2

17 hours ago, Maude said:

Olympia flats

Agree, despite being super-cheap the guy who bought my p bass asked what they were. He was in a different galaxy talent-wise compared to me and was very impressed. When I told him they were £14 cheapies from Amazon he thought I was pulling his chain. Absolutely loved them 

4 hours ago, Grooverjr said:

Rounds - Newtone Diamonds. Sound great out of the packet, last well, good price, supports a small manufacturer who is also a decent bloke. Bad side is they are mostly made to order so not great if the gigs are soon. 

Two week turnaround, but worth the wait 

• Like 2

Can't comment on rounds as I've never used them, but on various Fender style basses I've always had flatwounds: La Bella or Chromes are my favourites but it depends on what gauge you feel comfortable with. Then maybe Olympia or Picato or Pyramid? They're all good.

Harley Benton's cheapie flats felt better to me than Fender or Rotosound, both of which felt like cables even at 40-100. And Thomastik Infeld flats lasted about a week before being replaced by La Bellas. Couldn't get on with the feel or sound. 

Good luck with whatever you try 👍

17 hours ago, Chienmortbb said:

Fender flats are just about the worst

I had the 9050ML set, 50-65-85-100 on briefly. Unfortunately, they were too heavy for the crippled neck on that bass, but I enjoyed them very much. I especially remember the evenness of tone across the strings, very different from the La Bellas. They also felt a lot more flexible than I had expected from the gauges.

I often find E strings less tense than I like, and that was true here. Fender used to sell a 45-60-80-105 set, and I think that would have been good for me.

16 hours ago, Rayman said:

Two week turnaround, but worth the wait 

I have just ordered my 3rd and 4th pack of Newtone Platinum Rounds. Not quite as zingy as the Diamonds but with reduced finger noise. The great thing is that Neil at Newtone will advise you on what string to order if you tell him whet you want. Considering they are hand wound in the UK, they are a bargain. I tried Elite Detroit Flats last time and they were OK but I went straight back to an old set of Newtones. 

Edited by Chienmortbb
  • Like 3

Posted (edited)

Thanks again for all the contributions. I’ve gone with a set of Olympia flats for the P/J and a set of “unused” Newtone Diamonds found on eBay. I’ll report back.

Phil

Update: The eBay Newtones are "out of stock" 😞

Edited by philw

For the roundwound strings, I'd have to recommend D'Addario Pro Steels EPS165's. Long lasting, bright sounding, and (IMO) really suit "mid focussed" basses (Ric's, Wal's etc.).

• 3 weeks later...

Thought I'd just follow-up with what I decided on....

For the fretted bitsa-Squire I went with the Olympia flats and for the money I really can't complain. They're great - fab tone and not too dull. Only thing I'm finding is that they're a bit sticky on the fingers and that very occasionally trips me up. Only used them in a rehearsal so far though so maybe the sweat of an actual gig might fix the problem.

And for the fretless Wal, having failed to find a set of Newton's that would arrive in time, I want back to my old friend D'Addario but bought something I hadn't tried before - the NYXL nickel round wound. So far I'm very happy with them. Lots of character and harmonics but not too bright. The question of course is, how long will that last?

Thanks again for everybody's contribution.

Phil

• Like 1