Why become a member? ×

Botox and Fillers (would you) audition related

Here's one for you.

Would anyone here go down the these routes to make themselves look a bit better, less haggered, younger.................whatever

I have always said no, this is what I look like (pretty good for 56 years old, if I do say so myself)

But I have an audition coming up in a few weeks (with a fairly well known group) and have decided to pull out all the stops, in a hope that I get the gig.

So I took the plunge, with the help of Mrs PS and her cosmetic genius at a place in Chistlehurst

come on then.......................spill the beans

Edited by police squad
  • Like 2
  • Sad 1

• police squad changed the title to Botox and Fillers (would you) audition related
Just now, Steve Browning said:

Personally, no. You can't beat nature so I'm not even trying.

If you get the gig, does that mean you're then on a perpetual treadmill?

probably not no. Just a little enhancement to turn heads (coloured contact lenses too)

• Like 1

I play in a genre that is image conscious (goth/post-punk/dark wave). So far I have been able to disguise that fact that I'm in my 60s by still being relatively slim, having enough hair to actually have a suitable hairstyle, a bit of make-up, and doing my best not to act like an old man. The fact that I still look quite a bit younger than many of my contemporaries who haven't aged particularly well, definitely helps.

• Like 2

No way, a major part of what gets a gig is the subconscious decision making of the band and the auditionee's sense of self/authenticity feeds into that significantly. IMO the only thing worse that someone not trying hard enough to get a gig is someone trying too hard 👍

• Like 1

Good luck with the audition.  

My thoughts are, if these things arent permanent (I dont know enough to know) then its down to how much you want to be in the band. If its not permanent then if you feel comfy go for it.  Is it any different to changing your hair, clothes, gear for a gig? not really. If its permanent and thisis a dream gig, its your call.

Its a entertainment industry after all. 

Enjoy.

Jonny

• Like 3

Yeah, I'd do it if I was really keen to get the gig and it was genuinely important to look a certain way to get it ( and keep it ) . I wouldn't do anything permanent, like a tattoo or a facelift, but fllers, make-up , hair cut and dye, yes.

Don't want to open can of worms, but I assume the OP is male ? How differently would a female think ? My guess is they wouldn't think twice.

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, chrisba said:

Yeah, I'd do it if I was really keen to get the gig and it was genuinely important to look a certain way to get it ( and keep it ) . I wouldn't do anything permanent, like a tattoo or a facelift, but fllers, make-up , hair cut and dye, yes.

Don't want to open can of worms, but I assume the OP is male ? How differently would a female think ? My guess is they wouldn't think twice.

Good post.

I imagine a woman in @police squad's situation might feel slightly more pressured than a man into trying to improve her appearance. However, note my use of "feel" - it would, I think, be mostly in her mind. Most women of my generation (and PS's) have been raised - by society if not necessarily by their family - with the idea that you should always try to look your best in order to progress your career or generally be taken more seriously in anything you do. The entertainment business is the same, only more so! So we would already be making a huge effort in a case like this.

If you want the gig badly enough, I don't think there's anything wrong at all in using "tweakments" (technical term, people! Look it up...). As someone suggests in a previous post, musicians have stage clothes and accessories, choose the right bass/guitar/drumkit for the look, etc. and improving your appearance (in the gym, at the stylist's, at the cosmetic clinic) falls under that same category. However, as that previous post adds, it's keeping up the appearance that may trap you in. Will you have to do botox and dye your hair from now on in order to stay in the band? What happens if you don't? Would it be like meeting someone on a dating app and discovering they put a 20-year-old photo of themselves on their profile? Will the band have fallen in love with you in the meantime and accept you as you are?

Edited by Silvia Bluejay
Typos, grammar!
  • Like 7
  • Thanks 1

In similar vein, if you con a bunch of 30-year-olds into accepting a 50-year-old as a band member, how long will it be before (a) the deception is discovered, or (b) you realise how little you actually have in common with those youngsters ... they grew up listening to different music, watching different TV shows, wearing different fashions.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Happy Jack said:

In similar vein, if you con a bunch of 30-year-olds into accepting a 50-year-old as a band member, how long will it be before (a) the deception is discovered, or (b) you realise how little you actually have in common with those youngsters ... they grew up listening to different music, watching different TV shows, wearing different fashions.

.... and don't share your sense of humour :) 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, police squad said:

Here's one for you.

Would anyone here go down the these routes to make themselves look a bit better, less haggered, younger.................whatever

I have always said no, this is what I look like (pretty good for 56 years old, if I do say so myself)

But I have an audition coming up in a few weeks (with a fairly well known group) and have decided to pull out all the stops, in a hope that I get the gig.

So I took the plunge, with the help of Mrs PS and her cosmetic genius at a place in Chistlehurst

come on then.......................spill the beans

Before and after pics?

I've had a lot of plastic surgery - but only for medical reasons (not vanity) and is nowhere near my face/outward appearance. 

To be fair, the scars from the remains of the surgery have left me looking like Dr Frankenstein's plaything, so no one but my (poor suffering) wife and medical professionals get to see it.

Even before my medical issues, I have been kicked out of bands in the past for, as an over-tall fat bloke, not "fitting their group image".     

• Like 2

Back in the 70s I lived in big shared flats & houses with loads of wannabee musos. Almost invariably guitarists, they routinely stood 6' tall and weighed 98lbs, wore ripped denim and leopardskin prints, had spikey peroxide hair and played a Les Paul. All they lacked was talent. 

The best of the lot was actually a pretty close friend for over 10 years and By God! did he look the business, but at every rehearsal he had to get the bass player to tune his Flying V. 

• Haha 3