Why become a member? ×

Botox and Fillers (would you) audition related

Regarding Botox and fillers etc, or any similar "procedures", they aren't going to make you look younger or fool anybody that you are eternally youthful. At best you will just look like another silly middle-aged bloke who has had botox and fillers to try and hold onto the past. Do you really want to pretend that you are eternally in your twenties? It's no more convincing than someone who is going bald having a comb-over.

There's nothing wrong with wanting to look good whatever age you are, but the secret to looking your best is to  embrace the inevitable changes and make the most of whatever age you are. Self-consciously trying to look younger will just make you look a pillock. Society has changed so much that you don't even need to change your style that much as you age. Fifty years ago an OAP would have looked ridiculous wearing jeans and a t-shirt. Nowadays no one would notice. You don't have to become an old man just because you are over fourty anymore.

If you can maintain a healthy weight then that's a big help as you get older, not just to look good but also because of the health benefits. There's nothing like middle-aged spread to make you look middle-aged. Other than that, you can find a personalised style that makes you look fashionable in a classic way, not necessarily following the latest trend.

It's true that age is just a number, but it's a number that signifies how old you are, and how old you are makes profound differences to your life whether you acknowledge it or not. Trying too hard to be younger than your years never works, it just makes you look desperate. You can still look great as you get older, but you have to acknowledge the fact that things are changing and make allowances for that.

Edited by Misdee
  • Like 8

19 minutes ago, Misdee said:

It's true that age is just a number, but it's a number that signifies how old you are, and how old you are makes profound differences to your life whether you acknowledge it or not. Trying too hard to be younger than your years never works, it just makes you look desperate. You can still look great as you get older, but you have to acknowledge the fact that things are changing and make allowances for that.

Agreed, and I'll bet no one who's had  botox or any kind of work and walked into a room ever heard someone say

" Hey look, a young person" lol

Daryl

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Misdee said:

Regarding Botox and fillers etc, or any similar "procedures", they aren't going to make you look younger or fool anybody that you are eternally youthful. At best you will just look like another silly middle-aged bloke who has had botox and fillers to try and hold onto the past. Do you really want to pretend that you are eternally in your twenties? It's no more convincing than someone who is going bald having a comb-over.

There's nothing wrong with wanting to look good whatever age you are, but the secret to looking your best is to  embrace the inevitable changes and make the most of whatever age you are. Self-consciously trying to look younger will just make you look a pillock. Society has changed so much that you don't even need to change your style that much as you age. Fifty years ago an OAP would have looked ridiculous wearing jeans and a t-shirt. Nowadays no one would notice. You don't have to become an old man just because you are over fourty anymore.

If you can maintain a healthy weight then that's a big help as you get older, not just to look good but also because of the health benefits. There's nothing like middle-aged spread to make you look middle-aged. Other than that, you can find a personalised style that makes you look fashionable in a classic way, not necessarily following the latest trend.

Good post!

But would a bit of hair dye count as being anything "too much" to hide those greys? Is it any different to (mostly) women wearing make-up which no one gives second thought to ie has become a completely social norm?

Are we applying different rules and standards to men and women in critiquing one group but pretty much expecting it from the other?

Edited by Al Krow
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Bluewine said:

Agreed, and I'll bet no one who's had  botox or any kind of work and walked into a room ever heard someone say

" Hey look, a young person" lol

Daryl

Agreed. They're more likely to say "Hey look. A corpse".

Some of the Botox/fillers techniques have their roots in the mortician's trade, where cadavers are prettied up to look good in the casket for the wake/funeral.

• Like 2

Nope far to gone, would need a couple bags of ready mix to sort my old "lived a life" face...haha. But then Im never going to be autioning for a band with anyone under 60... and my cruising days are long gone. (apprently you actually have to look good to do the ships, thats y they tend to only take on young guys)

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Al Krow said:

Are we applying different rules and standards to men and women in critiquing one group but pretty much expecting it from the other?

Yes. Up to and including recent times a man's worth was derived from status and resources, while a woman's was largely from beauty and thus marriageability.  (Sounds archaic now, right?)  So, apart from the aristocracy of previous centuries, it has been predominantly women who wore make up to enhance their 'worth', such as it was.  Any bloke who wore make up was seen as a bit of a big girl's blouse. This would appear to still be the case to a large extent unless you're in some famous new romantic band.... but the times.. they are a-changing and who knows how norms will change in the coming years.

• Like 2

Stage makeup and wigs are completely  different to trying to pass yourself off as someone younger. 

I saw a band many years ago at Butlins playing hair metal in the night club after 11pm. They were very good, but something wasn't right - the music was too clinical and they had no tattoos.

Then I realised it was the same band that had just been playing agadoo to the kids 2 hours before just with wigs and different clothing. 

I suspect I was the only person who noticed. All my friends thought they we awesome.

I was asked to wear a wig to play in a thrash metal band about 15 years ago. I declined. The only comment I got was in the toilets from some idiot who called me "baldy". I have no idea why, or what effect he thought it would have on me. 

So changing your off stage look and persona to fit in? I don't think it's necessary.

I think one of the aspects to getting more mature is that these things shouldn't bother you, you should be comfortable with how you look by then. 

Edited by TimR
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, odysseus said:

This would appear to still be the case to a large extent unless you're in some famous new romantic band.... but the times.. they are a-changing and who knows how norms will change in the coming years.

It's always been the case. Men used to wear dresses pantaloons 

and pink.

The current fads are a result of people not getting attention from their parents, this is technically classed as neglect, and is going to have far reaching consequences. The iPad generation, where whole families sit on devices.  Gen-X got loads of attention but it was a different kind. A healthy mix of letting kids play outside until dark and severe punishment if they weren't back in time for tea.

So now we have a "look at me" generation doing more outlandish things to gain attention.

Edited by TimR
  • Like 1

31 minutes ago, TimR said:

It's always been the case. Men used to wear dresses pantaloons 

and pink.

The current fads are a result of people not getting attention from their parents, this is technically classed as neglect, and is going to have far reaching consequences. The iPad generation, where whole families sit on devices.  Gen-X got loads of attention but it was a different kind. A healthy mix of letting kids play outside until dark and severe punishment if they weren't back in time for tea.

So now we have a "look at me" generation doing more outlandish things to gain attention.

Does this explain 'K-Pop'..? I've always wondered. :/

Looking at this objectively, I see it much along the lines of that TV show that Gok Wan used to do, 10 Years Younger. It’s just implementing a few things here & there that will shave off a few years without making any actual differences. I wouldn’t do it myself but I see it much the same as wearing a suit/shirt/tie to an interview, it’s preparation to achieve something. 

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, Dad3353 said:

Does this explain 'K-Pop'..? I've always wondered. :/

It explains most things. The difference now is the whole world is your potential audience instead of your school/village/town. And you're competing against the rest of the world to cut through the noise. 

It's not great...

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Misdee said:

I wonder how many of my 60s male stars are wearing toupees and hair peices?

Daryl

24 minutes ago, Bluewine said:

I wonder how many of my 60s male stars are wearing toupees and hair peices?

Daryl

Some people are very sensitive about baldness.

Someone was throwing around a hair piece at work last week. It was incredibly realistic and was comfortable to wear. Yes, I had to put ot on fir a laugh. The 'rugs' of the 70s and 80s have gone. 

I just wouldn't want to wear one for a gig or work. Maybe a play, or if the band were part of a stage show where it wasn't an issue or a surprise if there was a malfunction. 

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, miles'tone said:

Nah, I prefer to age naturally with my million dollar smile intact.

Currently the estimate to fix my million dollar smile is £5k. Having spent nearly £5k already over the last 15 years I'm considering letting everything fall out and starting again from scratch with a holiday to Turkey...

Just concerned over the unnatural shade of white I've seen.

Absolutely not. If I was ever hung up enough on my appearance to want to use surgery to change it, I would think that the problem lies elsewhere with me. You often see people who have had surgery where further down the line, they look far worse than if they'd not had it at all when they were younger.

• Like 1

IMO changing your appearance in an attempt to look younger never really works. You can always see it's old person trying to look young.

The only thing I'd suggest to "older" men is lose the gut.

• Like 2

On 23/08/2024 at 09:14, chrisba said:

Yeah, I'd do it if I was really keen to get the gig and it was genuinely important to look a certain way to get it ( and keep it ) . I wouldn't do anything permanent, like a tattoo or a facelift, but fllers, make-up , hair cut and dye, yes.

Don't want to open can of worms, but I assume the OP is male ? How differently would a female think ? My guess is they wouldn't think twice.

Well, I can't speak for every woman but for myself and some of the women I know who are in bands, we wouldn't get a tattoo or a facelift for a band. I do have a fair bit of ink but because I wanted it and not to appease anyone but myself. Like BigRedX, I'm also in the goth scene but I've not felt pressure to present in any way that I didn't want to. Heck, I don't even wear makeup - but, no one's going to accuse me of not being goth enough with some of the tattoos I have. Likewise, I do not wear my years quite as heavily as others seem to do.

• Like 1

I don't think that the OP is trying to cling on to his youth or whatever the normal motive is for guys going down the botox / fillers path, just trying to get through an audition and look the part in promo photos, etc. 

Although I wouldn't 100% rule it out, I don't think that I would do it. I reckon that I don't look too bad for my age (early 60s), but the (almost) six pack is a distant memory and while I still have longish hair, it is a bit thinner in places. While dying my hair or getting more ink would be OK, but I'm not keen on fillers, etc. I know a couple out in Spain who do this as a matter of course and she kinda looks like a cartoon of a pretty girl, while the (older) guy looks alright but still has that slightly surprised look all of the time. 

I have made a conscious effort to start getting gigs in slightly different genres as I've got older. I can still look reasonably cool onstage in a blues band, but I'm not so sure that I can carry off the leather trousers or whatever I used to wear in a straight up hard rock act these days! 

Edited by peteb
  • Like 3

A keyboardist I work with is into recreational botox. He looks great, in a gameshow host kind of way. He also works out, looks after his hair, and dresses well, so that goes much further than a jab every few months. He's into rave culture so he's not nearly the only one in his social circle who partakes.

Irritatingly I also know a very youthful sextegenarian who spends all his spare time at sex parties, when he isn't dating thirty year olds, and he was an alcoholic amphetamine lunatic for three decades. Yoga, dark chocolate, and a buzzcut every two weeks apparently. He's also a brickie who speaks three languages and is on first-name terms with a dozen rockstars, so I think he's just an interesting guy who would be popular even if he didn't have the physique of a fourty year old. 

• Like 2