Why become a member? ×

Botox and Fillers (would you) audition related

17 minutes ago, Happy Jack said:

Back in the 70s I lived in big shared flats & houses with loads of wannabee musos. Almost invariably guitarists, they routinely stood 6' tall and weighed 98lbs, wore ripped denim and leopardskin prints, had spikey peroxide hair and played a Les Paul. All they lacked was talent. 

The best of the lot was actually a pretty close friend for over 10 years and By God! did he look the business, but at every rehearsal he had to get the bass player to tune his Flying V. 

Similar thing here. A guy who owned two nursing homes. Must have spent most of the profits on a guitar collection and clothes. Trust me when I say no-one looked more like a great guitarist. Imagine a young Jimmie Vaughan making more of an effort. He was a shocking guitarist, mind.

• Haha 4

At 58 I’ve very few lines, maybe a couple round the eyes at most. Most people think I’m younger than I am when speaking to me as that’s at a relatively close distance, but from afar, well bald head, very bad posture due to back, well I’m lucky to look under 60 so that’s how my adoring public see me. As they say, you can’t polish one but you can roll it in glitter.

But to answer the original question, while Botox/surgery isn’t necessarily for me how do I quantify my tattoos - a permanent procedure carried out which makes me look different than before, cosmetic surgery possibly?

Edited by Lozz196

I'm lucky that I look a fair bit younger than my mid-50's. But coming late to music after a decent career as an engineer (where only my skills mattered) it was a bit of a shock to see, on social media, mediocre music by pretty young women getting lots of love, and good music by older, grey-haired women being ignored. Also, I see very competent young female musicians posting mostly photos with thigh and cleavage and (as someone who grew up immersed in 1980s women's lib) that's quite depressing that they feel that's a way to get on. In contrast it does seem that in many genres people feel a weather-worn older man, guitar in hand, knows something of life and has songs & stories worth listening to. So (to get back to the point of the topic) yes, I can see in due course I might well 'get some work done'. 

Edited by Rosie C
  • Like 4

I'm of the opinion that appearances are of little or no importance, it's what's inside that counts. 'Judging a book by its cover' and all that shallowness baffles me somewhat. To each his/her own, naturally, but I find it all rather sad. :(

• Like 4

As a 74 yo bloke I do need to uprate my image a little - I think I'll try showing a bit of thigh and cleavage on stage this weekend - see how it goes down with the Dorset punters!

• Like 1
  • Haha 9

1 minute ago, Gasman said:

As a 74 yo bloke I do need to uprate my image a little - I think I'll try showing a bit of thigh and cleavage on stage this weekend - see how it goes down with the Dorset punters!

Post photos!

• Haha 3

Yeah  . . . no, if someone asked me to go down that route for a band, they'd need full reconstructive surgery 🙂

I mean, look like the part for the band yeah, but not injecting botulism into your face, if I end up looking like Keith Richards sack so be it!

by

Chris 37 and I look bad for my age

• Haha 2

2 hours ago, tegs07 said:

Watching festival acts recently it would appear that looking really past your prime is now almost a pre-requisite! A good percentage of the big hitters are 70+

This is the look I aim for when gigging....

image.png.efb3d57a1a7b00a527aa1b3764f81313.png

Given this is how I currently look....

image.thumb.png.0c0d0e097384ee04a366ab838bafacaf.png

....I also have to do a lot of cosmetic work ahead of gigs 👍

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

In all honesty, I’m 13 years younger than the drummer, 9 years younger than the singer and I dress like a 17 year old…so…I not only look younger, but also totally ridiculous too 🤣

my beard adds years.

i could pass for 30 if I shaved it off.

Mrs T says I look about 13 when I do shave - she hates it.

IMG_1244.thumb.jpeg.4c4e6633e8584b46d76357d2ec249cfb.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

3 hours ago, chrisba said:

Yeah, I'd do it if I was really keen to get the gig and it was genuinely important to look a certain way to get it ( and keep it ) . I wouldn't do anything permanent, like a tattoo or a facelift, but fllers, make-up , hair cut and dye, yes.

Don't want to open can of worms, but I assume the OP is male ? How differently would a female think ? My guess is they wouldn't think twice.

yes absolutely, I am male. I wouldn't do anything permanent either

35 minutes ago, Stofferson said:

Yeah  . . . no, if someone asked me to go down that route for a band, they'd need full reconstructive surgery 🙂

I mean, look like the part for the band yeah, but not injecting botulism into your face, if I end up looking like Keith Richards sack so be it!

by

Chris 37 and I look bad for my age

no one has asked me to do this, I decided to do it

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Silvia Bluejay said:

Good post.

I imagine a woman in @police squad's situation might feel slightly more pressured than a man into trying to improve her appearance. However, note my use of "feel" - it would, I think, be mostly in her mind. Most women of my generation (and PS's) have been raised - by society if not necessarily by their family - with the idea that you should always try to look your best in order to progress your career or generally be taken more seriously in anything you do. The entertainment business is the same, only more so! So we would already be making a huge effort in a case like this.

If you want the gig badly enough, I don't think there's anything wrong at all in using "tweakments" (technical term, people! Look it up...). As someone suggests in a previous post, musicians have stage clothes and accessories, choose the right bass/guitar/drumkit for the look, etc. and improving your appearance (in the gym, at the stylist's, at the cosmetic clinic) falls under that same category. However, as that previous post adds, it's keeping up the appearance that may trap you in. Will you have to do botox and dye your hair from now on in order to stay in the band? What happens if you don't? Would it be like meeting someone on a dating app and discovering they put a 20-year-old photo of themselves on their profile? Will the band have fallen in love with you in the meantime and accept you as you are?

I've been dying my hair blonde for 20 years now. 

I'm doing this to enhance my chances, it's not making me look 20 years younger, I don't need that.

Will I keep it up, I don't know. If I get the gig, I'll see how it goes, if I don't get it I won't bother (The filler was quite painful actually)

• Like 1

Bizarrely enough I had a leaflet through the door this week saying I could still have good sex at 67.

Which was nice.

Because I live at no.78 so I won't have far to walk afterwards.

• Like 1
  • Haha 16

I'd consider getting shot of the beard. I only grew it because I couldn't be arsed shaving during lockdown, and now it's much lower maintenance than shaving and Mrs Zero doesn't object too much. At 66 I think I'm a little past the point where cosmetics would be meaningful. The absence of hair doesn't help either.

Best of luck with the audition.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, police squad said:

no one has asked me to do this, I decided to do it

Fair enough sir, entirely your prerogative. 

I auditioned for a band once, I had to leave as they wore silly hats and paisley shirts. Made me shiver 😂

• Haha 3