Why become a member? ×

Thomann 111

hpc364

Hi !

I've been playing the double bass for six months now.

My double bass is a Thomann 111, when I ordered it they asked me the setup I wanted (string height), so I said "jazz".

The instrument came very well protected, the action is 8mm for G and 12mm for E.

When I read comments on forums mostly in talkbass (sorry), I think to myself the action is too high but out of this forum it seems to be "normal".

I forgot to mention the strings are cheap, they are steel strings, the brand is Artino, it's what Thomann says.

The double has got a good sound, I put a double piezo on it (Shadow 950), I filed some wood in order to install it.

Everyone says it sounds good.

I think it's the way to go for an affordable double bass.

Edited by hpc364
  • Like 2

That action is at the higher end for a steel string "jazz" setup. Not badly so, but it might be worth considering getting a setup and/or adjustable bridge when you next have some money after buying decent strings :)

Edited by tinyd
  • Thanks 1

On 27/08/2024 at 23:13, Bloopdad1 said:

Awesome. 

Sounds like a decent instrument. 

Invest in a set of Evah Pirazzi (or similar strings) and it'll be a mega instrument. 

Happy playing. 

Oh ! These strings are very expensive !

13 hours ago, tinyd said:

That action is at the higher end for a steel string "jazz" setup. Not badly so, but it might be worth considering getting a setup and/or adjustable bridge when you next have some money after buying decent strings :)

What are decent strings ? I was thinking about Gut-a-Like, Pyramid, in that range.

3 hours ago, hpc364 said:

Oh ! These strings are very expensive !

What are decent strings ? I was thinking about Gut-a-Like, Pyramid, in that range.

I'd agree with @Bloopdad1 about Evah Pirazzi - I use the light ones and they're really good.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, hpc364 said:

Thanks, at that price, everyone hopes they are good.

Haha, yep, they're very expensive alright. I've had the same set on for about six years and they were second hand when I got them. They still sound OK but I keep thinking about getting some new ones....

3 hours ago, hpc364 said:

Thanks, at that price, everyone hopes they are good.

Evahs are not that expensive for bass strings....! Have a look at how much a set of Eudoxas are (then think about the extra £210 needed for the B string on a 5 string bass!). 

I suggested Evahs as they are very easy on the hands and give a "decent middle of the road" sound. 

They bow "ok" and give a decent pizz. 

Medium set for general, light if you're mostly pizz. 

Don't forget that Evahs are usually dead after about 18months of heavy playing. 

Tempera Hybrids would be another option as would Belcantos (plus many more down the string rabbit hole!) 

Either way, have fun. 

55 minutes ago, Bloopdad1 said:

Evahs are not that expensive for bass strings....! Have a look at how much a set of Eudoxas are (then think about the extra £210 needed for the B string on a 5 string bass!). 

I suggested Evahs as they are very easy on the hands and give a "decent middle of the road" sound. 

They bow "ok" and give a decent pizz. 

Medium set for general, light if you're mostly pizz. 

Don't forget that Evahs are usually dead after about 18months of heavy playing. 

Tempera Hybrids would be another option as would Belcantos (plus many more down the string rabbit hole!) 

Either way, have fun. 

I think I will change the strings when my hands don't have fun anymore.

• Like 1

Lady at my orchestra has a basic laminate Eastwood bass with a set of Eva's on it. Ribbons on a pig in some ways, but it makes her bass nicer to play and it sounds ok ( if rather quiet ).  I think the bass cost £1200 and the strings £220 and I'm tempted to say she should have spent more on the bass ... But a £1400 bass wouldn't really be better, unless it also had £200 strings on it.  Given they last forever, for us non pros who aren't knocking out Neilson and Bruckner every night 😉.... it's not a bad investment.

My Eva's are 2 years old and as good as new after orchestra every week, jazz gigs twice a month or so and ( not enough) home practice.

• Like 2