Why become a member? ×

Learning the fretboard

1 hour ago, Bass Novice said:

I'm on my way to intermediate with my bass (but still a long way to go), but I have never learned my way around the fretboard properly, and so cant find notes easily. What is the best way to learn this?

Play the notes, and name them, out loud, each time. Do this slowly, it's the fastest way to learn stuff like this. :friends:

• Like 1

Do it in stages:

Learn the four strings: E A D G

Learn the notes on the E string (register the pairs and these gaps): EF G A BC D E

Now easy to navigate the A string (just the E string shifted up five frets): A BC D EF G A

Now realise the D and G strings are just the E and A moved up two frets: D EF G A BC D and G A BC D EF G

If you need a sharp or flat, it's never more than one fret up or down from one of those above.

7 minutes ago, Stub Mandrel said:

Do it in stages:

Learn the four strings: E A D G

Learn the notes on the E string (register the pairs and these gaps): EF G A BC D E

Now easy to navigate the A string (just the E string shifted up five frets): A BC D EF G A

Now realise the D and G strings are just the E and A moved up two frets: D EF G A BC D and G A BC D EF G

If you need a sharp or flat, it's never more than one fret up or down from one of those above.

... All Good Stuff, but play the notes, and name them, out loud, each time. Do this slowly, it's the fastest way to learn stuff like this. :friends:

• Like 2

There are lots of different approaches to this. If you find one that seems to be working, stick with it until you have complete confidence in your knowledge of the fretboard. It will take a lot of repetition...

Here's one that has reputation behind it: https://www.studybass.com/lessons/fretboard-notes/memorizing-fretboard-note-names/

• Like 2

Learn your scales and play them across all frets and all strings. . . up and down the neck.

Or, you could just play your favorite songs. Then you could work out those notes and the rest will start to come to you.

• Like 1

First exercise Joe Hubbard gave me back in the day; start with the low E note, then play every E on the E string, then A string, then D, then G.... then play them back down (as in reverse, high to low). 

Then move on to the F, F# etc until you've cover the lot. Sing the note each time. If it's a #, for instance F#, sing F# on the way up and Gb on the way down. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, chris_b said:

Learn your scales and play them across all frets and all strings. . . up and down the neck.

Having had my first lesson last week, my mandolin teacher has me learning a 2-octave G major scale and the arpeggios for G, Am, Bm, C, D, Em and F#dim. Compared to bass lessons I've had it's brutal, but I am learning quite quickly.

Edited by Rosie C
  • Like 2

What bits do you need to learn?

I'd say a bare minimum to aim for is

E to B on the E string.

A to E on the A string.

D to G on the D string.

G Bb C on the G string.

Then go from there. Fill in the gaps by playing to chord charts in different keys. 

C, Db major and Bb minor will help a lot.

6 hours ago, Boodang said:

First exercise Joe Hubbard gave me back in the day; start with the low E note, then play every E on the E string, then A string, then D, then G.... then play them back down (as in reverse, high to low). 

Then move on to the F, F# etc until you've cover the lot. Sing the note each time. If it's a #, for instance F#, sing F# on the way up and Gb on the way down. 

This is an excellent exercise for double bass and one I do regularly to keep my intonation ok. I’m still rubbish, obviously, but it’s helping.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

6 hours ago, Boodang said:

6 hours ago, Rosie C said:

Having had my first lesson last week, my mandolin teacher has me learning a 2-octave G major scale and the arpeggios for G, Am, Bm, C, D, Em and F#dim. Compared to bass lessons I've had it's brutal, but I am learning quite quickly.

Ive done both of these exercises on bass with Joe Hubbard. You learn the notes very quickly.

Even now I’m still practicing similar variations.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Boodang said:

That’s also what Steve Vai advocated 

I started by learning the pattern of ABCDEFG from the open A string up to the fifth fret on the D string. I found that was a good place to start and I could identify other notes from their octave etc. 

This possibly going to make me sound like a complete hack but I suspect I'd only be instantly 100% accurate in test conditions on the bottom two strings.

A "two strings up, two frets up" shape in my head unlocks the top two strings.

I run scales and arpeggios incessantly though when idly noodling in front of the TV so when I'm playing I'm pretty on it in terms of hitting particular notes in terms of their relationship to the root - but it might take me a moment the actually tell you their name...

I don't anticipate ever having to sight read anything so this is a useful compromise for me.

Danny Thompson tells the tale of John Martyn having no idea of the names of the chords he played, recognising them only by shape. I suspect he was exaggerating a little but there's probably a good lesson in there about working on the things that enhance your musicality rather than getting lost in dogma.

(Which is not an anti-theory sentiment btw: I find music theory fascinating and useful - just saying that it's sensible to choose your battles depending on your requirements)

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Dankology said:

(Which is not an anti-theory sentiment btw: I find music theory fascinating and useful - just saying that it's sensible to choose your battles depending on your requirements)

I enjoy reading about musical theory. 🎼

I tend to find things that explain why a particular approach works rather than the other way around.

• Like 2

On 24/08/2024 at 10:27, chris_b said:

5 hours ago, Dankology said:

A "two strings up, two frets up" shape in my head unlocks the top two strings.

I run scales and arpeggios incessantly though when idly noodling in front of the TV so when I'm playing I'm pretty on it in terms of hitting particular notes in terms of their relationship to the root - but it might take me a moment to actually tell you their name...

Same. I learnt the major and minor scales. They tell me where to put my fingers next. I can tell you immediately the names of the frets (i.e. the notes) on each string up to the seventh fret. Anything else I can work out. But I knew where to put my fingers long before I knew the names of the notes. 

• Like 1

People have different ways of learning. So if one of the above methods doesn’t seem to work, don’t be discouraged & try another method. 

The way I learned was by finding some key notes that I used regularly & where they are up to around the 12th fret. So I learned where every E is. I did the same with each string. 
Now if you want to find a C, just locate the D & move down 2 frets. Then once you’re fairly comfortable, the notes above the 12th are just a repeat of the lower 12. 

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, xgsjx said:

People have different ways of learning. So if one of the above methods doesn’t seem to work, don’t be discouraged & try another method. 

The way I learned was by finding some key notes that I used regularly & where they are up to around the 12th fret. So I learned where every E is. I did the same with each string. 
Now if you want to find a C, just locate the D & move down 2 frets. Then once you’re fairly comfortable, the notes above the 12th are just a repeat of the lower 12. 

What ever works for you, so I’m not criticising, but the first thing that was said to me when I had lessons was ‘how many bass players do you know that find a D by going two frets back from the E’! 
A month of doing any note finder exercise will just nail it for life. We’re lucky we can play scales and arpeggios from pattern and just move them around but it so helps if the start points, the notes, are all just instantly visualised.

• Like 1