Why become a member? ×

Quitting the wrong band

I quit the band I was in this week as I couldn’t put up with the disorganised chaos!!

I spent 3months with the wrong guys learning a new set but the penny dropped and I thought get out and find a better band ! 

I guess a lesson learnt don’t waste your time in the wrong band !!

Im excited about a new opportunity though and it already feels the right thing. 

How many of you have joined and then realised you just don’t gel with your band buddies !! ?? 

• Like 1

Yep, I decided 2 years back that I needed to find something new, and answered an ad for an originals band. Met up with them, jammed and they loved my playing (I guess someone has to haha!), and I agreed to join.

Within about 24 hours I realised I’d made a mistake, as the messages on the group chat went a bit weird. I gracefully bowed out as quickly as I could and then found myself being given the opportunity to join up with Katy Hurt and band instead, so it worked out great. I’m now with a group of people I really like, and get to watch/listen as Katy wows crowds with her voice and songs.

Edited by Merton
Added url
  • Like 11

8 minutes ago, Merton said:

I gracefully bowed out as quickly as I could and then found myself being given the opportunity to join up with Katy Hurt and band instead,

That sounds like a great gig. I wouldn’t mind playing a bit of Americana myself, in addition to my current band (mod/ska/northern soul/etc) as a contrast.

• Like 1

God yes. I felt like a gambler pouring cash into a fruit machine trying to win back his losses.

Every interminable awkward rehearsal just increased my investment. 

The two gigs we eventually did were like limp lettuce. The guitarist was a control freak, the drummer like a badly programmed machine. Other members didn't care and the singer was the only one with any ability.

I bailed when the singer left. An awful waste of time but a valuable lesson.

• Like 3

I just quit a band a few weeks ago. I still like them as people and we are still friends, but I felt it was like a treadmill of rehearsals and no gigs. I checked my Google Calendar, and we'd done 48 rehearsals and nine gigs in 18 months. I bowed out gracefully, and even did some one-to-ones with my replacement to bring him up to speed. Don't burn those bridges.

I'm now concentrating on the main band, one band, and it's a great band too. Lots of potential, immense talent, studio recordings already done, video done, website done. Way fewer rehearsals and way more achieved in a much shorter time. Happy days.

Rob

• Like 5

When the singer's group chat posts started getting weird I was alerted to the possibility that this wouldn't last. After a number of members quit I was unsure how it was going to go. But when the singer left her own band it was really obvious that the band had folded!

Hope your audition goes well but as my old mate used to say "every time you audition for a band you should be auditioning them to see if YOU want to join after you've played together".

I've joined bands and have really liked the other members but if they don't show a decent level of commitment, or we're not all singing from the same hymn sheet as far as the set list is concerned, I bail early. I'm too long in the tooth for bands that will be hard work as I've been there, done it and got the T-shirt.

I had a nice little gig a few years back with a very established guitarist I've known for a while. A drummer we didn't know so well but did a good job. My pal the guitarist dropped out and the drummer found another guitarist. Set up a WhatsApp group, which I departed fairly quickly as the guy was clearly a knob. Defending chubby Brown and other horrible racists as just a laugh. Forget the music. For me if the values don't match I cant be part of something just for the sake of it. 

• Like 1

I wimped out and decided I'd go if the drummer baled out. Fortunately, he did, so I did. But 18 months and only 3 gigs, two free as a rewards for the place that gave us free practice space (which was OK) and one paying gig (that may SO found and I pushed hard mainly to see if they had the cojones to actually do it). Practicing the same songs until they are getting worse every time, ostensibly because we are waiting for the KB player to get the tricky bits right. The BL disappearing to Turkey for three months at a time...