Why become a member? ×

John Birch Fretless Thunderbird/£800

28 minutes ago, Happy Jack said:

The usual lack of any helpful information about the bass. I'd only consider buying it if I could spend 15 mins with it first.

The seller has had some really nice stuff previously, some very tasty Hamers, vintage Yamaha and Ibanez.

Terrible blurry, dingy photos, cursory 19-word description & zero evidence that it's a JB (not saying it's not, but the pics show a poorly photographed TBird copy with no clear identifying details) doesn't fill me with confidence or a desire to part with £800, to be honest.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Bassassin said:

Terrible blurry, dingy photos, cursory 19-word description & zero evidence that it's a JB (not saying it's not, but the pics show a poorly photographed TBird copy with no clear identifying details) doesn't fill me with confidence or a desire to part with £800, to be honest.

Having once owned a JB EB3 type bass, the bridge is certainly JB.  The neck joint appears similar to the bass I owned, neck through.  Beyond that who knows,the headstock on mine was inlayed John Birch. I am surprised the bass has lost the JB hyperflux pickups.

I’ve owned quite a few early John Birch basses and the biggest selling point to collectors are the pickups and unusual switching options. Later models after - John Carling took over - were much simpler in design. Possibly one of those? The ones I’ve owned have had a back scratchplate and a very comfortable neck to body design. I believe that in the early days John Birch was most interested in circuitry design and the main luthier was John Diggins.