Why become a member? ×

NAD - Guitar Sound System Sumo Monster

So I've been weighing up a lightweight alternative/ back up/ and hoc rehearsal amp for probably the last year or so. I run a GT200 as my only amp presently.

I've looked across a few options, such as Mesa, trace berg over the last year or so, but have ended up deciding to try this GSS Sumo Monster with a preamp set up. My main requirement was I wanted lots of power at 8 ohms to run my BF cab with, and expandability to run an 810 if required. 

So this arrived a couple of days ago. 1200w 4ohm, 800w at 8ohm and weighs c.3.2kg. It includes a power LED mod and variable psu, dual voltage auto detect. It's lightweight, looks sleek and very simple. I've rearranged my board with the origin and that'll be the pre.

Had two mins so far with it and it seems pretty cool. Rehearsing on Tuesday so I'll see how it goes and drop some thoughts back.

✌️

DSC_3132.thumb.JPG.fdf8c1a2bd1375a4e101ce99fe066814.JPG

DSC_3133.thumb.JPG.cd77993cb90d1c07ba433a3949c22dcf.JPG

DSC_3134.thumb.JPG.4fe538ec0f97d6b2111985c650cf246b.JPGpan widget

Edited by Salt on your Bass?
  • Like 6

Posted (edited)

Took the new amp to rehearsal on Tuesday and gave it a spin. Immediate first impression is that it's solid with the origin effects super vintage through my BF 410.  I play in a reasonably loud doom band, using a 5 string active bass.

Having reflected on it, I'm not really sure how to describe my thoughts tbh.... Summary:

Did it look cool?                               Yes

Was it light weight?                         Yes

Was it easy to set up?                    Yes

Did it make my bass really loud?   Yes

How loud?            Drowned the drums

Anymore headroom?                      Yes

How much?   Volume at about 2 oclock

The presence of my bass in the room was good, it felt like there was a fair amount of 'heft', and dynamics, and there was headroom to spare which is important I think to the whole responsiveness of the feel. 

Anyway, I have a bit more dialling in to do tbh with my band to get it a bit closer to my 'standard' matamp type tone and presence, and my gain staging was a little all over the place, but it was enjoyable and my favourite lightweight option to date. 

Gonna look for a foam case to transport it now. Will probably add a few more thoughts here next time I out it ✌️

DSC_3135.thumb.JPG.9fc9299494389878e32387eb0c25115c.JPG

Edited by Salt on your Bass?
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...

Only the second major outing tonight for rehearsal and I pushed the preamp a little harder, and the amp a little louder in the room. Tweaked the EQ a touch on the origin and had a really good jam with the band. 

The rig felt pretty responsive to touch and nuance, and the lows were nicely present filling the room. 

I'm really tempted to gig it in the near future but not sure I can bring myself not to take the matamp.... We'll see. 

Overall, continuing to be really happy with this purchase and performance ✌️

• Like 1