Why become a member? ×

Validating fender precision bass

Sennekroes

Wrong tuners, dodgy transfer on the headstock and truss rod access at the headstock by the looks of it? Dodgy neck so the rest is prob dodgy as well.

Edited by jezzaboy
  • Like 4

Yep, the instant giveaway is the truss rod access on the headstock.

Also the shape of the headstock is a bit off, even for 1970's Fender, and that decal was probably made by someone that's seen a picture of a fake Precision bass once on the internet and tried to replicate it.

Hard avoid.

• Like 3

Looks like a Squier VM Precision with a dodgy Fender decal (or the body and aftermarket neck at very least)

The truss rod access looks off and the fact it has a cheaper looking 'Duncan Design' pickup makes it suss immediately to me.

Pretty sure it's one of these...

https://images.app.goo.gl/oXmHr9NsPrZghDfL8

Edited by basshead56
  • Like 3

7 hours ago, basshead56 said:

Looks like a Squier VM Precision with a dodgy Fender decal (or the body and aftermarket neck at very least)

The truss rod access looks off and the fact it has a cheaper looking 'Duncan Design' pickup makes it suss immediately to me.

It’s definitely a 2 piece body and those pieces don’t match in the slightest 😂

• Like 1

I do not believe that is a genuine 70’s U.S.-made instrument. As others have said, the headstock looks wrong, the machine heads are incorrect, the matching of the body pieces look to be poor, cheaper “Dunacan-designed” pickups, incorrect vintage strap buttons. I think you get the picture.

• Like 2

Many things not right with this for a mid 70s precision as above , also black screws on the pickguard and it looks like the bridge has a curve to the top so not an original bridge , I’d stay clear of this one 

8 hours ago, basshead56 said:

This is 100% what it is. The tuners don't look like Squier tuners, so my best guess is an aftermarket neck (I'm thinking Mighty Mite), but the body is definitely a Squier Vintage Modified body.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, BassAgent said:

This is 100% what it is. The tuners don't look like Squier tuners, so my best guess is an aftermarket neck (I'm thinking Mighty Mite), but the body is definitely a Squier Vintage Modified body.

Mighty Mite necks are a whole lot better proportioned that that fugly thing, that looks like one of the rather cheap (£30) items that are sold from China via eBay. I've got one (not on purpose), it's not a bad neck for £30, but it has that same rather plump headstock :) 

• Like 1

18 hours ago, OliverBlackman said:

It’s definitely a 2 piece body and those pieces don’t match in the slightest 😂

Rather a shame, the top half looks lovely and if both halves were like that it could have been made into an attractive bass.