Why become a member? ×

Used head suggestions - Ampeg PF350?

hankhill

So my formerly trusty Peavey Minimax head died on me last night. I need a replacement quickly while I wait to get it repaired (or scrapped). Looking at a used Ampeg PF350, I’ll be running it through two 8 ohm 2x10 cabs (so 4 ohm total) with 300watt Celestion Neos. The Peavey at 500w into those cabs was never above 3 or 4 in volume so I’m hoping that the Ampeg’s lower 350w rating will be ok. I’ve seen that these Ampegs may seem prone to problems but not sure if they’re any worse than other brands on average. Any comments?  My priorities are simple controls, small form factor (cabs are only 33cm wide and we play small pub venues), decent volume, reliability. And not silly money. 

I used to have a PF500 which sounded great. The only issue was if I pushed it too hard it would go into some kind of standby mode, so I’d be a little cautious going with a less powerful version; especially if it’s driving two cabinets. 

12 minutes ago, simonlittle said:

I used to have a PF500 which sounded great. The only issue was if I pushed it too hard it would go into some kind of standby mode, so I’d be a little cautious going with a less powerful version; especially if it’s driving two cabinets. 

Yes I’d heard about these cutting out if overloaded, that was what worried me. 

10 minutes ago, Lozz196 said:

I’d look at some form of Ashdown, any issues and they’ll sort, being UK based makes this a doddle.

Actually my previous rig was Ashdown, see pic fyi. It was reliable until one of the speakers blew, but too heavy. I did speak to Aahdown and they happily sold me some replacement white speakers at cost, so yea good customer service. Those white line speakers were just heavy cheapo things though. 

IMG_5687.jpeg

On 25/08/2024 at 14:50, hankhill said:

Yes I’d heard about these cutting out if overloaded, that was what worried me. 

Only happened a couple of times but one of them was quite a big show and it made life rather awkward! 😬

So I’ve ordered a (new) TC Electronic BQ500, couldn’t believe how cheap they are. Not worth risking a used head if I can buy a new one with 3 years warranty for the same kind of price!

• Like 3

My Ampeg 2020 PF500 developed a fault which was uneconomic to repair,  the fault light showing just after switching it on, the repair company said it was a common fault on 350w & 500w models and the only solution was a new main board £280 + carriage.  On the other hand my experience with Ashdown has been excellent, I have 5 of their amps,  Dave Green has always been super helpful with advice, a repair on my 20 year old ABM300 was completed and returned free of charge, a rare thing for a company to stand by their products in today's world and something which now keeps me loyal to the brand

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 26/08/2024 at 17:38, hankhill said:

Admins, please feel free to delete or move this post, I can't work out how to.

If you click on the 3 dots at the top right of the post and select 'Report', that's the best way to get someone's attention. It's a bit obscure isn't it.