Why become a member? ×

Switching between Plectrum and Finger Style from song to song - do I need 2 Chanel Preamp Pedal - and if so .... which?

Pirellithecat

Starting to use Pick on more songs in our Set - varies from Fleetwood Mac to Guns 'n Roses and everything before and after! 
Pick use associated with greater use of Drive (currently Big Muff).
Suggestions for a pedal to allow quick change between styles ??? (and maybe replace Big Muff?)
I'm guessing something like a Sansamp VT Deluxe, but is there something else to consider? 
(Amp is Ashdown ABM600, bass varies from Sandberg VM4:Sire V5: PBass).  

Would you need two channels or just a good sound for fingerstyle set up with your amp and then maybe an EQ pedal to change to plectrum ? Or vice-versa.

EDIT: When I've mixed plectrum and fingerstyle I've usually used some kind of EQ to even up the sound - usually an EBS MicroBass II, as I do like the way the EQ section sounds.

Edited by ahpook
  • Like 1

No, you don't need another preamp when switching techniques. - or at least I don't. And I don't feel my tone suffers with either fingers or a plectrum either. 

But if you're looking for an excuse to buy a new toy...

• Like 2

I play a handful of songs with a pic, and use the same sound as when playing finger style. Can't say it bothers me, and I've not thought of trying to change my sound for each technique.

• Like 3

Must be "my" technique!   But I can't get a Duff McKagen sound to work next to a James Jamerson sound without a considerable amount of EQ'ing - and I'd rather have some kind of "pre-set" to avoid long gaps between songs.  Yeah ..... another toy😂

• Like 1

On 26/08/2024 at 17:34, Pirellithecat said:

Must be "my" technique!   But I can't get a Duff McKagen sound to work next to a James Jamerson sound without a considerable amount of EQ'ing - and I'd rather have some kind of "pre-set" to avoid long gaps between songs.  Yeah ..... another toy😂

I usually make that adjustment with the tone control on a Precision bass. I actually use the tone knob a lot anyway - a much quicker way to get in the mix than fiddling with a pedal or amp EQ

• Like 3

1 hour ago, NAS Bass said:

I usually make that adjustment with the tone control on a Precision bass. I actually use the tone knob a lot anyway - a much quicker way to get in the mix than fiddling with a pedal or amp EQ

Same here.

I'd suggest that options are preferable but not essential. 

A preamp (two channels will give you more flexibility); a medium gain crunchy drive (with clean blend is a bonus); and a decent compressor.*

My suggestions would be as follows: 

Relatively Inexpensive 

Pre: The Laney Digbeth rules supreme in its price range and also creams most of its more spendy brethren.

Drive: The Earthquaker Blumes or Laney Blackheath punch well above their weight and the EHX Hot Wax gives you two stackable sides and a clean blend. 

Comp: Boss LMB3 or Ampeg Optocomp are hard to beat for the price, or EBS Multicomp if stretching a bit further. 

More Cash

Pre: The Two Notes Revolt (has a third channel too). 

Drive: The Jam offerings have an extra gain stage, so added flexibility in a single unit (I use their screamerish offering called the Lucydreamer).

Comp: So many options but the Aguilar DB599 sounds excellent, is incredibly simple and is also tiny. I also have a soft spot for the Boss BC1X.

The Ampeg SGTDI may give you all you want (with some compromises) in a single unit. I haven't personally tried one but they review well.

*Add a chorus if you have the space and budget.

2 hours ago, NAS Bass said:

Yeah I think if I were looking at Duff McKagan to James Jamerson as the OP is I’d do the same, get the Duff sound on the amp with tone control fully on on the bass & play with a pick, back off to about 2/3 on the tone control & play fingerstyle for the Jamerson sound. 

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Lozz196 said:

Yeah I think if I were looking at Duff McKagan to James Jamerson as the OP is I’d do the same, get the Duff sound on the amp with tone control fully on on the bass & play with a pick, back off to about 2/3 on the tone control & play fingerstyle for the Jamerson sound. 

I think this approach is ok but quite limited. Treble roll-off in conjunction with a preamp/channel change and a couple of flavours of drive and you'll be getting a more satisfying contrast with minimal faff IMO. Personally, I'd be using foam for JJ too.

On 26/08/2024 at 17:34, Pirellithecat said:

I'd honestly be thinking two basses here with an A/B switcher? A P bass with old flats / maybe some foam and a Jazz or P with new (or new-ish) rounds will allow you to cover most musical situations quickly and easily without loads of faffing on with EQs etc. Fingers etc can only do some much in my experience. I use a Bright Onion dual input box with this exact approach for functions / theatre work / whatever else comes along. 

• Like 2

It really depends what your preferred finger-style and pick sounds are like, what pick(s) you use, and how hard the skin on your fingers is.

If you're not getting enough variation with your current setup I'd start by trying some different picks - different thicknesses and/or materials, because that might be all you need to do.

Finding the right pick for the sound you want is definitely worth while. I play with a pick that gives me a very similar sound to my fingers because for me the change in techniques is more about feel than tone. 

Otherwise go with a programmable effects unit that has a decent EQ section on it.

I use a compressor and then a Tech21 VTDI. Comp takes care of the different attack (in addition to helping the bass sit in the mix better), VTDI adds grit for fingers or pick as required. YMMV.

• Like 1

I play in bands with a big spread of songs, and the switching between pick and fingers (with a bit of EQ tweaking on the bass - something with a sweep-mid control is most useful, but just rolling the passive tone off does it, too) is enough to make the change. I do have a Rawkier preset on the Stomp for the very noisy ones, but even that's just the basic preset with the gain turned up for some grit.

• Like 1

It depends how much you need a really authentic recreation of the original bass sound. If you were playing to bass nerds it might be important but really just getting some of the essence should be sufficient, surely? 

For me if I use a pick I might roll down the volume knob on the bass a bit. But usually if I'm playing with a pick I want a more prominent bass sound so I just leave as is. If playing finger style and wanting a more traditional sound on my MM Stingray I might boost the kids, whereas I cut the kids for a lot of pick stuff to bring out the clank. But aside from a minor change to onboard EQ, or pickup balance of using a passive jazz, I wouldn't bother with major differences, it's just more to get wrong when you forget to switch it off for the next song.

Thanks everyone.  Maybe I'll have another go and see whether fiddling with the Bass controls does the trick.   Otherwise I might consider a Boss GEB7 so that I have an alternative tone option without fiddling about when playing .......... 

• 2 weeks later...

I have a Sansamp Programmable Bass DI. Three independent channels each with a foot-switch. Gain, distortion, blend and EQ settings for each. Absolutely love this thing and don't know what I'd do without it!

09021614025529f.png

Edited by Joe_L
Spelling and syntax correction.
  • Like 1