Why become a member? ×

Suggestions for intermediate 4 string fretted electric bass

I'm primarily an upright player but hjave been trying to improve my electric playing. I have a 5 string Overwater fretless, but I would like a fretted bass as well. I really dont know much about the different makes and models so am looking for recommendations for something under 1000 UK, but will be a decent instrument to play on, and good enough to gig with.

1 hour ago, javasound said:

... but I would like a fretted bass...

There are about half a dozen that fit the bill currently on the first page of the BC Marketplace, 'Basses For Sale' ...

If none there appeal, there's an MTD Kingston Artist 4-string on the Bass Direct site worth a glance. You're spoiled for choice, really; Good Hunting. :friends:

As Dad3353 says, you're spoilt for choice with that budget, especially if you are happy to buy second hand. If you do buy used, you won't lose much money if you decide it doesn't suit you and move it on. Have a browse through the classifieds and see what takes your fancy.

Personally I'm happy to gig my Sire, which cost around £600 new a couple of years ago - but then I wanted a 5-string precision, which are not that common second hand and within budget. Before that a spent a few years playing a Squier P-bass that cost me only £150 second hand from these forums.

The quality of "cheap" basses is so much better than it used to be years ago.

Perhaps do a little YouTube research and see which basses sound good to you for the type of music you'll be playing (precision, jazz, Musicman, Gibson EB, etc). Being a DB player you'll probably want a full scale bass (34" or above) rather than a short scale (30" or less)

Now prepare yourself for 101 suggestions as to which brand and model to get...

Well, had a thought and at that price range I think I’ve narrowed it down to my top 2000 basses. 
As you might have guessed you’re spoilt for choice. Some things to consider… do you like a narrow ‘jazz’ style neck, or a fatter ‘precision’? Coming from an upright might have an influence on that. Going to a well stocked shop might help sort that out and you might find that some BGs just feel right. 
As for generalisations, you’ll not go far wrong with Yamaha and obviously Ibanez has a lot to offer. 

All suggestions we make become useless after you visit a shop. Try all which please your eye and compare. Brand is of no importance here, but the feel. Try also those out of your preset price range although the fretless Overwater may raise your standards and pricing substantially...

My ideal fretted bass would be a 5 string Overwater Jazz. I know that's ignoring your budget.

Overwaters are heavy, or I'd already own several, but if weight isn't a problem, IMO it would be a no-brainer.

Edited by chris_b