Why become a member? ×

Oasis to reform?

11 minutes ago, tauzero said:

It's not the music that I have an issue with, it's that horrible whining Mancunian voice.

And nobody's mentioned the David Bowie plagiarism - that little C F D G at the end of the chorus lines in "Stand by me", a straight lift from "All the young dudes".

Neil Innes did them for plagiarism of a Rutles Song. I rest my case.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

2 minutes ago, Daz39 said:

Oasis were ruined for me by being the band de jour of all the bullies and n@bheads in my year and the year above at school - I was  just starting Lower 6th when their debut released.

All day long at the House in School (Boarding School) on full whack it was dirge-ful.

Then I went to Uni and the least likeable of our room mates (there were 7 of us in our flat) played Wonderwall every night at 2 or 3am when he came in from being on the lash. Loud, repeatedly.

Worthy of brutal retribution IMHO

7 minutes ago, AndyTravis said:

I genuinely think they’ll box it clever and just go on stage and get the job done.

Noel’s divorce ain’t cheap.

The cynic in me thinks the acrimonious relationship has been a way to keep both brothers in the news.

i will say, I have enjoyed both brothers solo output.

Council Skies by NGHFB and c’Mon You Know by LG are in rotation.

I will say - Oasis probably did more for Epiphone in the 90’s than any ad campaign could ever hope to achieve.

They’ve given themselves the best part of a year to practice. 

2 minutes ago, Lozz196 said:

All You Need is Cash

Tour name right there :lol: 

I wouldn't have minded seeing them back in the day, on the Morning Glory Tour perhaps, but I have less than zero interest in seeing the Noel Needs Some Cash Because His Divorce Is Costing A Fcking Fortune Tour. I would be surprised if the performances are any better than going-through-the-motions.

A few friends of mine are going and I’ll go along as well. Be an expensive trip down memory lane but it’s all harmless, isn’t it?

I don’t understand the anger aimed at them to be honest. It’s all an act at the end of the day. Rock and roll, etc.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Burns-bass said:

A few friends of mine are going and I’ll go along as well. Be an expensive trip down memory lane but it’s all harmless, isn’t it?

I don’t understand the anger aimed at them to be honest. It’s all an act at the end of the day. Rock and roll, etc.

Was pretty much the same for me when The Sex Pistols reformed in ‘96. I wasn’t old enough to see them first time round so all I cared about was finally being able to see my fave band, selling out, not being able to play, foul mouthed, none of it concerned me.

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, Burns-bass said:

I don’t understand the anger aimed at them to be honest.

It's curious, isn't it? Clearly, they're not everyone's cup of tea (certainly not mine; a couple of decent sounds but mostly they left me indifferent) but they were huge in the 90s-00s and the soundtrack to many young people's lives. The opprobrium being thrown their way in this thread seems overly vitriolic. Yes, they were gobby, the songs were mostly dumb ol' rock 'n roll (no bad thing) and the inordinate media hype that surrounded them during their time would appear to have left some lasting damage among several on here, especially so for those who believe that no good music ever came from playing simplistic chord progressions. Musical snobbery? I'd say some of that is floating by. Actually, I'd say a lot of that is swilling around. I can't remember Genesis being harangued like this when they reformed to earn a few quid. Proper musicians, see? And, they're not working class scumbags like Oasis 😏 

I've looked around for the 'Girls Aloud Reform' thread where they got a good kicking but it doesn't seem to exist 😁

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Cliff Edge said:

Pub gigs in the 90’s and setting up was always accompanied by Oasis whining away on the jukebox. Some of their tunes are quite nice, performed by other people. 

Had to sit through a decade of that...the summer of 1995... I knew the 'Glory' album word for word and I didn't even like them. Some venues just put the CD on rotation...... did your head in after 3 months!

I'm not surprised they've reformed, what with £50million on offer!

My problem is that folks will pay whatever the ticket price is, plus whatever drink prices are hiked too, plus whatever hotels have bumped up their prices to (heard a hotel in Cardiff was charging £555 for a normally £127 room).

And the majority of those people will never go and see a grassroots band... Meanwhile, those little venues that made the likes of Oasis (and everybody else!) are slowly dying.

• Like 2

I wonder if the vitriol from here (and poss. other muso fora) is that they found the formula to appeal to the punter, fairly simple and noisy, and did not evolve or progress. It made them millions, but artistically it was shallow - is that the issue?

Possibly why they 'won' against Blur in the 90s - the latter moved on with their sounds, off the rails a bit, back again, etc. which did appeal to many, but not as many as those that want guitars at loud on the jukebox they can sing along to atonally. I

3 hours ago, RAY AGAINST THE MACHINE said:

Good luck to all getting tkts. 
The press will be saying how everyone was mad for it / tkts sold out in less than 20 mins/ internet crashes etc . Plus the cost .

Things were easier in 1994 ..

I would advised caution when buying tickets. You might find yourself going to an Oasis concert.

• Haha 3

1 hour ago, upside downer said:

It's curious, isn't it? Clearly, they're not everyone's cup of tea (certainly not mine; a couple of decent sounds but mostly they left me indifferent) but they were huge in the 90s-00s and the soundtrack to many young people's lives. The opprobrium being thrown their way in this thread seems overly vitriolic. Yes, they were gobby, the songs were mostly dumb ol' rock 'n roll (no bad thing) and the inordinate media hype that surrounded them during their time would appear to have left some lasting damage among several on here, especially so for those who believe that no good music ever came from playing simplistic chord progressions. Musical snobbery? I'd say some of that is floating by. Actually, I'd say a lot of that is swilling around. I can't remember Genesis being harangued like this when they reformed to earn a few quid. Proper musicians, see? And, they're not working class scumbags like Oasis 😏 

I've looked around for the 'Girls Aloud Reform' thread where they got a good kicking but it doesn't seem to exist 😁

If you’re playing in a covered band in a pub you should respect what Oasis did for live music.

They acted as a gateway for many people of my age (40s) to get into guitar based music. From there I’ve moved on to more esoteric stuff, but Oasis was the start…

• Like 4

21 minutes ago, Daz39 said:

I wonder if the vitriol from here (and poss. other muso fora) is that they found the formula to appeal to the punter, fairly simple and noisy, and did not evolve or progress. It made them millions, but artistically it was shallow - is that the issue?

Possibly why they 'won' against Blur in the 90s - the latter moved on with their sounds, off the rails a bit, back again, etc. which did appeal to many, but not as many as those that want guitars at loud on the jukebox they can sing along to atonally. I

The simplicity of the music is appealing. I was having coffee with a friend who started to play guitar to Oasis records. He still does and it brings him a lot of joy.  

Hate war, famine and violence, but be apathetic about Oasis.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, Burns-bass said:

If you’re playing in a covered band in a pub you should respect what Oasis did for live music.

They acted as a gateway for many people of my age (40s) to get into guitar based music. From there I’ve moved on to more esoteric stuff, but Oasis was the start…

That, exactly. Back in t'day they were great for the democratisation of music, just like punk in the late 70s which was my gateway. I remember having this argument/discussion with an Oasis-hating bandmate back in the 90s - basically anything that gets kids picking up guitars is good for music. The ones that get hooked will soon look past Noel's 4 chord dirges & sloppy pentatonics for more adventurous music & inspiration.

I never liked them, never hated them either. They were just dull - a derivative, unimaginative meat & potatoes pub rock band that somehow got very, very lucky. The big question with the reunion is whether they'll get through the first rehearsal without hospitalising each other. Maybe the alleged £40 million payday (each!) will be a sweetener.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Bassassin said:

a derivative, unimaginative meat & potatoes pub rock band that somehow got very, very lucky

This is precisely how I’d describe Stereophonics. How those lads made a career out of what they do I’ll never know (although the lead singer is a a handsome chap so I’m sure that’s part of it!)

• Haha 1