Why become a member? ×

Oasis to reform?

23 minutes ago, Cato said:

From what I've read about it the band and their management get most of it, and Ticketmaster get the rest.

What would be hilarious is if the venues hosting the shows who presumably agreed a price with the band before hand now demanded double the agreed fee due to 'market forces' and 'unprecedented demand'

I’d be delighted to hear of this happening.

• Like 2

Is it really Ticketmaster OR Oasis though? Ticketmaster say it's the 'event organiser' and not them and I wouldn't classify Oasis as that either. I'm sure they have someone else arranging it all.

I just tried to source two tickets for The Corrs at The o2 for Mrs.H. Same story there. The cheapest I could find came in just under £500 for the pair with the disclaimer that the 'event organiser blah blah blah....'

I love her dearly, but they can jog on at that price.

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, Cato said:

What would be hilarious is if the venues hosting the shows who presumably agreed a price with the band before hand now demanded double the agreed fee due to 'market forces' and 'unprecedented demand'

Or tell Oasis they made a mistake and the venue is double booked. 

Then relist the venue the next day at qadruple the price. 

• Haha 4

4 hours ago, TimR said:

The scarcity of a product determines the price. Buying a bass there will be competition from other retail outlets. 

I suppose you could refer the whole thing to monopolies commission (or whatever the regulating body is).

Essentially if you can only buy something from one place that's anti competition (although I'm not sure what the UK equivalent is).

The algorithm obviously needs tuning. 

This assumes the logic of supply and demand is fixed, when of course it isn't. 

The Oasis ticket thing is being manipulated by the band and with the willing complicity of the media to create a situation where people are obviously not acting logically. There was genuine hysteria on Saturday morning and in the cold light of day (or when the credit card bill drops through mailbox) there will be a lot of angry people. People were acting on imperfect information and forced to make a decision in seconds. Lots of people made bad decisions.

I still wholeheartedly believe that anyone who wants a ticket and can afford it will probably get one before next July.

What I'm interested in is whether those who paid surge pricing for a standing ticket can ask for the same price on official resale sites? If so, there's a fair argument that anyone who bought a £150 ticket could charge up to £500.

As for me, I was half interested in seeing them (I was at V Festival when the didn't show up, having broken up the night before), but there's no way on earth I'm paying £500.

1 hour ago, ezbass said:

It’s computer driven scalping, plain and simple. When people have been hanging online, only to be kicked out due to supposed IT issues, to get back online and find the price massively escalated, is profiteering, plain and simple. Just because it’s legal doesn’t make it immoral. 

? ? ? o.O

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, Dad3353 said:

... and ... breath... Slowly, let the oxygen fill your lungs... then... out, slowly. There, that's better already, isn't it..? :friends:

Can’t breathe too deeply if you’re outside here today, as drowning would be a definite possibility xD.

There are enough people for whom £500 is pocket money that they'll sell at that price. They'll sell at £5K too if I'm honest, because there is a stupendous amount of money out there and the people that have it don't worry about small change like that. It'll get bought by some corporate group who want to give their high-fliers a Christmas bonus and then write it off against expenses. The corporate suites will be going for decent five figures a night I imagine.

Edited by borntohang
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, TimR said:

People who bought into Oasis in th 90s will be in their 50s now. 

The working class kids who are now middle to high income people with houses and savings.

We get multiple enquiries a year about buying a Noel-associated custom amp that runs for somewhere between £4-6k depending on what options you want. I think we've sold three or four in the five years I've been here. Oasis is big money territory in the same way the Grateful Dead fanbase moved on to be silicon valley whizzes.

2 hours ago, Leonard Smalls said:

price-fixing cartel.

Surely in the case of Ticketmaster it's a monopoly, so there's no competition. Maybe it should be referred to the Monopolies and Mergers Commission.

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, borntohang said:

There are enough people for whom £500 is pocket money that they'll sell at that price. They'll sell at £5K too if I'm honest, because there is a stupendous amount of money out there and the people that have it don't worry about small change like that. It'll get bought by some corporate group who want to give their high-fliers a Christmas bonus and then write it off against expenses. The corporate suites will be going for decent five figures a night I imagine.

I’m sure that’s true of a vanishingly small number of people but they’re shifted over 1 million tickets…

For a lot of people they’ve bought into the hype and it’ll be a long way down.

2 hours ago, Doctor J said:

Besides, since almost everyone here says they can't stand Oasis, why the kerfuffle?

Because even people who are totally devoid of taste don't always deserve to be ripped off.

1 minute ago, tauzero said:

Surely in the case of Ticketmaster it's a monopoly, so there's no competition. Maybe it should be referred to the Monopolies and Mergers Commission.

Im guessing that Ticketmaster would have bid for the contract to sell tickets.

They’ll be taking a fee from punters and probably one from the band also. The lowest fee paid by the band wins. 

It’s a big undertaking to process all the cash, manage data, originate tickets etc. 

49 minutes ago, TimR said:

People who bought into Oasis in th 90s will be in their 50s now. 

The working class kids who are now middle to high income people with houses and savings.

You are an alien and I claim my £5. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Burns-bass said:

They’ll be taking a fee from punters and probably one from the band also. The lowest fee paid by the band wins. 

It’s a big undertaking to process all the cash, manage data, originate tickets etc. 

I'm not saying that they shouldn't charge for their services. What I'm saying is that they are in a monopoly position and ratcheting up ticket prices to vast multiples of face value is an abuse of that position.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Burns-bass said:

The obvious thing to point out that Ticketmaster have sewn up the market to the extent where there is no viable alternative to using them, allowing them to dictate terms, prices, etc. Pearl Jam tried to challenge this while at the height of their popularity / powers and lost pretty badly.