Why become a member? ×

Oasis to reform?

36 minutes ago, meterman said:

Absolute mystery to me how their songwriting still gets praised over the likes of Teenage Fanclub, or Supergrass, etc.

That's because Supergrass never wrote Live Forever, Don't Look Back In Anger or Half The World Away! 

38 minutes ago, meterman said:

Don't forget the massive industry PR machine behind them, ensuring that they wouldn't / couldn't fail. (Arctic Monkeys had a similar push)

I remember seeing Oasis at the 100 Club about a month before their debut single was released and the audience (not packed to capacity by any means) was largely made up of label folks and industry figures. Also, there was a 'street team' walking up and down Oxford Street giving out free tickets to the gig.

But that's the way that it used to work back then. A band would slog around unnoticed for ages and then the industry would suddenly decide they were the next big thing and there would be a feeding frenzy as none of the industry players / labels would want to miss out. Many bands would then disappear just as quickly as they suddenly appeared. Oasis were packing out gigs like the Duchess in Leeds, as well as many other northern venues before the industry hype started. 

5 hours ago, tegs07 said:

I think it’s the way that it’s done that is the issue rather than the price.

An analogy would be queuing up to buy a coffee. The board shows the price so you stand in line. Occasionally the coffee machine breaks down or some official takes you to the back of the line without an explanation. Eventually after much patience you reach the front expecting to pay £3 only to be told that it’s now £10 because of the ‘demand’

This is not a reasonable business model. If the coffee chain has a monopoly and they are using this model then questions should be raised.

Yes, I appreciate that. However, you always have the option not to participate. If Ticketmaster wants to play at silly buggers that's up to them. It can't affect you if you reject the transaction. 

1 minute ago, Misdee said:

Yes, I appreciate that. However, you always have the option not to participate. If Ticketmaster wants to play at silly buggers that's up to them. It can't affect you if you reject the transaction. 

i did reject it after 6 hours waiting to get a ticket for my son. if the price was shown increasing throughout the day i would not have waited (creating artificial demand) after his £135 limit was reached.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Burns-bass said:

In some ways it’s quite positive that people are willing to pay such a large amount for tickets. Given streaming pays nearly nothing (unless you’re a superstar) I guess live dates are where they make 90% of their cash.

In this instance, nobody is upset that they’re charging a fortune (as I said, my friend group checked out when it became clear the event would cost the same as a cheap foreign holiday). Instead, it’s the way that surge pricing was introduced. This wasn’t part of the deal and it seems really cruel.

If you want to see what happens when bands get it wrong take a look at the Black Keys US arena tour…

I completely agree that the remuneration for artists from streaming is ridiculously unfair. However, I am confident that even if royalties were  still paid at pre-streaming rates that concert tickets would still be just as expensive. 

The reason for the rise in prices to see live music is primarily because the industry has "re-evaluated" the value of its product and decided people can and should pay more to see a band. Put simply, they are charging more because they can get away with it. 

Everything changed after Live Aid. Pop music entered the mainstream, and with that the whole culture changed. Sooner rather than later the profit motive overtook  more antiquated ideals of fairness and accessibility for a typical audience. 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, tegs07 said:

i did reject it after 6 hours waiting to get a ticket for my son. if the price was shown increasing throughout the day i would not have waited (creating artificial demand) after his £135 limit was reached.

Fair enough, you are absolutely right. They should be open and transparent about what you will pay. It's totally unfair not to. 

To me though, the face value of the ticket is ridiculous to begin with.

33 minutes ago, Misdee said:

Everything changed after Live Aid. Pop music entered the mainstream, and with that the whole culture changed. Sooner rather than later the profit motive overtook  more antiquated ideals of fairness and accessibility for a typical audience. 

I think that you are right there. After Live Aid, the industry started to see everything in terms of major events, where the event was more important than the music.

As streaming started to destroy income streams from releasing albums, there was a move to make more money from huge concerts with high ticket prices, rather than long tours of smaller gigs to promote the new album. As albums were not making much money, why invest in developing a band? You can always find a stream of unremarkable, low maintenance, marionette type singers, put them with a tame producer and get a greater part of the publishing revenues and so on. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, peteb said:

That's because Supergrass never wrote Live Forever, Don't Look Back In Anger or Half The World Away! 

Neither did Oasis, really. 😂 'Don't Look Back In Anger' is just a load of Beatle bits with some Lennonisms chucked in for good measure, and Noel Gallagher has said in interviews that he nicked half of 'Half The World Away' from Burt Bacharach's 'This Guy's In Love With You'.  Can't comment on 'Live Forever' though, as I've never knowingly heard it.

If I'm gonna get involved with nostalgia then let's go the full Lieutenant Pigeon, not arf!

1 minute ago, meterman said:

Neither did Oasis, really. 😂 'Don't Look Back In Anger' is just a load of Beatle bits with some Lennonisms chucked in for good measure, and Noel Gallagher has said in interviews that he nicked half of 'Half The World Away' from Burt Bacharach's 'This Guy's In Love With You'.  Can't comment on 'Live Forever' though, as I've never knowingly heard it.

Doesn't matter - we all know that Oasis are derivative. However, to millions of people they were the songs of their youth / a better time. Hence the reaction from an audience that you see whenever some pub band plays one of those songs. 

Here's Live Forever - knock yourself out... 

30 minutes ago, meterman said:

It's the one that nicks the chord sequence from the end of the chorus lines in "All the young dudes".

• Haha 1

11 minutes ago, Dad3353 said:

Distinctly under-whelmed is about the kindest I can be to that ... 'song'. ¬¬

Now that's a surprise! However, the masses have spoken and you appear to be in a minority (albeit a very vocal one). 

Edited by peteb

12 minutes ago, peteb said:

Now that's a surprise! However, the masses have spoken and you appear to be in a minority (albeit a very vocal one). 

Ok, I'll shut up, then, if that's OK with you. Offending post edited; you win. :|

3 hours ago, Misdee said:

Everything changed after Live Aid.

It was already changing. The rapid switching MOSFET developed in the early to mid 80s was allowing bigger and bigger class D amplification systems. 

• Confused 1

17 minutes ago, Dad3353 said:

Ok, I'll shut up, then, if that's OK with you. Offending post edited; you win. :|

"Live forever" was suggested as a second Oasis song for us to do (we've got "Don't look back in Ongar" already). Fortunately the suggestion appears to have gone away, as I really didn't want to listen to that awful whiny Mancunian voice in order to learn the song.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, peteb said:

Doesn't matter - we all know that Oasis are derivative. However, to millions of people they were the songs of their youth / a better time. Hence the reaction from an audience that you see whenever some pub band plays one of those songs. 

Here's Live Forever - knock yourself out... 

I lasted about 30 seconds listening to that, his voice did / still does me head in. But if gazillions of folks are into it then fair on 'em.

Lieutenant Pigeon though. Proper band, that 👍

43 minutes ago, la bam said:

Mind you ive just been looking at some old tickets.... 

Police circa 2005 - £65.

Rolling Stones circa 2008 - £90.

Bank of England inflation calculator says that's £110 and £145 equivalent today. 

£450 tickets would have been £284 in 2008, just for comparison. I'd advice nobody goes any deeper down this rabbithole as you'll just depress yourself. 

15 minutes ago, borntohang said:

Bank of England inflation calculator says that's £110 and £145 equivalent today. 

£450 tickets would have been £284 in 2008, just for comparison. I'd advice nobody goes any deeper down this rabbithole as you'll just depress yourself. 

Just remembered too - for balance actual oasis where £30 a ticket around 2001 when I watched them. 

12 hours ago, TimR said:

Knebworth '94 with some other really good bands! £22. 

Led Zeppelin, Knebworth 1979, £7.50. That's the equivalent of £35 today.

20 Embassy Regal, a bottle of cider and a Mars Bar would leave you change out of a tenner (including the price of the ticket) and  you had everything you needed for a festival. 

Edited by Misdee
  • Haha 1

11 hours ago, Misdee said:

Led Zeppelin, Knebworth 1979, £7.50. That's the equivalent of £35 today.

I went to that - still got the T-shirt.

Never been to another festival gig since.

t-shirt - Led Zeppelin Knebworth 79.jpg

Edited by prowla
  • Like 1