Why become a member? ×

Oasis to reform?

58 minutes ago, Alfie said:

I agree with this but don't understand the Beatles rip off bit. 

I love a bit of Oasis, I could happily have the first two albums on repeat, but have never enjoyed listening to the Beatles (I know 🙄), so what Beatles songs have been most plagiarised? Maybe I can become a Beatles listener finally.

I get the basic influences and that Noel was big fan, but that's just how music works.

Yeah, I suppose it is they were so blatant about the heavy influence for a while - with look and sound (even through to Liam naming one of his kids Lennon). They also covered a few Beatles songs . But I agree, that is how music works and I wouldn't say they are really any more 'influenced' than a lot of say, metal bands are influenced by Black Sabbath etc. 

I'd say, if you like Oasis, then you'd like a lot of Beatles stuff. They certainly do anyway.

Supersonic’ – “Sail with me in my Yellow Submarine”

‘Morning Glory’ – “Tomorrow Never Knows what it doesn’t know too soon”

‘Fade In-Out’ – “Get on the Helter Skelter”

‘Be Here Now’ – “Sing a song for me, one from Let It Be“

‘She’s Electric’ – ‘With a Little Help From My Friends’ outro

‘D’You Know What I Mean?’ – lyrical references ‘The Fool on the Hill’ and ‘I Feel Fine’

https://faroutmagazine.co.uk/the-beatles-references-in-oasis-songs/ 

And copied from Reddit:

image.png.412a1ab09469ccc1113ad28fdc517eb1.png

1 minute ago, Munurmunuh said:

Evidence that most people who accuse Oasis of plagiarism are just repeating what they've heard 😬

standing on the shoulder of giants

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

If it were the classic line up of the Whats The Story Morning Glory era I`d probably go, but as from what I understand that`s not to be the case I`ll give it a miss. Although musically the later Gem Archer/Andy Bell line-up were good (from what I`ve seen on live clips) to me the classic line up was the best. 

Although not a huge fan, I understand the media interest of a reunion. Probably THE

defining band of the 90’s for so many people, some good tunes and also notorious

squabbles that kept them a fascination for fans and press alike.

Despite Noel’s expensive divorce, I still wouldn’t have thought either of the brothers

were exactly ‘needing’ the dosh from a tour, but have no doubt been swayed by the

numbers involved to decide to give it a go. Interesting that they’ve said there won’t

be any TV / film coverage to make attending even more essential for the fans.

Heaven knows what the ticket prices will be like, but whatever they are I’m sure they’ll

sell out immediately and become the ‘must have’ items of 2025. 

• Like 2

47 minutes ago, Munurmunuh said:

I'm very surprised at the lack of Bonehead — unless he cba, of course — Liam's recently been quite vocal about his contribution

You can hear the difference he made to Liam's band, they weren't getting the Oasis sound at all right until he played with them a bit.

I hope Bonehead is involved, he’s a mate of a mate - by all accounts a bloody lovely bloke.

• Like 1

Although you can hear a lot of Beatles “inspiration” in a few of their songs, I always thought they sounded more like a Slade tribute band. 

I don’t mind some of their stuff from the first 2 albums, but the rest is very meh & the brothers are just tw@ts. 

Most of these comments seem to be stuck in the 90s.

I've got a lot of time for present day Liam. He's matured well, grown up even, is funny as hell and for a good few years now has been one of the hardest working men in show business. He's consistently put out good solo albums and is always either on the road or in the studio.

He takes care of both himself and his voice these days.

I'm a bit disappointed that the reunion is happening now as I was hoping that, after his current Definitely Maybe anniversary tour, he'd get to work on a second album with John Squire and keep moving forwards. 

Noel's solo output has never grabbed me in comparison. 

To me, an Oasis reunion seems like a step backwards for Liam. 

Edited by miles'tone

I'm thinking of starting a sweepstake on how long they get into the "tour" before splitting up again in a blaze of sibling acrimony.

First prize is a copy of Beady Eye's first album.

Second prize is two copies of Beady Eye's first album. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

Can't stand them. Vanilla music for people who don't really 'love' music imho....

I hope those that do like them enjoy the reunion, just don't expect a decent singer or any energy on stage.... ;)

• Like 1

9 hours ago, JottoSW1 said:

Nice people. I wonder who the lucky souls / sidementhat are in line for a 'new' Oasis gig.

Hope Andy Bell's involved.

Totally ambivalent to Oasis tbh, but it'd be nice to see Mr. Bell getting some dosh to carry on his solo stuff, which I'm quite partial to.

Silver linings and all that ;)

Edited by ahpook

There's a lot of hate from people who play in guitar bands towards the likes of Oasis, Foo Fighters, Coldplay, Nickleback etc.  I'm not a big fan of any of them, but surely the fact that they have actual Bass players on stage is a good thing? I mean, have a look at the top 40 and I'm pretty sure there isn't hardly a single 'band' in it. If Oasis play to 100's of thousands of people then hopefully a few of them will pick up instruments and there will be some type of revival for bands and live music in pop charts.

• Like 4

6 minutes ago, SumOne said:

There's a lot of hate from people who play in guitar bands towards the likes of Oasis, Foo Fighters, Coldplay, Nickleback etc.  I'm not a big fan of any of them, but surely the fact that they have actual Bass players on stage is a good thing? I mean, have a look at the top 40 and I'm pretty sure there isn't hardly a single 'band' in it. If Oasis play to 100's of thousands of people then hopefully a few of them will pick up instruments and there will be some type of revival for bands and live music in pop charts.

Is there a lot of hate or is there just a lot of apathy and indifference? People on BC genuinely seem to hate rap but for me NWA, Public enemy, Snoop, Tupac etc did something new and exciting. All the bands you mention are inoffensive and pretty decent at what they do but are just a bit vanilla and insipid. I’m not surprised guitar based music is in decline. It needs something radical and different to give it a boost.

• Like 3

A mate of mine has just given his opinion on when the re-split will happen:

It'll be during the first sound check.

Noel: Can you check our kid's microphone, his singing sounds shite.

Liam: 💥

Edited by Rich
  • Haha 5

It's not the music that I have an issue with, it's that horrible whining Mancunian voice.

And nobody's mentioned the David Bowie plagiarism - that little C F D G at the end of the chorus lines in "Stand by me", a straight lift from "All the young dudes".

• Thanks 1

18 minutes ago, SumOne said:

I mean, have a look at the top 40 and I'm pretty sure there isn't hardly a single 'band' in it.

Well, I just looked. I 'think' bruce springsteen, coldplay and Hozier count as bands? Of the others I am sure there are actually quite a few with actual bass guitarists on the stage.

3 minutes ago, Rich said:

A mate of mine has just given his opinion on when the re-split will happen

Friend of mine said they were looking to get tickets. I recommended the 4th at cardiff, the first one. At least you stand a chance that they will actually start that one!

• Like 1

I genuinely think they’ll box it clever and just go on stage and get the job done.

Noel’s divorce ain’t cheap.

The cynic in me thinks the acrimonious relationship has been a way to keep both brothers in the news.

i will say, I have enjoyed both brothers solo output.

Council Skies by NGHFB and c’Mon You Know by LG are in rotation.

I will say - Oasis probably did more for Epiphone in the 90’s than any ad campaign could ever hope to achieve.

• Like 3

Oasis were ruined for me by being the band de jour of all the bullies and n@bheads in my year and the year above at school - I was  just starting Lower 6th when their debut released.

All day long at the House in School (Boarding School) on full whack it was dirge-ful.

Then I went to Uni and the least likeable of our room mates (there were 7 of us in our flat) played Wonderwall every night at 2 or 3am when he came in from being on the lash. Loud, repeatedly.

• Like 1