Why become a member? ×

Oasis to reform?

57 minutes ago, Leonard Smalls said:

And the majority of those people will never go and see a grassroots band... Meanwhile, those little venues that made the likes of Oasis (and everybody else!) are slowly dying.

My brother is a bit like that. He'll only go to see expensive bands, Stones, Springsteen, Neil Young, etc., but you wouldn't catch him watching a pub band.

35 minutes ago, Burns-bass said:

If you’re playing in a covered band in a pub you should respect what Oasis did for live music.

They acted as a gateway for many people of my age (40s) to get into guitar based music. From there I’ve moved on to more esoteric stuff, but Oasis was the start…

Absolutely. You can feel the whole room lift when a covers band start an Oasis song in a pub - it's great to see and even better to be part of if you're in the band. 

I have friends who used to work in music shops. They reckon that Oasis sold more guitars and got more kids playing than any other band of the time or since. 

• Like 2

I've just seen a post from the Music Venue Trust that say less than half of the 34 venues Oasis played in on their first tour still exist.

It's a proper shame that folks will throw their money at multi-millionaires playing venues that are so huge they have to wear their coats, instead of supporting the hopefully up and coming ones before all the venues disappear!

• Like 5

37 minutes ago, Count Bassy said:

My brother is a bit like that. He'll only go to see expensive bands, Stones, Springsteen, Neil Young, etc., but you wouldn't catch him watching a pub band.

I'm the opposite now, wouldn't cross the road to see big bands in massive stadiums, I'd rather go and watch a good tribute in a small venue.

Back to Oasis, wonder how many who slag off their songs as simplistic have written a million selling song of their own, if it's that easy why not? not many know the secret of writing a hit song, Noel Gallagher is, or was, one of them, it is something that is indefinable.

• Like 3

22 minutes ago, Leonard Smalls said:

I've just seen a post from the Music Venue Trust that say less than half of the 34 venues Oasis played in on their first tour still exist.

It's a proper shame that folks will throw their money at multi-millionaires playing venues that are so huge they have to wear their coats, instead of supporting the hopefully up and coming ones before all the venues disappear!

What these venues really need is for some guitar based band to break into the mainstream and create the buzz that Oasis did back in the 90s. Preferably with imitator bands following in their wake, also capturing the public's imagination. 

Then people might start getting back in the habit of going out to watch smaller bands live, like they did in the 90s / 00s 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, PaulWarning said:

I'm the opposite now, wouldn't cross the road to see big bands in massive stadiums, I'd rather go and watch a good tribute in a small venue.

Back to Oasis, wonder how many who slag off their songs as simplistic have written a million selling song of their own, if it's that easy why not? not many know the secret of writing a hit song, Noel Gallagher is, or was, one of them, it is something that is indefinable.

Back 'then', I played with several bands of buddies, almost all of whom wrote their own material; most of what they wrote and played would have deserved just as much exposure as many 'name' bands (many of which had very good songs, too...). No, for a heck of a lot of musicians, it comes very easily to 'em to turn out a 'hit' song, or even an album, but just didn't get the breaks that others did. The Thomson Twins (Graeme and Chris...), Porpoise, Ford (a giant of a bloke with afro hair, drove a Heinkel bubble car with his head out of the sunroof, so tall was he...), The Alligators (not the current band; another earlier one in the Ashford, Middlx area...), Alan Stirling, based at Crystal Palace for a while (I'd really like to know what happened to him and his cohort...)... There were others, and I still have tapes from many of our rehearsals, and a few concerts, plus fond, happy memories of those Good Times. Oasis..? Good luck to 'em; I don't know them, nor their whole repertoire, but I do know that they are no more (nor, maybe, less...) worthy than so many other formations, past, present and, probably, future. I'd pay Good Money to see a reformed Thomson Twins gig, with one of my younger brothers on guitar. It's doubtful it'll ever happen, though. :friends:

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, PaulWarning said:

I would argue timing and good fortune are part of the recipe for success. Noel has penned some reasonably catchy tunes (first 2 records). Oasis were the right band in the right time in a similar vein to the Arctic Monkeys or Nirvana.

Edited by tegs07
  • Like 4

12 minutes ago, tegs07 said:

I would argue timing and good fortune are part of the recipe for success. Noel has penned some reasonably catchy tunes (first 2 records). Oasis were the right band in the right time in a similar vein to the Arctic Monkeys or Nirvana.

...or the Beatles... 

• Like 6

A chap came round to survey our loft for boarding out earlier on. His dad had bought Definitely Maybe when it came out and that had been the defining music of his youth. He was going to buy tickets (he also said he wanted to get them for the first show as who knows what would happen then), but he wanted to go with his mates (one set), with his wife (second set) and with his kids (third set).

40 minutes ago, tegs07 said:

Exactly - writing some half decent songs (there are loads of small bands that have written great songs that get nowhere), and being promoted in the right places at the right time. The rest is hype. Oasis became more popular because they were popular and it was cool to like them to fit in - same as every other emerging big band.

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, PaulWarning said:

Quite a lot bands are in the right place at the right time and many have a hit or two, but it does take a special talent to stay at the top for years and produce a string of top selling songs

I wasn’t putting them down but kind of hinting timing is important. The UK economy was on the rise, lad mags were everywhere, it was fairly hedonistic, there was a fair amount of swaggering machismo. If Oasis launched in 2023 I doubt if they would have gone stratospheric.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Burns-bass said:

This is precisely how I’d describe Stereophonics. How those lads made a career out of what they do I’ll never know (although the lead singer is a a handsome chap so I’m sure that’s part of it!)

I saw Stereophonics as opening act at the Edinburgh Princes Street Hogmanay bash in 1996. Presumably their management blagged the gig as that was best part of a year before they released their first album. I'd never heard of them & what I remember was a loud, high-energy hard rock band reminiscent of early Manic Street Preachers - to the extent they got referred to as the StereoManics for a while!

They were quite good fun if a bit unremarkable, but certainly a lot more appealing (to me at least) than what the industry clearly decided would shift more units. Although in fairness they've probably had a longer career as a result.

6 hours ago, Burns-bass said:

I don’t understand the anger aimed at them to be honest.

What anger? Most of the people on this thread are expressing indifference.

Probably right for a bass forum, I've tried learning bass lines to some of their tunes and given up. They're mostly an inaudible mush of non-inspiration. 

They came out of the 90s indie/festival scene, they play anthems for drunk people. 

• Like 1

I remember reading a few years ago that Liam Gallagher "Resented being called a professional musician.I take that as a f*****g insult" he said.Dont worry mate,I doubt very much if anybody EVER considered you a musician even,unless of course you include banging a tambourine as being a musician.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

A decent summary from Andy Edwards, the West Midlands' answer to Rick Beato and Robert Plant's former drummer. He describes them as a 90s version of Slade and how they represented a big part the lives of people who grew up in the 90s, not to mention that Wonderwall is apparently the biggest song on Spotify! 

Edited by peteb

They're certainly going to town... apparently there's a lot of new merch being launched. Including food.

The first item to be released will be a soup. It's just soup, but you get a roll with it.

• Haha 3

12 hours ago, tegs07 said:

Is there a lot of hate or is there just a lot of apathy and indifference? People on BC genuinely seem to hate rap but for me NWA, Public enemy, Snoop, Tupac etc did something new and exciting. All the bands you mention are inoffensive and pretty decent at what they do but are just a bit vanilla and insipid. I’m not surprised guitar based music is in decline. It needs something radical and different to give it a boost

Agreed. Public Enemy and NWA rocked harder than any guitar band in the 90s. As for Noel and Liam they've always been good value as rent-a-gobs and Noel hates System of a Down so he's not all bad.  

9 hours ago, jezzaboy said:

Stop press!!!

Oasis have just announced that Adam Clayton will be playing bass on the concerts so all the haters on Basschat can get their fix all at once! :D

Damn! Looks like I ordered the Guigsy signature P bass a bit too soon.

• Haha 2