Why become a member? ×

Oasis to reform?

13 hours ago, jezzaboy said:

Stop press!!!

Oasis have just announced that Adam Clayton will be playing bass on the concerts so all the haters on Basschat can get their fix all at once! :D

To paraphrase @TimR, what hate? Most of the people on this thread are expressing indifference.

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, Rich said:

To paraphrase @TimR, what hate? Most of the people on this thread are expressing indifference.

Yep. Oasis like Nirvana are one of those bands I just don’t get. They were a reasonable indie band. The kind that I would have expected to enjoy a few years headlining at the Brixton Academy and getting towards headlining Reading. Global megastardom I just don’t get it. I don’t hate either Nirvana nor Oasis but just think they were not as good as a lot of their contemporaries and for whatever reasons the stars aligned and they went stratospheric.

Edited by tegs07

4 minutes ago, tegs07 said:

I don’t hate either Nirvana nor Oasis but just think they were not as good as a lot of their contemporaries and for whatever reasons the stars aligned and they went stratospheric.

Yup. For me you can add the Stones to that list of two. The Greatest Rock'n'Roll Luckiest Pub Band In The World.

• Like 2

16 hours ago, peteb said:

Then people might start getting back in the habit of going out to watch smaller bands live, like they did in the 90s / 00s 

To be fair, people do still go to small venues and watch small bands.... However, many venues still have huge debts after covid - this has caused some to shut. Then there was the recent CossyLivsCrisis - venues couldn't charge much (or anything!) as folks couldn't afford to pay, meaning more venues fell by the wayside. We played a venue in Birmingham last year which had a mini festival with 10 bands playing an all-dayer. It was rammed. At the end of the night the promoter shared the money out (it was "donations on the door") - each band and the promoter got £19... Then there's the ridiculous nonsense of developers building next door to long-established venues, new neighbours complain to the council who revoke the venue's licence.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Leonard Smalls said:

To be fair, people do still go to small venues and watch small bands....

Not to anywhere near the same extent that they used to, although I do take your points about venues not having recovered from the pandemic and the problem of developers building residential stock next to established venues. 

In the mid to late 80s, I played in an originals hard rock band that picked up a bit of a following but no more than that. Wherever we played in rock clubs, the place would be near enough full (even mid-week). We played at a club in Birmingham on a Friday night once with a not particularly big band from the NWOBHM era. There were 900 people crammed in, all paying to be there. A similar event these days would be very lucky to get anywhere near 100 punters. 

Just before Covid, I did an album with a band that had previously sold a respectable amount of CDs a few years before, mainly in Europe. There was no serious talk of going out to play live in this country - it just would not have been worthwhile. 

Edited by peteb
  • Like 4

The punk/Oi scene still gets well attended gigs but both the bands and the audience tend to be mainly the over 50s. Probably due to that being the music of their youth I suppose.

• Like 1

I missed out on Oasis in their heyday (I was around, just not listening to them) so unfortunately my connection with Oasis songs is second-rate pub bands in any town centre on a weekend evening mashing out Wonderwall and Don’t Look Back in Anger for drunk punters to sway along to. 

It’s a “no thanks” from me.

Though I appreciate if they meant something to you back in the day then this reunion is exciting news. 

I would say there's a strong possibility of them doing  a secret / low key warm up gig or 2 . That would be good to see . 

I've been to a couple of those . Pre Donington warm up gigs by Metallica astoria2 ( a place that sold jumpers during the day ) ,and Charlotte and the Harlots queeh Mary college ( iron maiden ) 

A few I've missed obviously: Mr and a few mates used  to go to the Hippodrome in Leics sq on weds nights in the '80s.

It was a metal club . The night we never went, the stones played a secret gig . It was all over the papers next day .

Keep 'em peeled 🙂...

2 hours ago, tegs07 said:

Yep. Oasis like Nirvana are one of those bands I just don’t get. They were a reasonable indie band. The kind that I would have expected to enjoy a few years headlining at the Brixton Academy and getting towards headlining Reading. Global megastardom I just don’t get it. I don’t hate either Nirvana nor Oasis but just think they were not as good as a lot of their contemporaries and for whatever reasons the stars aligned and they went stratospheric.

Regarding Nirvana , I was indifferent when they cane out . A couple of pals were real fanboys. They played  the London Astoria a few times . Me and a couple of other pals got tkts on the door in the Astoria l we ended up upstairs( bleach tour ) 2 guitarists  . One of my mates said they were shite.

I was indifferent . When never mind came out, I purchased it eventually , but I couldn't get the hype either . Anyway, they added a gig to their British tour at Kilburn empire . They were great ! Apparently Seattle bands had a history of really good gigs and off nights .

i don't play them , but may get the urge after reading this ..

When it comes down to it, Oasis (and the bands that they influenced coming just after) were the last to come through and get record deals on the back of playing live, selling out clubs and building a big following. 

If nothing else, I think that it is great that the whole country is talking about a band from a working class background who play guitars and wrote songs that mean a lot to people of a certain age. Also, those songs were massive hits but didn't have autotune, five producers and seven people getting songwriting credits. It's a lot different to most of the stuff dominating the charts today and that's all good in my opinion. 

• Like 4

20 minutes ago, RAY AGAINST THE MACHINE said:

Regarding Nirvana , I was indifferent when they cane out . A couple of pals were real fanboys. They played  the London Astoria a few times . Me and a couple of other pals got tkts on the door in the Astoria l we ended up upstairs( bleach tour ) 2 guitarists  . One of my mates said they were shite.

I was indifferent . When never mind came out, I purchased it eventually , but I couldn't get the hype either . Anyway, they added a gig to their British tour at Kilburn empire . They were great ! Apparently Seattle bands had a history of really good gigs and off nights .

i don't play them , but may get the urge after reading this ..

i like them, but i like alice in chains, the pixies, sonic youth and mudhoney

contemporaries and predecessors, none of whom became household names (as in your average bloke on the street could hum their tunes and know the latest gossip about the lead singer etc).

the route to becoming incredibly popular in music is a mystery to me. 

Edited by tegs07
  • Like 1

42 minutes ago, RAY AGAINST THE MACHINE said:

The night we never went, the stones played a secret gig . It was all over the papers next day .

Sounds like you had a lucky escape. Some might say.

Edited by mowf
  • Haha 1

29 minutes ago, tegs07 said:

i like them, but i like alice in chains, the pixies, sonic youth and mudhoney

contemporaries and predecessors, none of whom became household names (as in your average bloke on the street could hum their tunes and know the latest gossip about the lead singer etc).

the route to becoming incredibly popular in music is a mystery to me. 

Yeah, love Alice in chains . Unfortunately never got round to seeing them . Mudhoney - touch me I'm sick 🤮great! The rest I trued but couldn't get on with them. True what you say though 🙂

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, peteb said:

If nothing else, I think that it is great that the whole country is talking about a band... 

It's only the brothers who are being talked about. No-one seems to care about the rest of the band.

• Like 3

41 minutes ago, MacDaddy said:

It's only the brothers who are being talked about. No-one seems to care about the rest of the band.

does anyone even know anything about the other three other than one's called Bone'ead? As much as they might be a pair of arrogant gobsh1t3$ at least nobody could ever accuse N & L of being dull and bland interviewees. Both have a knack for a pithy amusing insult especially for eachother. With trad guitar based rock being in such a moribund state maybe it could do with a reformed Oasis to kick some life back into it

Edited by Barking Spiders
  • Like 1

On 26/08/2024 at 23:21, MacDaddy said:

Screenshot_2024-08-26-23-17-17-666_com.android.chrome-edit.thumb.jpg.c891836d93beb33a56cf89a246db2ebf.jpg

Noel has a £20million divorce so Oasis may be reforming?

Does anyone care who the rest of the band will be?

Will Liam claim to have a sore throat and bunk off a few gigs, or will there be a fight a few songs in which will mean the rest of the reunion gigs are cancelled?

More news tomorrow...

If there ever was an overrated band...

2 hours ago, MacDaddy said:

Yeah, and for me I`d only consider going if it were Oasis reforming, this is just the two brothers agreeing to work together again (although from what I`ve read it seems that Bonehead, who is still friends with them both maybe involved).

My biggest laugh of the day came from Mrs Knob when discussing the reunion

her: any interest in all this Oasis business?

me: nah, never liked them. no word yet on who's going to be in the band apart from Liam and Noel either. I bet it'll be Noel's current band with Liam singing

her: what, Noel and his Low Hanging Fruit?

• Haha 8

Let's be realistic, Oasis was always first and foremost about the Gallagher brothers. Sure, it would be great to see Bonehead get a payday out of it and it's always good to see people looking after their mates. But, it is about the brothers and always has been. 

11 hours ago, tegs07 said:

I don’t hate either Nirvana nor Oasis but just think they were not as good as a lot of their contemporaries and for whatever reasons the stars aligned and they went stratospheric.

Doesn't the same apply for anyone who becomes successful in the music business, or life in general? 

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, Beedster said:

Just listening to them….

Wonderwall

Don’t look back in anger

Whatever

Little by little

Even if those were their only four songs they’d deserve a reunion, f***ing great songs 👍

I always liked Live Forever. 

Apparently, Noel was a big Nirvana fan but he couldn't understand the negativity behind 'I Hate Myself and Want to Die'. As far as he was concerned, he had f*** all at the time, but he still had things to do and couldn't wait to wake up the next morning to live his life. He wrote LF as a positive response to the Nirvana song. 

https://www.bbc.co.uk/culture/article/20240827-why-oasis-defined-the-spirit-of-90s-britain

Edited by peteb
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Beedster said:

Just listening to them….

Wonderwall

God, I absolutely fkn hate that song. Gies me the dry boak. I have to turn off the radio or leave the room whenever I hear it. I'm not joking. It's one of the two songs in the entire world's repertoire of popular music that I will flat-out refuse to play. 

But it is just Wonderwall. Oasis churned out some cracking songs. Champagne Supernova, Cigarettes and Alcohol, Songbird, Roll With It, Stop Crying Your Heart Out, Don't Look Back In Anger, Live Forever, Shakermaker... the list goes on. And I love Little By Little.

My 80s band stretches the envelope from time to time. An Oasis song hasn't been suggested yet, but if they want to do sodding Caterwaul, they'll have to do it without a bass player. I'd go for Cigarettes and Alcohol, Don't Look Back In Anger, Champagne Supernova or Little By Little in roughly that order. All fabulous bangers.

But Wonderwall? No chance.

• Like 1