Why become a member? ×

Oasis to reform?

I think my fave song by Oasis is Don`t Look Back in Anger, but my fave performance of theirs is their (live) cover of Come on Feel The Noise, the performance of this from their Maine Road gig is excellent.

• Like 1

I'm no fan but I don't mind them reforming. To be honest though I'm sick of hearing it in the news already!

I was never into Britpop so I just didn't really hear them back in the day. I LOVED Our Friends in the North (TV series) when it came out, and the very last song on the last episode was amazing, very cool and so fitted the vibe of the end. It was Don't look back in anger. Since then I have a mild appreciation of the band, although I have realised that I quite like Noel in interviews but I can't stand Liam.

10 minutes ago, Angel said:

I LOVED Our Friends in the North (TV series) when it came out, and the very last song on the last episode was amazing, very cool and so fitted the vibe of the end. It was Don't look back in anger. Since then I have a mild appreciation of the band, although I have realised that I quite like Noel in interviews but I can't stand Liam.

I was never an Oasis fan either, but that final scene of OFITN was absolutely iconic... apparently it went out just before the single was released too.

Then, years later when I finally get to rewatch the series on DVD, it gets to that final scene and - they fade it out. Infuriating. 

Seems standing tickets are £150. That’s punchy. 

In fact, that’s more than the cost of flying to Majorca (where I am currently). As much as I enjoy Oasis, I think a holiday might represent better value.

• Like 3

I try and not get into slagging off bands, because I know they mean something to people whether I like them or not. Plus life's too short, I'd rather talk about what I do like.

But then, Oasis fans might not make the most convincing case for taking that approach, when the brothers Gallagher will loudly have a go at any music that's not boringly dressed white men with guitars. They get hate because they give it.

Edited by Beer of the Bass
  • Like 5

I lived in London for most of the '90s, and you couldn't escape the Britpop Wars: Oasis vs. Blur, Norf vs. Sarf. At that time I was in to Progressive more than anything else, and it wasn't until years later that I got in to late-period Beatles. So it was no contest from my POV. I couldn't imagine Oasis making anything with the power of Charmless Man or the understated emotional punch of Coffee & TV.

• Like 2

The greatest thing on the oasis documentary - and I'll never forget it - is where noel is commenting on the Knebworth gig. Classing it as the last big mass gathering where people really enjoyed the occasion and togetherness before mobile phones and the Internet came and destroyed all that. 

Unfortunately, people remember great great gigs and the dancing, cheering, singing in unison. Unfortunately these gigs will be full of wannabe liams and people just stood there filming on their phones. I really don't think the gigs will be as even oasis remember them. Times have changed for the worse for big band gigs. Ironically it's not even anything to do with the bands themselves. 

Unfortunately £150 to be stood behind a wannabe moron or a cameraman isn't appealing. A gig without any phones would be. 

Also, I always remember noel saying the kept their ticket prices at £20 so the kids like them when they were growing up could afford to come..... That didn't last then.... 

5 hours ago, la bam said:

Unfortunately, people remember great great gigs and the dancing, cheering, singing in unison. Unfortunately these gigs will be full of wannabe liams and people just stood there filming on their phones. I really don't think the gigs will be as even oasis remember them. Times have changed for the worse for big band gigs. Ironically it's not even anything to do with the bands themselves.

Gigs without phones are great, the last Tool gig and Placebo this summer were both no phone gigs, and it really does improve the atmosphere a lot.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Woodinblack said:

Gigs without phones are great, the last Tool gig and Placebo this summer were both no phone gigs, and it really does improve the atmosphere a lot.

Great stuff. I didn't even know they did no phone gigs, but if they do - brilliant. I'd love to wind the clock back to no phone gigs. Just enjoying it! 

9 hours ago, la bam said:

I'd love to wind the clock back to no phone gigs. Just enjoying it!

Kids today seem rather compliant to directions, so easily achieved. They don't have any problem giving them up for the duration of their school day, where schools make it that way.

The best comment I have seen so far about the Oasis ticket situation on Twitter 😂😂

Don't be sad. You can create your own live Oasis experience at home. 

Simply stand 2 immobile action figurines at the end of your garden, drink some warm beer, play any literally Slade single at 33rpm, and set fire to £150.

• Like 1
  • Haha 11

1 hour ago, tonybassplayer said:

The best comment I have seen so far about the Oasis ticket situation on Twitter 😂😂

Don't be sad. You can create your own live Oasis experience at home. 

Simply stand 2 immobile action figurines at the end of your garden, drink some warm beer, play any literally Slade single at 33rpm, and set fire to £150.

I wonder whether Leonard Cohen singles would sound less depressing at 78rpm 😎

13 hours ago, Downunderwonder said:

Kids today seem rather compliant to directions, so easily achieved. They don't have any problem giving them up for the duration of their school day, where schools make it that way.

The gigs I’ve been to, it’s not kids who are the problem. Even regularly see the same from middle aged and older at football matches! 

• Like 1

The dynamic pricing thing is outrageous.

£150 face price  standard standing tickets being trebled in price by Ticketmaster due to being ' in demand'.

Says a lot both about the brazenly mercenary business model of Ticketmaster and Oasis themselves for allowing their fan's devotion to the band to be exploited in a such a cynical fashion.

https://www.nme.com/news/music/oasis-fans-react-to-ticketmasters-dynamic-pricing-3789361

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, Cato said:

£150 face price  standard standing tickets being trebled in price by Ticketmaster due to being ' in demand'.

Says a lot both about the brazenly mercenary business model of Ticketmaster and Oasis themselves for allowing their fan's devotion to the band to be exploited in a such a cynical fashion.

https://www.nme.com/news/music/oasis-fans-react-to-ticketmasters-dynamic-pricing-3789361

Yeah tried all morning to get tickets for my son only to find standing tickets were £356 each. Personally I would not pay £3.56 but he was prepared to pay the supposed £135 (which is still exorbitant for a teenager) but not over £700 for 2 tickets. Oh for the days of dodgy ticket touts outside of venues. At least they weren’t corporate sponsored thieves.

Edited by tegs07

1 minute ago, tegs07 said:

Yeah tried all morning to get tickets for my son only to find standing tickets were £356 each. Personally I would not pay £3.56 but he was prepared to pay the supposed £135 (which is still exorbitant for a teenager) but not over £700 for 2 tickets. Oh for the days of dodgy ticket touts outside of venues. At least they weren’t corporate sponsored thieves.

Yeah agreed. I've been checking my very slow progress on Ticketmaster since 9am. I finally 'got in' and saw my place number in the queue reducing only to get booted out when it was allegedly 'my turn'. I honestly cannot be ar$ed to go through any more of that nonsense. I'd rather put the £700 towards a new bass.

I was trying to explain to my son about buying gig tickets back in the day. I remember travelling by train to Wembley and queuing to get to the box office window to buy tickets on multiple occasions. Yeah you could ring them, but I always had more success going in person. The phone always seemed to ring forever and never get answered or cut off.

I not really bothered about going, but Mrs.H wouldn't have minded seeing them although she did baulk at the prices somewhat.

I think my days of stadium gigs and large festivals are over.

I was trying to think about the last stadium gig I actually enjoyed. It was a long time ago, although the Taylor Hawkins Tribute at Wembley was pretty special.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, hiram.k.hackenbacker said:

Yeah agreed. I've been checking my very slow progress on Ticketmaster since 9am. I finally 'got in' and saw my place number in the queue reducing only to get booted out when it was allegedly 'my turn'. I honestly cannot be ar$ed to go through any more of that nonsense. I'd rather put the £700 towards a new bass.

I was trying to explain to my son about buying gig tickets back in the day. I remember travelling by train to Wembley and queuing to get to the box office window to buy tickets on multiple occasions. Yeah you could ring them, but I always had more success going in person. The phone always seemed to ring forever and never get answered or cut off.

I not really bothered about going, but Mrs.H wouldn't have minded seeing them although she did baulk at the prices somewhat.

I think my days of stadium gigs and large festivals are over.

I was trying to think about the last stadium gig I actually enjoyed. It was a long time ago, although the Taylor Hawkins Tribute at Wembley was pretty special.

I’ve only ever been to one stadium gig. U2 at wembley. First and last. Brixton Academy is about the maximum size venue I can deal with.

Ticket purchase was fine even though it was a pretty hyped gig. Early start and a largish queue at HMV but far more fun than staring at a mobile screen on and off for several hours only to be mugged off at the last minute.

Who would think that there would be nostalgia for queues for paper tickets bought with paper?

Edited by tegs07
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, Cato said:

Absolute daylight robbery. I’m guessing they would argue it’s the same as flights and hotels where

demand determines how high the prices go, but why should that be the case? Ticket prices should

be set, as the sellers must already know/ expect what the demand is - if not, why try to lure people

in to buy at a lower price only to raise them when they try to purchase? 

I’m also really disappointed that the artists concerned seem to think this business model is fair to their

fans - and I’m looking at you Mr Springsteen -  I had expected better. 🤨

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Lozz196 said:

Yeah I remember queuing up at HMV for my Sex Pistols ticket in ‘96. When I bought it I was like a dog with two of the proverbials.

When I was a student in the mid 90s I used to get my annual Glastonbury ticket from a hippie shop that mainly sold joss sticks, scented candles and whale music cds.

• Like 1

I can't say I am surprised, with no law against it and obviously people complaining but paying it, what is there to stop them apart from the artist, and I assume that Oasis are just in it for the money (although whether they get any of that money), they aren't going to stop them.