Why become a member? ×

Oasis to reform?

14 hours ago, casapete said:

- if not, why try to lure people

in to buy at a lower price only to raise them when they try to purchase? 

What really grinds my gears is the process - keeping people on edge in a queue for hours wondering whether or not they'll get tickets at all, then finaly giving them the buzz of getting to the front of the queue only to be told they can only have their tickets at 2-3 times the advertised price and they've only got a short window of time to make their minds up and complete the process or it's game over.

If you asked a psychologist to design a process to manipulate people into paying over the odds I doubt they could come up with anything more effective.

Edited by Cato
  • Like 5

1 hour ago, Cato said:

What really grinds my gears is the process - keeping people on edge in a queue for hours wondering whether or not they'll get tickets at all, then finaly giving them the buzz of getting to the front of the queue only to be told they can only have their tickets at 2-3 times the advertised price and they've only got a short window of time to make their minds up and complete the process or it's game over.

If you aked a psychologist to design a process to manipulate people into paying over the odds I doubt they could come up with anything more effective.

You’ve invested time and want the dopamine hit. It’s calculated to get you to spend (waste) money to get the hit.

I wish I was joking but it’s how it works. Same as gambling. 

In the end, you’d be better off saving your money and waiting for resale tickets. When people realise it’s not the huge cultural phenomenon they’ve been led to believe (because they’ll tour Europe and the States) they’ll start appearing. I’d they’re serious about fighting touts too then that’ll

mean even more availability. 

Half of my mates don’t even know what’s happening next week. Asking them to plan a year in advance is going to be a disaster…

Finally, a lot of people have bought tickets assuming mages will pay them back. People are useless and say one thing and when it comes to forking out £160 to stand in the rain, they’ll possibly decide the other way.

Basically, if you want a ticket I’m near certain you’ll be able to get one if you wait. 

• Like 1

I think I said this on the Taylor Swift thread: artists and TicketBastard have gotten wiser about the way scalpers made money through tickets being sold at below "market value". The scalpers are still trying to make money e.g. there are already Oasis tickets listed at over £6,500.

2 hours ago, bnt said:

I think I said this on the Taylor Swift thread: artists and TicketBastard have gotten wiser about the way scalpers made money through tickets being sold at below "market value". The scalpers are still trying to make money e.g. there are already Oasis tickets listed at over £6,500.

As with vintage Fenders the price advertised and the price paid are often very different things.

Remember when people were paying hundreds of pounds for Teletubby toys? It’s the same thing…

Wait it out and you’ll get a ticket at face value. My wife does this for the Eurovision final pretty much every year and it always works. 

3 hours ago, Burns-bass said:

Wait it out and you’ll get a ticket at face value. My wife does this for the Eurovision final pretty much every year and it always works. 

Now there’s a question - which would you rather go to see, Eurovision final or Oasis.

Only one way to sort it out - FIGHT!!!!

I suspect that while people pay the ridiculous prices being asked, ticketmaster and their ilk will continue to charge (and push) them.

Just imagine what would have happened if Oasis had announced their tour, the various media types had hyped it all then everyone had shown they're not sheep after all and didn't buy any tickets... 

Just reading some of the comments here about dynamic ticket prices and people having hotel bookings cancelled (only for the same bookings to reappear at three times the original price), is pretty abhorrent.

While I love tech and the general ease of purchasing pretty much anything online now, I do pine for the old days where you could just rock up to the Odeon or Rainbow and choose your seat the day the tickets went on sale.  Worst case, buy from a tout for a few quid more on the night.  It just all seems so quaint.  Christ, I lost count if the gigs I attended where we got front two rows because we made some effort.

I just don't get how Ticketmaster seems to have the monopoly on tickets and even then their online service in unable to cope, even at three times the price.  Bands like Pearl Jam went up against them and now they're cozy bedfellows.  Much as people abhor Amazon, they seem to have their 💩 together, so maybe they should get into the ticket racket.

• Like 2

48 minutes ago, NancyJohnson said:

While I love tech and the general ease of purchasing pretty much anything online now, I do pine for the old days where you could just rock up to the Odeon or Rainbow and choose your seat the day the tickets went on sale.  Worst case, buy from a tout for a few quid more on the night.  It just all seems so quaint.  Christ, I lost count if the gigs I attended where we got front two rows because we made some effort.

I agree with you about this. Technology has made life so much more convenient but there definitely seems to be a trade off with this. It might just be nostalgia but the process of ‘consuming’ culture does feel more isolated and less ‘human’

I used to enjoy discovering new music and seeing loads of bands I had never heard of and trawling music shops for some obscure vinyl. It was time consuming but very engaging and an incredibly social experience.

To some extent the likes of Spotify, Ticketmaster and Instagram have eroded this. I may be over romanticising but I don’t think I would have swapped for today’s experience of unlimited digital content and instagramable experiences.

Edited by tegs07
  • Like 1

Just now, tegs07 said:

I used to enjoy discovering new music and seeing loads of bands I had never heard, trawling music shops for some obscure vinyl. It was time consuming but very engaging and an incredibly social experience.

I used to have a bit of a reputation in my immediate group of mates as being the go-to guy for, 'Have you heard anything new recently?'

Like millions of other people I'd trawl Napster/Easynews trying to find stuff.  Gigs, little record shops, obscure snippets in Alternative Press etc.  You might find an album on Dischord with two decent tracks on it, but the hunt was half the fun.  Even now, I favour US indie station W-EQX as my preferred listening; as recently as two days ago heard two great bands (Wishy and Bella's Bartock).

• Like 2

1 hour ago, NancyJohnson said:

Just reading some of the comments here about dynamic ticket prices and people having hotel bookings cancelled (only for the same bookings to reappear at three times the original price), is pretty abhorrent.

I just don't get how Ticketmaster seems to have the monopoly on tickets and even then their online service in unable to cope, even at three times the price.  Bands like Pearl Jam went up against them and now they're cozy bedfellows.  Much as people abhor Amazon, they seem to have their 💩 together, so maybe they should get into the ticket racket.

I just plain don't like added handling fees, and so-on.

6 minutes ago, prowla said:

I just plain don't like added handling fees, and so-on.

I know businesses are in business to make £££, but the handling fee element is bonkers.  Handling fees, facilities fees, booking fees etc.

When all this was fields, I remember my dad driving me up to Hammersmith Odeon to get Rush tickets for their first tour here.  From memory, centre stalls, ten rows back, £3.50 or something.  You just paid the face value to the lady behind the window.

Didn't it used to be that when a band planned a tour, they set the ticket price based on venue hire/size, transport, crew wages, hire etc.?  Now there's just a whole other element where jackals like Ticketmaster/etc are just creaming off even more from ticket buyers; for what?  There's very little human interaction involved.

The sad thing is that buyers just suck it up and you know it's going to get worse.  It's not exclusively Oasis, every band (even my band were subject to this on advance sales).

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, NancyJohnson said:

I know businesses are in business to make £££, but the handling fee element is bonkers.  Handling fees, facilities fees, booking fees etc.

When all this was fields, I remember my dad driving me up to Hammersmith Odeon to get Rush tickets for their first tour here.  From memory, centre stalls, ten rows back, £3.50 or something.  You just paid the face value to the lady behind the window.

Didn't it used to be that when a band planned a tour, they set the ticket price based on venue hire/size, transport, crew wages, hire etc.?  Now there's just a whole other element where jackals like Ticketmaster/etc are just creaming off even more from ticket buyers; for what?  There's very little human interaction involved.

The sad thing is that buyers just suck it up and you know it's going to get worse.  It's not exclusively Oasis, every band (even my band were subject to this on advance sales).

It's got very de-personalised.

Then again, stadium-sized gigs are very detached for me too.

• Like 2

31 minutes ago, prowla said:

It's got very de-personalised.

Then again, stadium-sized gigs are very detached for me too.

Agree over the last couple of years I’ve been to a few big gigs, and also to Black Stone Cherry at The Islington Assembly Hall, this def the best gig by far.

I wont be getting into the bunfight for inflated tickets to watch the puppets,  cos i'm lazy and  need to maintain the importance of being idle.

That's despite their 90'stuff being good sing along toons for the foot tapping proles down t' pub.  It was my ex  in the 90's that adored them, me... sort of indifferent.  L+M are just two boring 3rd rate slapstick comedians.  The songs are more entertaining than both of those two genitals.

it's about time that added on fees that cannot be avoided are banned, why they can't be just incorporated into the ticket price? it's bonkers, I can't think any other example that this is the case, even Ryan Air extras can be avoided, with difficulty

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, PaulWarning said:

it's about time that added on fees that cannot be avoided are banned, why they can't be just incorporated into the ticket price? 

Indeed - you can't list the non vat price on a public facing price list as people can't buy it without vat, so anything you can't buy without a fee, the fee should be included.

• Like 1

On a different note, we have been playing Rock’n’Roll Star for quite a while. Usually goes down fairly well.

If proof were required that Oasis fever has gripped the country, look no further than our gig last night.

RnRStar produced an off the scale reaction. Bouncing off the walls they were. Odd but not entirely unexpected.

Followed it up with Don’t Look Back in Anger. Job done - re-bookings aplenty. 

Really must learn a few more. Cigarettes and Alcohol next I think. 
Yeah, I know, but give ‘em what they want I say 😎

• Like 3