Why become a member? ×

Oasis to reform?

As I said in the other thread, if you didn't see them in a little club back in 93 or 94 you've really missed your chance. 

IMO you'd be better off spending the money you'll need to fork out for Oasis tickets on going to see one new band a month at a local venue where you'll be able to pay on the door and, if you like what you hear, buy a T-shirt from them afterwards. You never know one of those gigs might include someone who goes on to be a massive household name, and then you can claim to have seen them when they were still good and you could talk to them afterwards.

• Like 9
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, BigRedX said:

As I said in the other thread, if you didn't see them in a little club back in 93 or 94 you've really missed your chance. 

IMO you'd be better off spending the money you'll need to fork out for Oasis tickets on going to see one new band a month at a local venue where you'll be able to pay on the door and, if you like what you hear, buy a T-shirt from them afterwards. You never know one of those gigs might include someone who goes on to be a massive household name, and then you can claim to have seen them when they were still good and you could talk to them afterwards.

I did exactly that with Biffy Clyro. Saw them at a gig with about 15 people there 20 odd years ago. T'was my plan all along!!! Bwa ha ha ha ha! (That was an 'evil' laugh by the way...)

• Haha 1

19 minutes ago, binky_bass said:

I did exactly that with Biffy Clyro. Saw them at a gig with about 15 people there 20 odd years ago. T'was my plan all along!!! Bwa ha ha ha ha! (That was an 'evil' laugh by the way...)

I saw U2 in 1980 at The Boat Club in Nottingham with about 50 other people. One of those I went with knew them from when they were just a local band in Dublin so after the gig I got to meet Bono and The Edge.

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, BigRedX said:

I saw U2 in 1980 at The Boat Club in Nottingham with about 50 other people. One of those I went with knew them from when they were just a local band in Dublin so after the gig I got to meet Bono and The Edge.

Or Paul and Dave as they probably were back then.

I'm just glad all the really GREAT bands have either finished, or aren't media darlings..... That way I never have to deal with anything over £100 and can get tkts reasonably easily.

Is it just me, or just me as a bass player..... But a 'band' reforming should be the full band. Not just the singer and guitarist. The euphoria of just 2 of the members getting back together and it being called a band reunion is a bit off the mark for me. I'd be just as happy to see guigsy on bass as I would noel on guitar. 

• Like 1

On 31/08/2024 at 17:03, tegs07 said:

Yeah tried all morning to get tickets for my son only to find standing tickets were £356 each. Personally I would not pay £3.56 but he was prepared to pay the supposed £135 (which is still exorbitant for a teenager) but not over £700 for 2 tickets. Oh for the days of dodgy ticket touts outside of venues. At least they weren’t corporate sponsored thieves.

Before our gig last night, the guitarist had either a website or an app up on his phone which was showing current ticket prices (I assume from touts), and they were up to £4800 - that's £4.8k, not a mistype.

• Haha 1

23 hours ago, Burns-bass said:

As with vintage Fenders the price advertised and the price paid are often very different things.

Remember when people were paying hundreds of pounds for Teletubby toys? It’s the same thing…

Wait it out and you’ll get a ticket at face value. My wife does this for the Eurovision final pretty much every year and it always works. 

Back when I was a student in London (so 50 years ago), one of my fellow students went to a Stones concert. There were touts outside who couldn't even sell tickets at a loss. I somehow doubt that the same will apply to Oasis though (this was before the Stones had even considered doing their first farewell tour, let alone have a reunion).

21 minutes ago, tauzero said:

Before our gig last night, the guitarist had either a website or an app up on his phone which was showing current ticket prices (I assume from touts), and they were up to £4800 - that's £4.8k, not a mistype.

If anyone pays this they should be sectioned.

1 hour ago, la bam said:

Is it just me, or just me as a bass player..... But a 'band' reforming should be the full band. Not just the singer and guitarist. The euphoria of just 2 of the members getting back together and it being called a band reunion is a bit off the mark for me. I'd be just as happy to see guigsy on bass as I would noel on guitar. 

I went to see Queen in Hyde Park years back, it was hosted by Peter Kay. Introducing Queen he said after a joke or two '.. here it is the moment you have been waiting for.. QUEEN!.... Well, two of them anyway' 😁

6 minutes ago, prowla said:

So, the government are going to look into things...

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/articles/c20r26p7d0ro

IMHO, the dynamic pricing is pretty disgraceful; imaging queueing for hours and then finding the price had trebled!

It's manipulation, playing on the gambling & auction fever psyche.

Think that’s what happened to my son, when it finally got to him they wanted £750, he said he doesn’t like them that much 

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

14 hours ago, ezbass said:

Or Paul and Dave as they probably were back then.

They were most definitely Bono and The Edge even back then. Still nice people though.

13 hours ago, cetera said:

I'm just glad all the really GREAT bands have either finished, or aren't media darlings..... That way I never have to deal with anything over £100 and can get tkts reasonably easily.

Much the same for me. Apart from U2 (and they were terrible when I saw them at Rock City the following year and consequently lost interest) none of the bands I really like get to the point where tickets cost over a hundred pounds. These days most of the bands I like I get to see for free because I'm playing on the same bill.

Edited by BigRedX
  • Like 1

I watched Noel Gallaghers High Flying Birds a few weeks back in Wigan.  The bass player (Russ Pritchard) totes a very nice looking 60's P bass which sounded phenomenal!  Backline seemed to be a Fender Bassman 8x10.  For one song he also pulled out what appeared to be a 70's fireglo ric.....just in case anyone was interested :)

• Like 3

1 hour ago, prowla said:

IMHO, the dynamic pricing is pretty disgraceful; imaging queueing for hours and then finding the price had trebled!

Well done to them if they can do something to prevent this.

47 minutes ago, la bam said:

Its mental, and shouldn't work. But it does..... 

As the old saying goes - a fool and his money are easily parted

Folks contemplating paying £sillymoney to see a couple of motionless figures 200m away are the same folks who went out and panic bought bog rolls cos they heard on the telly that other folks were doing it.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, prowla said:

It's simple supply and demand. Nothing wrong with it.

If people can't afford, they won't buy.

Same happens with train and airline tickets in the summer. 

It's up to Oasis to question where this 'extra' money will be going and take then to court if necessary to force reimbursements. 

• Like 1