Why become a member? ×

Are these the worst relics you've seen?

Sparky Mark

I find the concept of relic basses bizarre and annoying, and many of them look awful. But I actually wouldn't mind owning one because I like the look of battered old instruments. Consistency isn't really my strong point...

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Jean-Luc Pickguard said:

I don't mind a decent relic and I love my JMJs despite the relicing, but if Fender did a special run of the JMJ mustangs still in nitro but without any 'roadworn' treatment, I'd be first in the queue to buy at least one.

Yep, to me the JMJs are incredibly well done, really look like genuine wear - in fact all of my bandmates in both bands thought I’d bought a really old vintage instrument the first time I took it to rehearsal.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, JoeEvans said:

I find the concept of relic basses bizarre and annoying, and many of them look awful. But I actually wouldn't mind owning one because I like the look of battered old instruments.

I'm there too, with the added complication of being too precious about my basses to allow them to get into 'relic' condition organically.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Posted (edited)

I do have a few relic basses, which have been done really well IMO. I couldn't buy a Pino P any other way unfortunately. I'm okay with them because I don't get stressed when they pick up dings on gigs. I hate scratching pristine basses. YMMV of course. 

20240827_193253.thumb.jpg.1b1847d0971c6c5ca2d1641808986675.jpg

20240827_193702.thumb.jpg.c29088f046daf4cd0b30917f2b6e4b9f.jpg

20240328_185553.thumb.jpg.cee2b12470faa804005ec6dbeeb7d943.jpg

Edited by Sparky Mark
  • Like 7