Why become a member? ×

Home use, tiny, but good combo?

Rayman

12 minutes ago, Rayman said:

Thanks all for the great responses…… trouble is, now I don’t know exactly what actually want anymore! 

I’m not after anything giggable, I have all that covered. This is purely home only, noodling along to music on the TV or Spotify. So, no massive bottom end required, but equally I don’t want something that sounds like I’m playing through a transistor radio (one for the kids). Primary function is small but sounds decent, but also doesn’t break the bank.

I will try and let you know on the Joyo on Saturday if I can get to try it while hiding it from the missus.

I liked the fact it could sit on the desk in my home office and not be too obvious. I also liked the fact it could be battery powered and even has strap buttons to wear it on a second strap! I have done a few gigs with the concert band at a fair in a field where we had to hire a generator for my amp.  If this is loud enough sat on a resonant surface it could be an option for that (not that we have done that gig for about 4 years, but it is good to be prepared!)

Thomann have it at £33 with £10 delivery, so that may be an option once the Amazon deal wears off.  Looking at the vids on their site and the Amazon one I reckon it will be better for the less low end loving bass players put I reckon it should be good enough for noodling along on my own when I fancy a play along. 

Thanks for starting this thread and getting me to fritter away even more cash! 

• Thanks 1

Early on I was using a GK MB 200 into an Ampeg 210AV. It was a very nice sounding rig. I picked up the RB cheaply on kijiji , and found the cab in the used section of a local music shop. So I got a good deal there too. It wasn’t too big and could easily carry a band rehearsal or gig that wasn’t too loud. 
It was a great rig for the money. I just got a little nerdy and kept buying stuff after I got it going …

IMG_5257.jpeg

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Rayman said:

Thanks all for the great responses…… trouble is, now I don’t know exactly what actually want anymore! 

I’m not after anything giggable, I have all that covered. This is purely home only, noodling along to music on the TV or Spotify. So, no massive bottom end required, but equally I don’t want something that sounds like I’m playing through a transistor radio (one for the kids). Primary function is small but sounds decent, but also doesn’t break the bank.

I've just bought an Ashdown Studio 10 for home and quiet rehearsals. It sounds perfectly adequate for quiet rehearsals / practice. It doesn't give the tone or slam of a full size rig, but I wouldn't of expected it to for the price.

https://ashdownmusic.com/products/studio-10-copy

https://www.pmtonline.co.uk/ashdown-studio-10-super-lightweight-50w-bass-combo-amp

Price is good too. 

Edited by spyder
  • Like 1

Ok so….

I’ve made two bids on the bay that will end in the next couple of days. A Roland micro cube and a Laney R1, so we’ll see.

If I miss out there, I’ll think again.

7 hours ago, Rayman said:

Is all your gigging stuff massive? If you have a small head/cab, you could get a small head/cab to use with it. I use my AG700 (which is only the size of a couple of books stacked on top of each other) with a single 4x5 PJB cab at home. Works well at low volumes.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Dan Dare said:

Is all your gigging stuff massive? If you have a small head/cab, you could get a small head/cab to use with it. I use my AG700 (which is only the size of a couple of books stacked on top of each other) with a single 4x5 PJB cab at home. Works well at low volumes.

Ashdown ABM500 head and cabs or the ABM combo for gigs, or a TCBQ500 and 4x10, all dependant on the venue.

So not massive no, but way more than I want for home noodling, although Mrs Rayman does enjoy the low end vibrations of a Gibson Thunderbird through the full Ashdown rig. 

I could, get a 1x10 something or other cab for the TC to go into, but it’s not what I’m after. I just want a little combo.

I have one of the older Yamaha THR10s. I use it mostly as a speaker for my computer where it works particularly well for zoom meetings, but it sounds fine as a practice amp for both guitar and bass. Looks nice as well.

I've got an old Roland Cube 30 and it's brilliant even if it is a bit heavy by modern standards. I have that in a bedroom and it's very loud for its size. I've done small gigs with it in the past with a variety of acoustic instruments (woodwinds / horns etc).

I've just put together a new little lounge rig - I wanted something for guitar and bass, so I've got a Tonex and a Yamaha HS7 studio monitor, and a couple of other pedals. I have guitar and bass patches on the Tonex and the HS7 amplifies it all very well, with more than enough volume for home.

The Tonex only does amps / cabs / Compression / basic reverb. It doesn't do delays or other time based FX like phasers / chorus etc etc.

My little board (Pedaltrain Nano) has the Tonex, an overdrive, a Tape Echo/delay and a phaser.

The onboard compressor is a bit basic, but certainly enough for home use like this.

And if necessary I can just take the little board out and plug into any PA anywhere.

On 27/08/2024 at 20:16, SamIAm said:

To add another option in the mix, I'm not sure if this is still available but if so ... I had one and loved it, not huge (But heavy) and is totally adaquate for home/practice or even small gig use ... and it sounds really great!

Sam x

I love this amp model.  Bought one used right here on Basschat and can't imagine life without it at this point.  I can't believe I never had one before.

Edited by Agent 00Soul
  • Like 1

I'm going to say Phil Jones Bass Double Four too. 

It's a cracking bit of kit and sounds wonderful in the house. Note though that it can actually get quite loud for a home environment/neighbours. 

Ed Friedland actually gigs with his.

Rob

• Like 1

On 29/08/2024 at 11:45, Rayman said:

Have you ruled out a self build? I designed the basschat 6" cab for precisely this use, it's tiny but has a proper speaker that will handle bass. The bottom end has been sacrificed deliberately but it has a flat response from just below 80Hz all the way up to the highest frequencies from a bass and in a small room it sounds beautufully clear and has plentyof bass if you don't want that rumble that permeates the house. You can use it with your TC

If not then another option is to use a studio monitor, I use an RCF Ayra Pro 5, if you want tone shaping then something like a Sansamp or a Zoom B1 four will drive it or your Phil Jones Bighead

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Phil Starr said:

Have you ruled out a self build? I designed the basschat 6" cab for precisely this use, it's tiny but has a proper speaker that will handle bass.

Hi Phil, could you link to this?

• Like 1

On 27/08/2024 at 14:43, Rayman said:

The last acquisition was a 10W Vox Pathfinder, which is abysmal. I also tried a Line 6 studio 110, which is also rubbish. I was pretty happy with the Peavey Microbass, but my daughter now has that, and it’s physically bigger than I want. I really want something very small. I even considered the Positive Grid Spark stuff. 

Just to let you know I tried the Positive Grid Spark with bass and then send the unit back. I brought it on pre-order and it was pointless for bass. Not so bad for guitar but useless for bass. I even made a video for Positive Grid as they were being difficult even though their website said it could be returned. No bass, no power at all.

Just my 2c

Rob

• Thanks 1

I also am looking for exactly what the OP wanted. Something small and not headphone based, I have a NUX headphone amp which is OK but sometimes I don't want to wear headphones. I won't derail this thread though and will lurk. Interested in what @Phil Starr recommends for an amp for his self build as well.

Thanks

Rob

At least now I know who has me on their ignore list, as I linked to the very self-same thing in the seventh post on the thread. 😁

I can recommend a Tecamp Puma 900 as an amp for this, and for many other applications. Might be overkill though, the Hotone Thunder will also do the job, and there's probably a Harley Benton amp or two which would suit.

• Haha 2

On 27/08/2024 at 14:43, Rayman said:

I’ve dabbled a bit with small amps for home, but I’ve fallen short every time.

I don't think anyone has mentioned the Orange Crush 25B yet - I use it as my practice amp, and it's also loud enough to use as my amp performing in church. Church of England, nothing too raucous! 😉 

On 27/08/2024 at 19:46, Dan Dare said:

If you have money to spend, the Phil Jones Double Four is nice.

I had one, and it did sound lovely. But it only lasted about a year before the pre-amp circuit blew. 

Edited by Rosie C
  • Like 1

Well, the Joyo turned up late on Saturday.

It has a cute LED light up logo on the front, but I think that is about the only positive.....

Only joking - in truth, if you mess around with it, you can get a fairly decent sound out of it.  It won't rumble your trousers, but does sound like a bass sound.  I ended up having Volume full up, tone off and gain as high as I could get it without distorting, but that probably only just got me to a level I was happy practicing with in a small room.  At those levels I was getting hum when I didn't touch the strings and it would struggle with the low B string notes on my 5 string.

I am pretty sure it would not be loud enough to keep up with my concert band, so using it portable with batteries will probably never be needed.  It might work jamming along with one acoustic guitar, but I reckon that would be about it.

In summary - it will be fine for what I bought it for - noodling along to stuff in my office,  but I will have to accept it won't sound the greatest.  

I think if you have really sensitive neighbours this will be good as it will never produce anything that could shake the walls, but if you don't and have the cash and the room, playing a bigger rig on quiet would probably be a better choice than this.  

There you go, that's my review.  I'll hold on to it for a while and see how much I use it.

• Like 2

On 02/09/2024 at 07:45, Huge Hands said:

Well, the Joyo turned up late on Saturday.

It has a cute LED light up logo on the front, but I think that is about the only positive.....

Only joking - in truth, if you mess around with it, you can get a fairly decent sound out of it.  It won't rumble your trousers, but does sound like a bass sound.  I ended up having Volume full up, tone off and gain as high as I could get it without distorting, but that probably only just got me to a level I was happy practicing with in a small room.  At those levels I was getting hum when I didn't touch the strings and it would struggle with the low B string notes on my 5 string.

I am pretty sure it would not be loud enough to keep up with my concert band, so using it portable with batteries will probably never be needed.  It might work jamming along with one acoustic guitar, but I reckon that would be about it.

In summary - it will be fine for what I bought it for - noodling along to stuff in my office,  but I will have to accept it won't sound the greatest.  

I think if you have really sensitive neighbours this will be good as it will never produce anything that could shake the walls, but if you don't and have the cash and the room, playing a bigger rig on quiet would probably be a better choice than this.  

There you go, that's my review.  I'll hold on to it for a while and see how much I use it.

I'm very glad you put this up! I've just been asked to do a run of busking gigs for a local music festival, unfortunately I need some kind of battery powered amp and/or an acoustic bass.

I was just looking at this joyo on anazon for £45, not sure if itll work against an acoustic guitar/cajon/fiddle.

My search continues

Edited by lee650

8 hours ago, lee650 said:

I'm very glad you put this up! I've just been asked to do a run of busking gigs for a local music festival, unfortunately I need some kind of battery powered amp and/or an acoustic bass.

I was just looking at this joyo on anazon for £45, not sure if itll work against an acoustic guitar/cajon/fiddle.

My search continues

A few years ago, when we were regularly doing that summer fete concert with no localised power, I did start looking at the battery powered QTX PA speakers on Amazon that were about £200- £400, depending on which size driver/power ratings you went for.

We had some similar much more expensive PA speakers at work (but no more professional looking) called MiPro.  If the QTXs were a copy of these, I thought they might work.  The MiPros had 2 little 12V motorbike batteries in them and would last for almost 8 hours when new.  I used to try them in our workshop with my bass (when I had it with me at work) just connected direct to the line in and it would be plenty loud, so I think with a proper pre-amp it would have more than done the gig.

Added to this, you usually get at least one toy town quality plastic radio mic with it, so can use it as an impromptu PA for other things.

I never did buy one as we stopped doing that fete but thought it was worth a punt on the Joyo to see if it would do it (for just £36 on offer).  It wouldn't.   However, I have now relocated it to its intended location in my home office (that sounds posh - it is actually a 6'x4' cupboard) and it will do the trick in there for practicing - unless the humming ground issue does my head in and I put my shoe through it......

EDIT - Just to add - I have a double bass and an acoustic bass guitar.  It is amazing how loud jangling acoustic guitars / little violin ensembles can get to the point where you're making your fingers bleed and still can't hear yourself.  I think I'd be looking at some form of amplification if you can.

Edited by Huge Hands

20240418_165903.thumb.jpg.aeee8e6b49ae1e14d5e800805bfa4be2.jpg

I also have a Joyo MA10B in my partner's lounge (and a Hohner B2).

Alternative heads for the C2 cab are an Elf (just loud enough to gig with a quiet drummer) and a wee Hotone mode redundant by the Joyo BadASS.

Edited by Stub Mandrel
  • Like 2