Why become a member? ×

Shoegaze Dreampop Hardcore Post-Punk Sludge Stoner Doom New-Wave Midwest Emo Indie Alt-Rock

I have literally no idea what most of these mean, what sort of songs they are, what sort of bass-playing they require ... indeed, whether or not they actually need any bass.

I suspect that many of the people using them have wildly different definitions from each other anyway.

Am I missing something? Should I invest hours/days/weeks going down the wastepipe rabbit-hole of trying to understand all these things, or is it safe to carry on ignoring them?

• Like 1

I'd go to Spotify or YouTube and find a playlist in that style and give it a listen.

Incidentally, why do you want to know...you hardly sound enthused! :)

I listen to quite a lot of music that could be defined as dream pop and shoegaze, but describing music is a lot tougher than just listening to it and deciding yourself tbh.

Edited by ahpook
  • Like 1

Just now, ahpook said:

Incidentally, why do you want to know...you hardly sound enthused! :)

I'm always on the lookout for interesting side-projects so I check JMB / Gumtree / FB every day in case something crops up. Looking at a singe page of JMB this afternoon offered me ALL of those tags above in the space of about 30/40 listings and I realised that the whole lot was simply washing over me.

1 minute ago, Happy Jack said:

I'm always on the lookout for interesting side-projects so I check JMB / Gumtree / FB every day in case something crops up. Looking at a singe page of JMB this afternoon offered me ALL of those tags above in the space of about 30/40 listings and I realised that the whole lot was simply washing over me.

Fair doos. Listen to some yourself, you can't describe taste IMHO.

Edited by ahpook

Those genres all mean something to me as I've invested a lot of time and effort in more obscure music - I'm someone who considers if I'm listening to brutal death metal or slam death metal for instance

Whilst there is certainly similarities between some of the genres you've named, there is also nuanced differences

Doom, stoner and sludge for instance will have elements of their sound that crosses over - in these cases they probably all love Black Sabbath - but there will be differences between a doom band and a sludge band and stoner one will be different still

dreampop and shoegaze are very close bedfellows and you wouldn't be wrong to say the same for mid-west emo and indie, however you can make a distinction between them if you want

You don't need to sub-divide genres at all if you don't want to, but then some folk will have vigerous debates about for example, what makes a band post-hardcore rather than emo

The purpose, as I see it of these categorisations and sub-genres is to aid communication when describing to others what a band sounds like, so I have an idea of what I'm going to hear and how to find similar sounding acts if I like it

However, there's no need to make the distinctions if you don't want or need to.

Apologies for what is probably a very autistic answer

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

I remember the term Shoegaze first being used back in the early 1990s. It was originally coined as a term of derision, by Sounds Magazine journalist (who later became head of Food Records, home to Blur, Jesus Jones etc) Andy Ross. Having been shackled with the term myself for a long period, back in the days when I was musically active, I derive great amusement from the fact that it is now a genuinely respected and admired musical genre. Its frequently used a reference point in musicians wanted ads and you can wander into any record shop, anywhere in the world and find it in use in the racks as a genre definition too. Not bad for a term of abuse.

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, Happy Jack said:

I have literally no idea what most of these mean, what sort of songs they are, what sort of bass-playing they require ... indeed, whether or not they actually need any bass.

I suspect that many of the people using them have wildly different definitions from each other anyway.

Am I missing something? Should I invest hours/days/weeks going down the wastepipe rabbit-hole of trying to understand all these things, or is it safe to carry on ignoring them?

Ok boomer 😉

• Like 1
  • Haha 6

3 minutes ago, Lozz196 said:

I thought at first it must be a new form of music where all of the terms were being used. 

I heard you like niches, so I put a niche in your niche so you can niche whilst you're niching :)

• Haha 2

55 minutes ago, Happy Jack said:

It’s the Daily Bassgraph 😆

• Haha 1

Wow! Looking at this heading was giving me a headache . I thought for a moment or two , that it was a new musical genre . 

Having said that , you could ask yourself if you are willing to give a listen to a band or two of the different genres you have listed.

Happy Jack is probably something you won't be after attempting to do so. 🙂 Tbh , the chances of you playing the stuff you've mentioned are ..nil imho.

Anyway  I thought it is only fair to point you into the right direction of some bands to listen too just for the fun of it ,plus you can say you know who some of these bands represent . 

Stoner ...monster magnet . 
Doom...Obituary

Emo...my chemical romance 

Harcore ...DRI / Gang Green / sick of it all  / stormtroopers of death  ( not too sure if all that is correct as nobody really knows)

The others I just haven't a clue . I'm sure you'll be pointed in the right direction . 

Fwiw in all seriousness , have you thought of doing a thrash stray cats tribute ?  Plug distortion in your double bass and off you go 😀

1 hour ago, RAY AGAINST THE MACHINE said:

Fwiw in all seriousness , have you thought of doing a thrash stray cats tribute ?  Plug distortion in your double bass and off you go 😀

Aha! An excuse to re-post one of my all-time fave YouTubes ...

8 minutes ago, toneknob said:

Not really a fan.

I'm more into Hardcore Stoner Sludge Midwest Shoegaze Alt-Rock Dreampop Post-Punk Doom New-Wave Emo Indie (early stuff only)

Splitter !!

:)

• Haha 2

Spotify recently pigeonholed me as being into "Crank-Wave"... whatever that is.

Personally, I prefer Post-(Shoegaze-Dreampop-Hardcore-Post-Punk-Sludge-Stoner-Doom-New-Wave Midwest Emo Indie Alt-Rock), as it is a bit more earthy.