Why become a member? ×

Shoegaze Dreampop Hardcore Post-Punk Sludge Stoner Doom New-Wave Midwest Emo Indie Alt-Rock

One of my new students today said that his favourite genre was Midwest Emo. I am going to have to do some research. I am happy to let all the dance genres and sub-genres wash over me but this was a challenge.

13 minutes ago, Owen said:

One of my new students today said that his favourite genre was Midwest Emo. I am going to have to do some research. I am happy to let all the dance genres and sub-genres wash over me but this was a challenge.

Midwest Emo is so 2023, it’s moved west since 👍

BTW when I was a kid and first came across the idea of ‘West Coast Rock’, with my Anglo-centric view of music I assumed it was a product of Cornwall, Devon at a stretch. I used to look at pictures of Stevie Nicks on Mac albums and long for my family to book a holiday to Penzance 😆

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

Oi, what happened to Progressive Vegetarian Grindcore, that's what I want to know!

I'd say that with the exception of emo (which is middle-class white kids moaning about how hard they have it) that all the genres named in the title have their origins in the late 1980's or early 1990's and are just rock music at heart.

7 minutes ago, Jackroadkill said:

rock music

If by 'rock music' you mean anything with a guitar, ok.  But it isn't. Metal is not rock. Stoner, Sludge, Doom and Hardcore are variants of Metal.

(there's also hardcore House which is electronic dance music)

9 hours ago, Bolo said:

If by 'rock music' you mean anything with a guitar, ok.  But it isn't. Metal is not rock. Stoner, Sludge, Doom and Hardcore are variants of Metal.

(there's also hardcore House which is electronic dance music)

so when did metal stop being a genre of rock?

• Like 2

On 29/08/2024 at 13:36, Happy Jack said:

I have literally no idea what most of these mean...

Ah, allow me...

• Shoegaze - when you are tying your shoelaces and your shoes look back up at you because they don't want to go for a walk, they want to eat chips, sit on the sofa and watch Casualty.
  • Dreampop - that awful moment when you are finally about to engage in tongue Kung-Fu with *insert attractive celebrity here* and you are woken up by the fourth slash of the night. Thanks enlarged prostate.
  • Hardcore - broken bricks, rubble, or similar solid material used as a filling or foundation in building and nothing whatsoever to do with Pr0n M'Lud.
  • Post-Punk - a service whereby pink-haired thugs gob through your letterbox.
  • Sludge - an obscure animated character who appeared in only two episodes of the 60s Hanna-Barbera cartoon series The Flintstones. He was a bouncer who worked the door of the club where Fred and Barney attended drunken parties held by The Loyal Order of Water Buffaloes.
  • Stoner Doom - a term used in dry-stone walling circles in North Yorkshire, essentially a wall collapse due to furtive sheep action or drunk-driving veterinary incidents.
  • New-Wave - the latest type of wave employed by any of the younger royals upon their inaugural trip in a carriage.
  • Midwest Emo - the initial name for the act that subsequently went on to great success renamed as Rod Hull and Emu.
  • Indie - Short Stop's nickname for Doctor Jones as used with annoying frequency in the 1984 film Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom and played by Vietnamese actor Ke Huy Quan.
  • Alt-Rock - a sugar free vegan tofu alternative to the teeth-demolishing confection sold to unwitting children on Blackpool's 'Golden' Mile and certainly not a county lines soubriquet for crack cocaine.
On 29/08/2024 at 13:36, Happy Jack said:

...or is it safe to carry on ignoring them?

Yes.

• Like 1
  • Haha 5

With so many categories, I forgot to mention " post punk " . Step forward the Anti-Nowhere League 🙂

The first album is all you need . The infamous / famous track " so what" was originally on the b side of Streets of London , or as it I hate people ?🤔I had it many moons ago . The cd has it anyway . 

There are othe post punk bands obviously , but to me the Anti- Nowhere League's We are The League has it all . 

As you were ..

On 29/08/2024 at 22:11, Owen said:

I looked through a list of 50 acts and thought I recognised one - Modest Mouse. But then I realised this wasn't the bloke that wrote Night on Bare Mountain. 

• Haha 1

On 29/08/2024 at 13:50, Happy Jack said:

I'm always on the lookout for interesting side-projects so I check JMB / Gumtree / FB every day in case something crops up. Looking at a singe page of JMB this afternoon offered me ALL of those tags above in the space of about 30/40 listings and I realised that the whole lot was simply washing over me.

I'm looking forward to retirement!

I'm in one band, would like to be in a second, in case the first band folds, but struggle to find time to commit to more than just the one band.

5 years 6 months to go...

7 hours ago, tauzero said:

It was you who said that the website was fairly accurate. Still, coitum volante non dono.

I said that  got close, referring to the image posted. It also gets a lot wrong. Pantera is groove metal, Motley crue is hair metal or glam, etc etc.

They're as different as disco and funk. 

On 30/08/2024 at 17:54, Frank Blank said:

Post-Punk - a service whereby pink-haired thugs gob through your letterbox.

Not us!

For our next gig at Worcester Music festival (13th Sept, The Pheasant!) we've been billed as:

Choked play original Post-Punk Rock, socially conscious, fierce and funky

It probably should have said:

Choked play original Post-Punk Rock, they'll give your dog a biscuit then piddle through your letterbox

Still don't know what Post-Punk Rock is, apart from we came into collective existence after the (hotly debated!) genesis of punk...

On 29/08/2024 at 14:01, AMV001 said:

I remember the term Shoegaze first being used back in the early 1990s. It was originally coined as a term of derision, by Sounds Magazine journalist (who later became head of Food Records, home to Blur, Jesus Jones etc) Andy Ross. Having been shackled with the term myself for a long period, back in the days when I was musically active, I derive great amusement from the fact that it is now a genuinely respected and admired musical genre. Its frequently used a reference point in musicians wanted ads and you can wander into any record shop, anywhere in the world and find it in use in the racks as a genre definition too. Not bad for a term of abuse.

As if to prove the point, went to a record fair yesterday and found this...

20240901_114350.jpg

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Barking Spiders said:

Rock is music primarily played by guitar bands, as is metal. Why then is metal considered not to be a sub-genre of rock but something separate?

Snobbery?