Why become a member? Ɨ

Mozza

I find it amazing that Mozza appears to turn this on Marr, whose restraint and humour in response makes Mozza look even more pathetic.
Ā 

A good mate of mine summed things up rather nicely after Rock Astleyā€™s Smiths set at Glasto ā€˜People love the music of The Smiths so much that theyā€™re prepared to watch literally anyone but Morrisey sing itā€¦ā€™

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

Never a Smiths/Morrissey fan, so much so that if I was on Pointless I'd only be able to name one song (Panic) from the entire output.

Ā 

I've got a mate though, big fan; literally lives and breathes them.Ā  When people say they know every word of every song, this is the guy.Ā  (Believe me, we tested it over dinner one night.). He knows of Morrissey's alleged political alignment(s) but the overriding thing is the music, that trumps everything and is more disappointed that they just don't lick their wounds and do it for their fanbase.

Ā 

While there may be bad blood between them, because someone is the polar opposite of your political ideology doesn't necessarily make them a bad person, does it?

15 minutes ago, NancyJohnson said:

While there may be bad blood between them, because someone is the polar opposite of your political ideology doesn't necessarily make them a bad person, does it?

Ā 

Normally I'd agree (see Gallagher versus Gallagher), but I suspect that Mozza has burned the last remaining bridge; he's been quite unpleasant even in public, I dread to think what he's like to work with over an extended period. I take my hat off to Marr for turning down what could/would no doubt be a massive payday and remaining true to playing music that he likes to play with people he likes to play with. He's also I suspect pragmatic enough to know that the tour would be unlikely to make it past a few weeks....

Ā 

There's a sense reading around this stuff that people feel that Mozza has reached out with an olive branch and Marr, having not responded, is the bad guy. I suspect the truth is that Mozza - as do Liam and Noel - sees a massive payday plus a potential renaissance of his media status and possibly a chance to restore his very damaged reputation, while Marr simply sees no reason other than money to be involved. Part of me hopes Marr ends up on the Oasis tour just to really piss Mozza off :)Ā 

• Like 2

Personally I donā€™t understand why fans want to see bands that were really important and relevant in their time reforming and creating some pale middle aged interpretation of their youth. I can get it with blues, reggae, pink Floyd even (like a decent red wine they age well) Ā but personally I donā€™t think music written by angry young guys translates well when rehashed by comfortably off middle aged guys to an audience of comfortably off middle aged guys, largely because of the payday.Ā 

Ā 

Plus Morrisey has always been a tw@t, he is now just a cantankerous, dissatisfied caricature of a tw@t (on stilts).

Edited by tegs07
  • Like 4

There's a lot more to this than the recent offer and simply saying Marr is turning down money ignores a lot of the interaction between them since the breakup of The Smiths. They continually get offers and have been close to reuniting more than once, only for Morrissey to ghost Marr. The Joyce/Rourke lawsuit had them on opposing sides too and seemed to be the point where they really stopped getting along.
Ā 

If you don't need the money and you certainly don't need the ballache, why would you chase the first when you know the second is part of the package?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Beedster said:

Ā 

Normally I'd agree (see Gallagher versus Gallagher), but I suspect that Mozza has burned the last remaining bridge; he's been quite unpleasant even in public, I dread to think what he's like to work with over an extended period. I take my hat off to Marr for turning down what could/would no doubt be a massive payday and remaining true to playing music that he likes to play with people he likes to play with. He's also I suspect pragmatic enough to know that the tour would be unlikely to make it past a few weeks....

Ā 

There's a sense reading around this stuff that people feel that Mozza has reached out with an olive branch and Marr, having not responded, is the bad guy. I suspect the truth is that Mozza - as do Liam and Noel - sees a massive payday plus a potential renaissance of his media status and possibly a chance to restore his very damaged reputation, while Marr simply sees no reason other than money to be involved. Part of me hopes Marr ends up on the Oasis tour just to really piss Mozza off :)Ā 

Ā 

I don't follow Morrissey in any respect so I haven't got clue what's been said historically. Certainly from my mate, old Stephen is a bit acerbic, but by and large,Ā  if there's a photo of him and narrative I generally scroll past it...beyond the legal/royalty case everything related to The Smiths is somewhat of a grey area for me.

Ā 

Even from what I do know, I'd concur working with him would be difficult at best.

Ā 

1 hour ago, tegs07 said:

Personally I donā€™t understand why fans want to see bands that were really important and relevant in their time reforming and creating some pale middle aged interpretation of their youth.

Ā 

Ā 

As musicians and music fans, we just want to cling onto and experience something akin to how we felt back then, be this watching Japan at Dingwalls in 1978/79 or The Heartbreakers at the Roxy.

Ā 

Love or hate Oasis, you know that if they can keep it together it's going to be off the scale and good luck to them.Ā  I'm not a big fan per se (admittedly they do have a decent back catalogue), but I'm quite interested in how it's going to pan out.Ā 

Ā 

I'd rather this reunion than the unending stuff like Kiss, Motley Crue etc.Ā  These bands are well past their sell by date.

Ā 

Ā 

8 minutes ago, NancyJohnson said:

As musicians and music fans, we just want to cling onto and experience something akin to how we felt back then, be this watching Japan at Dingwalls in 1978/79 or The Heartbreakers at the Roxy.

As long as it doesnā€™t turn out like Mike Tyson during his last few appearances then fine. Otherwise itā€™s just sad. Sometimes a legacy should just be left behind.

Just reinforces my negative view of Morrissey and positive view of Marr....

I don't think I could share a tour with a Gammon who doesn't eat gammon either....

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

After the court case, Mike Joyce probably wouldn't share a stage with Morrissey, neither would Johnny Marr, and Andy Rourke is sadly no longer with us.Ā 
Ā 

Which begs the question, how would Morrissey tour as The Smiths?

21 minutes ago, meterman said:

After the court case, Mike Joyce probably wouldn't share a stage with Morrissey, neither would Johnny Marr, and Andy Rourke is sadly no longer with us.Ā 
Ā 

Which begs the question, how would Morrissey tour as The Smiths?

Ā 

He could go out as The Smith, I suppose?

• Haha 2

1 minute ago, upside downer said:

Ā 

He could go out as The Smith, I suppose?

Ooh, that's a bit contentious,Ā A SmithĀ Ā is better and more accurate. By the same measure, the Gallagher boys should be going out asĀ Not Quite 'Sis.

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, ezbass said:

Ooh, that's a bit contentious,Ā A SmithĀ Ā is better and more accurate. By the same measure, the Gallagher boys should be going out asĀ Not Quite 'Sis.

Ā 

Given his gammonness, perhaps "Whitesmith" would be appropriate. And as 40% of Oasis, maybe the Gallaghers could be "OA".