Why become a member? ×

Mike Lull PJ4 - Price Drop £1450
£1500
Teesside TS23

Hi,

After much indecision, ( previously had it up for sale & withdrew it ) i'm looking at moving on my 2014 left handed Mike Lull PJ4.

bought from Bass Direct at the beginning of the year, so i've had it a few months, but i'm now looking to move it on to fund another purchase.

The bass comes complete with it’s Protec gig bag & is fitted with dunlop strap buttons.

Conditions wise it’s in a very good condition for a 10 year old bass, with no chips or dings. The only marks i can see are a few scratches around the bottom horn, i assume from a belt, which were on the bass when i purchased it. 

Only looking to sell in the UK with collection preferable, but can be couriered at the buyers expense / risk. 

I am also willing to meet up within a reasonable distance of the Middlesbrough / Teesside area.

Thanks for looking.

Here are the specs taken from Bass Direct.

•Serial Number: 2464

•Origin: USA

•Year: 2014

•Body Material: Alder

•Colour: Black

•Finish: Gloss

•Neck Finish: Gloss

•Neck Material: Maple

•Fingerboard: Maple

•Inlays: Dots and side dots

•Pickups: Seymour Duncan PJ

•Electronics: Passive

•Controls: Volume, Volume, Tone

•Pickguard: Black

•Hardware: Chrome

•Gig Bag/Case: Protec Mike Lull gig bag

•Accessories: N/A

•Frets: 21

•String Spacing: 19mm

•Nut Width: 44mm

•Scale Length: 34”

•Weight: 8lb10oz/3.9kg

1000010430.jpg

1000010431.jpg

1000010432.jpg

1000010433.jpg

1000010434.jpg

1000010435.jpg

1000010436.jpg

1000010438.jpg

1000010437.jpg

1000010442.jpg

Edited by Graham A
price drop
  • Like 2

• Graham A changed the title to Mike Lull PJ4 - £1500
  • Graham A changed the title to Mike Lull PJ4 - Price Drop £1450
13 minutes ago, chris_b said:

These are fantastic basses.

They are indeed Chris, although you're not helping my indecision 😂 I know if i let it go the chances of seeing another lefty would be extremely slim, if not impossible on the second hand market.

I've read on here that you & @Happy Jack  have your Lull's strung with flatwound strings, i'm wondering if that's the way forward 🤔  

3 minutes ago, Happy Jack said:

What sort of music do you use it for - or at least did you want to use it for?

I play in a general covers three piece, ( singer / guitarist, drummer, bass player ). We cover anything from The Beatles, Squeeze, Elvis Costello to Stereophonics, James, Oasis etc. My mainstay has been a USA Fender Precision. I like the clarity & build of the Lull, & to honest i'm not sure if the audience really care what i'm playing, but i'm wondering if the Precision is a better fit listening through my IEM's on stage, or if just a case of me having to get used to a slightly more forward sound coming through my in ears.

Obviously there's no 'right' answer to this.

I play a Lull with flats (a 4-string 54P) in my rock'n'roll 3-piece; the guitarist knows exactly what he's doing so I don't need to fill in space for him, and the flats sound correct for the style of music.

I used to play a Lull with flats (a 5-string T5) in my covers 3-piece; I've ended up playing a fair amount of "lead bass" - for lack of a better description - so I switched to a Rickenbacker with rounds (a 4003S/5).

Rounds have far more obvious presence in the mix than flats, but IMHO the complexity and warmth of the sound you get from flats on a Lull is unbeatable ... and here we are dancing about architecture again. 🙄

Given how expensive a decent set of flats is, you could do a lot worse than to shout out for someone nearby who will let you play their flatwound-strung bass.

One thing I can tell you for sure: Flats will sound great for anything by The Beatles (and, by extension, Oasis). I'd also be happy to use them for Squeeze, Costello and James. Don't know enough Stereophonics to comment on their music.

3 minutes ago, Happy Jack said:

Obviously there's no 'right' answer to this.

I play a Lull with flats (a 4-string 54P) in my rock'n'roll 3-piece; the guitarist knows exactly what he's doing so I don't need to fill in space for him, and the flats sound correct for the style of music.

I used to play a Lull with flats (a 5-string T5) in my covers 3-piece; I've ended up playing a fair amount of "lead bass" - for lack of a better description - so I switched to a Rickenbacker with rounds (a 4003S/5).

Rounds have far more obvious presence in the mix than flats, but IMHO the complexity and warmth of the sound you get from flats on a Lull is unbeatable ... and here we are dancing about architecture again. 🙄

Given how expensive a decent set of flats is, you could do a lot worse than to shout out for someone nearby who will let you play their flatwound-strung bass.

One thing I can tell you for sure: Flats will sound great for anything by The Beatles (and, by extension, Oasis). I'd also be happy to use them for Squeeze, Costello and James. Don't know enough Stereophonics to comment on their music.

Thanks for you input @Happy Jack, i suppose like everything it's going to come down to personal preference going forward. 

As mentioned by a number of basschatters the build quality of the Lull's are second to none, so it would be criminal for it to sit in it's gig bag in my music room when someone else could get enjoyment from it.

1 hour ago, Graham A said:

They are indeed Chris, although you're not helping my indecision 😂 I know if i let it go the chances of seeing another lefty would be extremely slim, if not impossible on the second hand market.

I've read on here that you & @Happy Jack  have your Lull's strung with flatwound strings, i'm wondering if that's the way forward 🤔  

I've played everything that you and @Happy Jack have listed, and more, and IMO TI flats on my PJ5 just make it shine in every band and in every genre. Jack turned me on to flats and they made my PJ5 sound 100 times better.

I have one regret, I sold a Mike Lull Jazz bass. In 50 years it's the only bass I wish I'd never sold!! You are right, you'll never see another in the classifieds and I believe a new one is around $4.5k.

Try it with flats and see if that works for you.

• Thanks 1