Why become a member? ×

Hofner Violin Bass advice...

W1_Pro

Hello everyone,

I'm thinking of getting a violin bass.

I'm looking at the Ignition, which (I think) is made in China, is hollow and is about £300 odd new.

There is another one that seems to go for about £650. I think that has german Hofner pickups (as opposed to non German ones on the Ignition?), a centre block and a bit of a relic job on the paint. Do any of these things make it worth the extra £300? 

Also, the pickup spacing. Aesthetically I quite like the ones where the pickups are both set towards the neck. My thinking is that you'll never get searing treble out of one of these, so might as well lean into it and go for maximum thump, and they look nice.

Has anyone got any experiences they'd like to share?

Many thanks in advance!

Stuart

The thing that makes the most obvious difference to the playing experience is the presence of the centre-block. Apart from affecting the sound (although not by as much as some claim) it obviously increases the weight of the bass noticeably, and has a marked effect on balance.

If at all possible, try a genuine German-made Hofner in a shop first to get a better understanding of what you're looking for. Then try the hollow-body Chinese made, and only after that the one with the centre-block.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I have one with the centre block. It's lovely. I also have one from 1964, guess what? It's lovely too.

I havent tried the ignition but I've heard a few and they sound great. Different construction from the German ones but probably a good introduction.

I like my'64 because it weighs nothing but not yet gigged with it.

My contempory has La Bella deep talking bass flats on it. Makes a good thump

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, police squad said:

I have one with the centre block. It's lovely. I also have one from 1964, guess what? It's lovely too.

I havent tried the ignition but I've heard a few and they sound great. Different construction from the German ones but probably a good introduction.

I like my'64 because it weighs nothing but not yet gigged with it.

My contempory has La Bella deep talking bass flats on it. Makes a good thump

So does the centre block make any appreciable difference to the sound?

probably, a bit. But it still sounds like a good hoffy. probably has more sustain and is more feedback resistant but I dont play at that kind of volume for that to be any problem. If it was me and I could afford it, I'd go contemporary for the German pickups etc. I'm actually on my 2nd contemporary. My first didnt get much use and had the rubbish roundwounds on it from new. My 2nd went straight to La Bellas and apart from being a touch high tension, they're great. I'll try Pyramids on the '64 when I'm ready to

• Thanks 1

I have had both the Ignition and the Contemporary Caven (both pups in the neck position). You have to add flats to these basses to get the best out of them imo as well.

The Ignition is pretty good value for money and has more of an acoustic sound without the centre block, maybe a little truer sounding to the German made basses.

The Contemporary is a lot better quality in build, has a zero fret and a much nicer paint job, German made pickups. Mine isn't noticeable heavier than the Ignition. I'd say it has a little bit of a tighter sound to it, but still a good thud. Is it worth double the Ignition, not sure! But I sold the Ignition and still have the C.

Buying one used as mentioned before might the way to go.

They are fantastic basses, so easy to play and you have the added bonus of people telling you how great they look.

• Like 2

Good question re. the winding of the pickups.......I suppose you could extrapolate that out to anything...what is the difference between a P bass routed on a CNC machine in China vs. one routed on a CNC machine in the states.....about a grand by the look of it.....

Edited by W1_Pro

Actually, seeing @luckman67's picture, I think I might have had the Ignition violin bass. @Dad3353 might be able to confirm this as he was at our house when it was delivered and he played it too. Decent bass anyway, just a bit ergonomically not right for me. Used it on a couple of records though and nobody's asked for their money back. Yet 💥😂

5 minutes ago, meterman said:

Actually, seeing @luckman67's picture, I think I might have had the Ignition violin bass. @Dad3353 might be able to confirm this as he was at our house when it was delivered and he played it too. Decent bass anyway, just a bit ergonomically not right for me. Used it on a couple of records though and nobody's asked for their money back. Yet 💥😂

Yes, I would confirm 'Ignition', with the centre block. Slightly heavier than the 'full-fat' 500/1 (but still very light indeed...), and with a different tonal characteristic played acoustically, but an excellent bass nevertheless, far more versatile than they are usually given credit for. Not ideal for 'slap', really, but is that a Bad Thing..? :friends:

• Like 3

On 05/09/2024 at 16:31, bremen said:

Honestly it was like being handed a bag of crisps or something. 

Actually, Hofner ought to start making crisps. There was already some crisps called Ringos in the 1970's, they ought to get some more Beatle themed crisps on the market.

• Like 1

On 04/09/2024 at 23:11, Dad3353 said:

Yes, I would confirm 'Ignition', with the centre block. Slightly heavier than the 'full-fat' 500/1 (but still very light indeed...), and with a different tonal characteristic played acoustically, but an excellent bass nevertheless, far more versatile than they are usually given credit for. Not ideal for 'slap', really, but is that a Bad Thing..? :friends:

Agree!  

A demo of it's versatility here - In the hands of a decent player.

• Thanks 1

On 04/09/2024 at 06:53, police squad said:

for me, the ignition pickups are the wrong shape. Also the neck joint is different.

The pickups and control plate on the Ignition models are true to the Japanese made parts fitted to some German 80/90s basses. It makes sense to me that the Japanese tooling would've transferred more readily to the Chinese Hofner factory some time after Japanese production ceased.

20240908_110033.thumb.jpg.4143ad7afd17f5a6fee094607d3ea4a4.jpg

20240908_110132.thumb.jpg.0f115cc86a00cf61a0a43e494cf56156.jpg

Edited by Sparky Mark