Why become a member? ×

Hofner Violin Bass advice...

W1_Pro

1 hour ago, sblueplanet said:

Just a pity they dont use the teacup controls on the modern budget Hofners.

They do on the Ignition SE Bassman. The teacups are quite expensive hence not on the very cheapest models.

https://www.bassdirect.co.uk/product/hofner-ignition-violin-bass-se-bassman-sunburst/

Edited by Sparky Mark
  • Like 1

Not a 500/1, but I've had both the Ignition and HCT versions of the Hofner 500/2 Club bass. The HCT definitely feels, looks and plays like a bass worth twice the price of the Ignition. The tuners are smoother, the neck feels more refined and has binding (and a totally different neck joint), nicer piece of rosewood on the fingerboard, nut, tailpiece and pickguard are all visibly better quality parts, plus you get the German pickups. It's comparably much more of a premium feeling instrument. It's obviously a bit heavier, but still only about 6 lbs.

I started with the Ignition, found it slightly wanting quality wise, so upgraded to the HCT. Haven't regretted that decision at all. I ended up giving away the Ignition to my then 10 year old nephew when he wanted to start playing. For him it made a great starter bass being short scale, very lightweight, and fitted with tapewounds so really easy on his fingers. Almost two years later he's still playing it and loves it. 

*edit - clarification

Edited by RichT
  • Like 4

I've had an Ignition bass for a few years now - I think when I bought mine, the range was called "Icon." They're a lot of fun - as a few other posters have mentioned, they are very light and after decades of playing P basses, it almost felt like a ukulele!  That said, they sound great, especially if you put some flats on them. The Hofner "basic" flats are surprisingly good. It's a shame that teacup knobs seem to have rocketed in price as that used to be an inexpensive mod that got you a little closer to a "real" one. I also removed the writing from the truss rod cover with a bit of Brasso.

They're cool, relatively inexpensive basses that are loads of fun to play and sound great. Full disclosure: I've never played a German 500/1, but until the payment from that Nigerian prince arrives, my budget version will do just fine.

Cavern.thumb.jpg.07a961764c09c8fc49e452233fa9e9fe.jpg

• Like 4

• 2 weeks later...

I eneded up buying a Hofner Contemporary Series. Very nice it is too. I was a little dissapointed to see it come minus the tea cup knobs (it has those funny little black ones) but its a lovely bass and great fun to play. Any suggestions as to a set of flats that won't break the bank? I know, its a big ask these days...😆

Edited by W1_Pro
  • Like 1

Problem is that you need medium scale and they need to have a thin enough leader to go through the tiny tuner post holes so that rules out 90% of flats straight away.

You’re pretty much restricted to the Hofner-specific varieties from the like of Thomastik or LaBella or Pyramid.

Of these, Thomastik are the only ones which don’t feature the “dead” E string sound so they get my vote.

If price is an issue then you’re probably going to be best with Hofner Contemporary flats.  I’ve not tried them but they’re the flats version of what your new HCT is supplied with.

Have fun!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

The Hofner Contemporary flats do feature a very dead E string. Anything between low E to at the least G on 3rd fret is completely indistinguishable to my ears and sounds almost like a bass drum. 

Lots of people swear by the LaBella Hofner sets. I've never tried their flats, but I have tried their white tapewounds which I liked and gave a lot more definition and growl in those low notes. The LaBella tapes are *very* loose and slinky though, I like that but I know many don't. I ended up putting a set of 40-95 gauge Ernie Ball Cobalt flats on my HCT Club. No they don't officially fit it, yes they are on my bass and sound great* 😁

*now I think about it, I had to use a .45 gauge G from an old set, as I couldn't get the .40 anywhere close to intonating correctly. It was likely just a dodgy string because I couldn't get it to intonate on two other bases either. The Hofner looks a bit of a Franken-job with different colour silks now but it sounds exactly like I want it to. 

Edited by RichT
extra info
  • Like 3

I had the Pyramid flats on my Ignition violin bass. It's true that your choice is restricted by the tiny holes in the tuners, which are more like guitar tuners btw. The scale was something like 39 - 95 but they felt fine on the bass. Never used strings as light as that before but they were pretty solid. The E string was fine and the intonation was as good as I'd ever need. If I'd had the extra money at the time (we'd just emigrated and were skint at the time) I'd have bought La Bella flats but they're my favourite for any bass.

• Thanks 1

On 21/09/2024 at 12:40, RichT said:

The Hofner Contemporary flats do feature a very dead E string. Anything between low E to at the least G on 3rd fret is completely indistinguishable to my ears and sounds almost like a bass drum. 

Lots of people swear by the LaBella Hofner sets. I've never tried their flats, but I have tried their white tapewounds which I liked and gave a lot more definition and growl in those low notes. The LaBella tapes are *very* loose and slinky though, I like that but I know many don't. I ended up putting a set of 40-95 gauge Ernie Ball Cobalt flats on my HCT Club. No they don't officially fit it, yes they are on my bass and sound great* 😁

*now I think about it, I had to use a .45 gauge G from an old set, as I couldn't get the .40 anywhere close to intonating correctly. It was likely just a dodgy string because I couldn't get it to intonate on two other bases either. The Hofner looks a bit of a Franken-job with different colour silks now but it sounds exactly like I want it to. 

I second this about the dead E string, deadest I have heard on a set of flats.

On 21/09/2024 at 09:28, W1_Pro said:

I eneded up buying a Hofner Contemporary Series. Very nice it is too. I was a little dissapointed to see it come minus the tea cup knobs (it has those funny little black ones) but its a lovely bass and great fun to play. Any suggestions as to a set of flats that won't break the bank? I know, its a big ask these days...😆

Honestly because of the scale length and the small tuners you are a bit restricted, Labella or TI (the Hofner sets for both) are both very good, the TI's being more articulate and the Labellas being thumper.

When I used a Hofner I started on the Labellas but ended up using Thomastik infield as the lower tension suited me better.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, shoulderpet said:

Honestly because of the scale length and the small tuners you are a bit restricted, Labella or TI (the Hofner sets for both) are both very good, the TI's being more articulate and the Labellas being thumper.

When I used a Hofner I started on the Labellas but ended up using Thomastik infield as the lower tension suited me better.

TI's are the only flats I've ever enjoyed playing. I think it's because they are low tension. 

I have to say I have TI's on an old Birchenbacker that I have (because of the lack of mass at the heel and the tendency of the whole thing to basically fold in half with rounds on it) and they are utterly lovely and such good fun to play. TI's it is, I think.

Edited by W1_Pro

1 hour ago, W1_Pro said:

I have to say I have TI's on an old Birchenbacker that I have (becasue of the lack of mass at the heel and the tendency of the whole thing to basically fold in half with rounds on it) and they are utterly lovely and such good fun to play. TI's it is, I think.

Good choice, a couple of things to note 

1. Make sure your get the Hofner specific set

2. The winding is quite long, it is absolutely normal and not an issue for some of the string to wrap around the tuning post, take your time with fitting the E string and you will be fine.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1