Why become a member? ×

SEPTEMBER Composition Challenge

lurksalot

Congratulations to @Jean-Luc Pickguard on his inaugural outright win after some superb stuff introducing himself to the challenge.

The picture he has chosen for the month's inspiration is as follows and he thus muses...

"On the way back to London after my regular visits to Torbay, I would always see this sign on the A380 a few miles from Exeter marking the completion of the first step of my journey. It often occurred to me that 'Telegraph Hill' sounded like it might make a good topic for a song."

image.png.19af3cd2a3ca05419863e24ec3a0bfc7.png

Simple rules 

✔️ Entries must be <5 minutes and recorded between now and the deadline.

✖️ No illegal samples, copyright infringements or other snide goings-on

✖️ No Bagpipes/panpipes as the truce has well and truly expired 

✖️ No voting for your own entry. We'll know. And we'll shame you..

Deadline-wise, we will go for Midnight on the 24th (effectively tea time on the 25th)

A line or two of blurb as usual for the vote thread will be super smashing. 

Good luck, Have fun 

Edited by lurksalot
  • Like 1

• lurksalot changed the title to SEPTEMBER Composition Challenge
  • lurksalot pinned this topic

The text on the signs doesn't come out as well as I'd hoped when the pic is embedded, but I'll clarify the text of the top three signs, in case anyone wants to base their composition around an idea related to any of those phrases:

• 9% (it's a blummin' steep hill which curves to the left, and can be fun to go down fast as long as there are no lorries about)
  • Low gear now
  • Escape lane ahead

just the signs zoomed-in:

telegraph_hill_sign.jpg.a53ce3f070ac87c4580ce0f7d9dcc29d.jpg

Edited by Jean-Luc Pickguard
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, MoonBassAlpha said:

Oh dear! Bad memories of my last  motor overheating on the way back from Paignton 2 years ago. Luckily the RAC got my going again thanks to a modern version of Radweld or equivalent. 

So it’s the blues then this month I guess 😁

• 2 weeks later...

Here is my contribution to the September 2024 Basschat Composition Challenge, illustrated with a picture chosen by Jean-Luc Pickguard.
I was waiting in the car, listening to a classical music station, when I heard a piece that brought with it visions of this picture.
It's heavily inspired by the Beethoven concerto (Opus 19...) I heard, but using a maximum of elements relating to either Up or Down. The instruments are Philharmonik, with drums by Superior Drummer 3. All in Reaper, of course, with only my usual NY Glue Cockos compressors and a spot of Ozone 8 on the Master track.
Thanks for listening, if you already have; if you're about to, enjoy.

I done one too three!

Not sure what it's got to do with the pic, but this is what came out!

Bass is my Sandberg Basic. Guitars, by Strat. Various keys from Iris instruments and Funky Clav. Drums played using Ableton on board samples. Vox sample found on Loopmasters. Lots of Raum, ObjeqDelay and Dubstation 2, with neutron 3 instruments comp and eq presets, plus mastering using Ozone 9 at -16LUFS...

There are many places called Telegraph Hill. A telegraph hill refers to a natural elevation chosen as part of a semaphore telegraph communication system from the late eighteenth century. In this system, messages were relayed over long distances in stages, from one semaphore station to the next.

In my song, Telegraph Hill serves as a metaphor for the communication between two people, illustrating how their ability to communicate has diminished over time.

If you want to sing along, hit the ‘subtitles/closed captions’ icon on the YouTube player to display the lyrics

Edited by Jean-Luc Pickguard

40 minutes ago, Jean-Luc Pickguard said:

There are many places called Telegraph Hill. A telegraph hill refers to a natural elevation chosen as part of a semaphore telegraph communication system from the late eighteenth century. In this system, messages were relayed over long distances in stages, from one semaphore station to the next.

That’s really interesting, I had no idea. After reading your description it reminded me of the Discworld Clacks, so I looked it up. And indeed, the Clacks was based on the real thing. Every day is a school day!

https://discworld.fandom.com/wiki/Clacks

• Thanks 1

this came together quite quickly, its nothing like I was aiming at , but each bit I did, seemed to fit with the last bit and it just landed in my reaper like this. its a bit of fun 

technically .. EZ does it quite fast , Gordon Smith does it around the bottom , Ibby plinky plonks and yours truly adds the sophistication.