Why become a member? ×

Sire Z7...here goes

BaggyMan

I have owned a number of sires and a number of Musicman products (Stingrays, Ray34, USA subs olp, SUB 4 and 5's, sterling (the model))

The Z7 comes up and i like what i am seeing. Its a potentially best of both worlds buy, but in these days of few and far opportunities to try i'll watch the review and go for the even more musicman like Z3 or the Z7 and just buy one 'blind'  (return policy applies here btw..).  It will be intersting how it sits soundwise next to my Lakland 55-02 (same pickup layout..)

I like the rolled edge necks on the Sires anyway and their general good build quality/QC. 

So, I have decided on the Z7 and its due this week.  It will be interesting to see how having the Sire classic pre amp pre amp will suit the vibe. 

But from the demo's thus far i am confident of it being good for the bass. 

I like the extra fret access but have to admit it took a little getting used to visually.

At this price i think its going to be a great buy and yeah i know Sire residual prices aren't great but the ray3x prices are moving north of a grand these days so at £650 its worth the try i reckon.

I have gone for the Ash/roast maple combo 5 string i'll let you know how its goes..(image courtesy of Andertons from whom i am buying it)

image.thumb.png.316e5f57f5926c68e1e180f5883234b2.png

Edited by BaggyMan
  • Like 2

• BaggyMan changed the title to Sire Z7...here goes

I'm at the stage when I'm wondering if it wasn't a figment of my imagination.  Waiting for the email from Andertons to inform me that the stock ETA has been bumped for the fourth time in just over a month...

Edited by neepheid

As Andertons and thomann are the big players in Europe and buy by the container load I suspect it's a supply chain issue, or customs etc.  The latest date  i have is 'from the 3rd'.  If I see it this week I will be amazed.  No hurry but tweaks the ol impatient muscles a bit

1 hour ago, dannybuoy said:

If/when the fretless models come out, I’m going to have a hard time saying no.

There's fretless models on Andertons but no time scale for when they might arrive.

I have to say I'm not sure I can think of another manufacturer that does fretless versions of , I think, all their models the way Sire does.

Edited by Cato

I think the Z series look great, but I think there's a gap in between the two models... I'm really hoping they bring out a Z5, with the construction of the Z7 but single pickup and passive, in retro colours, Stingray Classic stylee

17 minutes ago, TRBboy said:

I think the Z series look great, but I think there's a gap in between the two models... I'm really hoping they bring out a Z5, with the construction of the Z7 but single pickup and passive, in retro colours, Stingray Classic stylee

It sounds reasonable, but give it time, the Z3 and Z7 have had a complication strewn birth.  It had to be reworked twice, once because the Big Poppa got butthurt about someone having the audacity to use a 3+1 headstock arrangement, and once because Internet moaners made a noise loud enough to be heard about the bottom horn.

Today, I'm waiting for the sowwy/not sorry email from Andertons, despite today being the day of stock ETA.

• Like 1

Luckily this isnt a situation of me waiting by the front door consoling myself  by playing my premium Glary, so i am relaxed...a bit...for now. 

I suspect perhaps Thoman's assessment of likely stock availablility is more realistic than Andertons.  Maybe its a move to secure more pre sales or just over-optimism. 

Either way i assume i'll have it when it's available and its not laying around in a warehouse somewhere.

A while back i was interested in a G & L jazz bass (after being on the hunt for a nice jazz, and  watching 'riot' by Ritchie Kotzen  if you haven't seen it take a look) same thing then Late april became ealry august in the end.  I cancelled the order and went for another J-type.

If it gets to Christmas and still 'in the system' i may be pissed off by then...

Edited by BaggyMan

2 hours ago, BaggyMan said:

Luckily this isnt a situation of me waiting by the front door consoling myself  by playing my premium Glary, so i am relaxed...a bit...for now. 

I suspect perhaps Thoman's assessment of likely stock availablility is more realistic than Andertons.  Maybe its a move to secure more pre sales or just over-optimism. 

Either way i assume i'll have it when it's available and its not laying around in a warehouse somewhere.

A while back i was interested in a G & L jazz bass (after being on the hunt for a nice jazz, and  watching 'riot' by Ritchie Kotzen  if you haven't seen it take a look) same thing then Late april became ealry august in the end.  I cancelled the order and went for another J-type.

If it gets to Christmas and still 'in the system' i may be pissed off by then...

I've been on hold for over a month already and had the date changed on me 3 times.  If it happens on the day of supposed ETA that's a new low in dangling one's customers on the end of a string, and I will be having words.  I'd rather they kept it vague like Thomann instead of this cycle of raising and dashing hopes because they insist upon tieing themselves to specific (and as it turns out, unfeasible) dates.

To be fair to Andertons,  it looks like they are due the first shipment and Thomann will get the next batch. Having worked for a company that made Consumer goods, the first batch is almost always delayed, as the first run really shows up any flaws in the design or production process.

In being fair, I must say that Andertons do not currently have any of my money and  also it is the 3rd September today...

48 minutes ago, Chienmortbb said:

the first run really shows up any flaws in the design or production process.

Very true but probably not what @neepheid wants to hear :(. Let's hope that the date has been put back because Sire have been ironing these flaws at source and not releasing the product until it's right. If that is so, look out for a bunch of B stock down the line at hugely discounted prices. 🤞

Already gone to 'available within 3-5 days'.  Interesting that the model i have ordered is £70 cheaper but not available for 3 months... Looks like if i get it within the next three months i am paying a £70 surcharge for the privilege...

21 minutes ago, BaggyMan said:

Already gone to 'available within 3-5 days'.  Interesting that the model i have ordered is £70 cheaper but not available for 3 months... Looks like if i get it within the next three months i am paying a £70 surcharge for the privilege...

Pricing c*ck-ups on these websites are common.  As long as you order it before they realise their mistake they are normally fulfilled. At least Andertons did with me once

3 minutes ago, Chienmortbb said:

Mint...if you want Mint. Thomann are probably Sire's biggest customer  and I bet the boat went to the nearest EU port before it docked in the UK.

Others are available, it was just an example - some others are showing as "Available at short notice (usually 2-5 days)" which I believe means they have them, but they haven't been checked/inspected yet.

Edited by neepheid
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, neepheid said:

Others are available, it was just an example - some others are showing as "Available at short notice (usually 2-5 days)" which I believe means they have them, but they haven't been checked/inspected yet.

I suspected that as they will all be in one big metal box on the ship. I suspect Andertons' are/were on the same ship so hopefully the wait will soon be over.

• Like 1