Why become a member? ×

Sire Z7...here goes

BaggyMan

On 07/09/2024 at 08:45, spyder said:

What until you are 60 years old, have health issues, a crumbling back due to carrying heavy gear and strapping a 5kg weight into your shoulders every day.

I won't play gigs with anything heavier than 3.5kg and cabs over 10kg...... It's happens to us all in the end...... Old age ☹️

I'm 62 with a totally fsxked ankle among other things... but I get by. I do have a super-lught cab and hybrid amp for 17lbs each though (and a 96lb Trace Elliot combo, but that's on wheels...).

38 minutes ago, drTStingray said:

I like the Sire Stingray Tribute as well - looked and sounded nice on the Andertons feature - pity they haven’t got their stock yet. Nice they’ve gone for the HS version which is not available on SBMM or EBMM variants. 

Any type of infringement of patents, copyright or trademarks is, in my view morally wrong and at worst piracy. I’m glad Sire has corrected this - the ensuing bass is much nicer in my view. 

I might give one a test drive if I’m in the vicinity of Guildford - I see quite a few people using Sire Jazz style basses and they sound good. 

I'll be sure to report how I find the Z7 when I get it.  Damn, after all this hype, I bloody hope I like it!

To be honest I think the 4 in line looks better on the Sire also, but that's not really why I've got a bee in my bonnet anyway.  My ultimate objection is to the fact that EBMM seem to think they "own" 3+1 in any circumstance.  That's a load of anti-competitive balls - imagine if Benz had said "right, our car has 4 wheels, one in each corner, that's ours, you can't have it" - we'd all be driving around in Reliant Robins!  At best they have a trademark on 3+1 tuners in that specific headstock shape, and that's as much leeway as I'm prepared to give them.  In this way, I don't see that Sire did anything wrong in the first place.

But that's just my interpretation of it - as I said, I'm not a lawyer, but I'm certainly nitpicky and "dog with a bone" enough to be one :D.  Happy to accept that you and I are unlikely to ever see eye to eye on this one.  I have enjoyed today's robust but fair debate.

Well, this was nice, but sometimes I feel I must stand up for my beliefs when challenged and occasionally invoke the zealot gene for the benefit of my self esteem, but I have to remember to keep it under wraps most of the time...

• Like 2

On 07/09/2024 at 10:34, Munurmunuh said:

Given Fate's rather cheeky sense of humour, this is quite close to being a request for an educational experience or two.

I think neck dive is maybe only an issue with some playing techniques?

I screwed my back for a month carrying a huge pa cab for my brother's band recently but in 40 years of playing I've never found a bass too heavy to gig.

Perhaps I'm lucky or perhaps it's just how I sit the strap on my shoulder - tight in to my neck.

Hanging on to see your review. I love my first bass and am ready to buy my second and a z7 looks ideal. I’d love an EB but they are comically expensive. 
I actually prefer the Sire headstock to the EB one, I always thought the EB one looks a bit ungainly. 
I can’t decide between a mint or white one. 4 string for sure. 

24 minutes ago, neepheid said:

A little birdie has told me that their Sire shipment has escaped the clutches of HMRC and is in their possession now, being checked over...

That's awesome for you, but awful for me after I cancelled my order in favour of one in-stock with Thomann... mines currently in the middle of its journey to the border according to Thomann tracking 😖.

Fingers crossed for you that Andertons manage to over-deliver after weeks of over-promising!

7 minutes ago, thisisswanbon said:

That's awesome for you, but awful for me after I cancelled my order in favour of one in-stock with Thomann... mines currently in the middle of its journey to the border according to Thomann tracking 😖.

Fingers crossed for you that Andertons manage to over-deliver after weeks of over-promising!

The DHL black hole of radio silence - been there before, I feel your pain.

The race is on - Andertons QC then DPD vs. DHL - GO!

• Haha 1

Ok,folks,  even though i am thoroughly pumped for the arrival ...whenever that is,  of my Z7 i potentially may well add two mods (not anytime yet...) but both reversable but stay with me...

1. parallel series/single switching on the humbucker

Could well open an interesting option tonally. Depend if its a 4 wires or 2 wires pickup.

2.  I have a spare neck position nordstrand big blade pickup.  Hmmm might try a comparison

Modding is a divisive thing for some (leave it as stock they know what they are doing etc etc) but I have found that many Mman at the bridge basses in the past have a plumped for a series..or paralell option. but i find the Lakland 55-02 i have, has series/parallel single switching and is very handy.

Edited by BaggyMan
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, BaggyMan said:

Ok,folks,  even though i am thoroughly pumped for the arrival ...whenever that is,  of my Z7 i potentially may well add two mods (not anytime yet...) but both reversable but stay with me...

Could well open an interesting option tonally. Depend if its a 4 wires or 2 wires pickup.

2.  I have a spare neck position nordstrand big blade pickup.  Hmmm might try a comparison

Modding is a divisive thing for some (leave it as stock they know what they are doing etc etc) but I have found that many Mman at the bridge basses in the past have a plumped for a series..or paralell option. but i find the Lakland 55-02 i have, has series/parallel single switching and is very handy.

It will be your bass, so it's no-one else's business what you do with it.  I particularly enjoy reversible, elegant mods.  Also, it's a Sire, it has no legendary status, so there won't be any knock on effect to the resale value of the bass if you mod it for series/parallel/single, for instance.  As usual, if changing pickups, keep the stock ones and pop them back in if you ever need to sell the bass - I'm guessing you don't need me to tell you that you'll never get your money back on pickup changes, but got to keep banging that drum for those who maybe haven't considered that aspect of it.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, neepheid said:

It will be your bass, so it's no-one else's business what you do with it.  I particularly enjoy reversible, elegant mods.  Also, it's a Sire, it has no legendary status, so there won't be any knock on effect to the resale value of the bass if you mod it for series/parallel/single, for instance.  As usual, if changing pickups, keep the stock ones and pop them back in if you ever need to sell the bass - I'm guessing you don't need me to tell you that you'll never get your money back on pickup changes, but got to keep banging that drum for those who maybe haven't considered that aspect of it.

I have owned a few Sires over the years (early adopter in fact had one of the first batch of thomann swamp ash V7's series 1, 11lb of pure boat achor though..)  In some ways i personalise them as time goes by based on playability , bridges and sometime pickups or knobs etc.    If neck dive is an issue, machine heads is an easy fix (had a V3 with that)  Have seen a few more extreme mods (Mman at the bridge on a V7 for example.) but digging holes in a bass is a risky venture.   All in all if done well a mod can ehance the playing experience (v3 cheap machines being a big one).  With the Z7 i am hoping not to have to deal with neck dive.   Back to back comparison with the Nordy might be fun.  My original V7 series 1 had a Nordstrand pickup upgrade and that took the bass to a whole new level, shame i just couldnt handle the weight of the beast.

Edited by BaggyMan

1 hour ago, BaggyMan said:

The series/parallel option can be cool, but eevrytime I've had it I end up favouring one configuration and just stuck with that.

The Ray35 has a series/series+HFfilter/parallel switch and very rarely I use it in anything other than parallel, in this case. One cool thing it has is that they put a resistor that tames the output a bit when in series, which means there is no noticeable change in levels between the 3 options. If I do again any parallel/series mod I will incorporate that as well.

I had a 55-02 for a while, and I actually found I was using the switch more in that bass. I wonder if the fact that the pickup is closer to the bridge than on a Stingray plays some part on that.

1 minute ago, mcnach said:

The series/parallel option can be cool, but eevrytime I've had it I end up favouring one configuration and just stuck with that.

The Ray35 has a series/series+HFfilter/parallel switch and very rarely I use it in anything other than parallel, in this case. One cool thing it has is that they put a resistor that tames the output a bit when in series, which means there is no noticeable change in levels between the 3 options. If I do again any parallel/series mod I will incorporate that as well.

I had a 55-02 for a while, and I actually found I was using the switch more in that bass. I wonder if the fact that the pickup is closer to the bridge than on a Stingray plays some part on that.

Good point i'll do a back to back comparison when the Sire arrives.

• Thanks 1

21 hours ago, BaggyMan said:

My original V7 series 1 had a Nordstrand pickup upgrade and that took the bass to a whole new level, shame i just couldnt handle the weight of the beast.

That's exactly what I did, was my main gigging bass for years until I fractured my left collarbone and could no longer do standing gigs with the 11.6lb Sire. Great platform for modding though, just takes them that little bit further.

1 hour ago, neepheid said:

HA HA HA, now it's out for delivery.  Teleportation!

Same here :)

I checked this morning and it said it hadn't been scanned yet... but a few minutes ago I checked again and they had updated everything... expected delivery between 3-4pm... :)

• Like 2

2 hours ago, neepheid said:

HERE01sirez7arrived.thumb.jpg.ae531f704efc5a277be8fd493b2c452c.jpg

Nice!!! 😍 I hesitated between this finish and the natural. I think this is the better looking one but I really wanted the maple fingerboard...

Mine (5-string: Z7-5) arrived about 30 min ago... I haven't plugged it in yet because I have quite a bit of work to do still and I know what would happen ;) 

But I'm very impressed. I had experienced Sire's rolled edges before, but I had forgotten just how nice that is. As I suspected from looking at the pickup and the polepieces, the string spacing at the bridge is 17.5mm, just like a Stingray5, which is perfect. The Z3-5 looks like it'll be a 16mm one but I haven't seen conformation yet. The neck is soooooo nice. 

And it weighs exactly 9.0 lbs, which for a 5-string is pretty good. I'll take a couple of photographs later... now I need to focus and finish work! 

• Like 5