Why become a member? ×

Sire Z7...here goes

BaggyMan

2 hours ago, Ander87 said:

So the caps are metallic but the stacked ones seat on a piece of plastic around the shaft that easily makes mine wobble…

IMG_9357.thumb.jpeg.421649dd408040301cd65af069fe2cfa.jpegIMG_9358.thumb.jpeg.cf61fe6cff96b7242c9745a05eaad9ff.jpeg

erm... interesting! I see what you mean now, thank you for the picture :)

Let's see how long mine last. They're solid in mine. A couple of knobs weren't tight enough when I received it but after tightening them, they knobs all feel solid, no wobble. 

To me, these basses are worth the price for the neck alone. :)

Edited by mcnach

6 hours ago, mcnach said:

To me, these basses are worth the price for the neck alone

oh absolutely! They’re immense. The neck is glorious and they sound very good etc. smooth tuners which seems to be a concern for some Sires etc I genuinely love the bass…!

My only issue after the faulty battery thing is the knobs. With that internal plastic cap, if you don’t align them properly or if they’re not set flat how they should they have this ‘screw’ effect that wobbles as you rotate and really annoys me lol 

will report on the fresh unit this morning when I do the swap…

Edit. Definitely spoke too early… again 🙄 

image.thumb.png.ed436e09856eef22c39b98767ad4e035.png

Edited by Ander87

21 hours ago, Minininjarob said:

I wouldn’t accept an instrument with battery acid leaked all over to be honest, that’s terrible. I would want a new battery compartment on that at the very least. 
I think I’ll wait a while until these issues are sorted. 

This. I'm tolerant of easily sorted issues, but once corroded battery contacts will always be unreliable, and unreliable ang gigging don't mix.

Just now, Stub Mandrel said:

The Sire preamp or an accurate clone is available on aliexpress for ~$20.

I haven’t had a chance to try it out on a real bass amp and good volumes, but the neck is so lush that I’d upgrade the electronics if I had to, in due course. 

So far I do feel like it’ll definitely do the job 95% of the times and maybe upgrading for that extra 5% is silly but aren’t we all 🤣

Ander. 

5 minutes ago, lemmywinks said:

I've seen those, they look a lot like the Sire ones.

Have you tried one?

No but apparently someone traced out the circuit and it's identical.

Someone else pointed out that all the investment goes into the design,  the parts are cheap.

• Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, Stub Mandrel said:

No but apparently someone traced out the circuit and it's identical.

Someone else pointed out that all the investment goes into the design,  the parts are cheap.

Yup, same is true for pretty much all circuits, makes design theft all the more painful.

• Like 1

Currently have a Z7 5 string natural from Thomann and Z7 Mint from Andertons on order.

Let's see who gets here first and is the better of the 2 !

Seeing a lot of mixed things I won't lie !  

• Like 1

On 11/10/2024 at 07:45, Ander87 said:

oh absolutely! They’re immense. The neck is glorious and they sound very good etc. smooth tuners which seems to be a concern for some Sires etc I genuinely love the bass…!

My only issue after the faulty battery thing is the knobs. With that internal plastic cap, if you don’t align them properly or if they’re not set flat how they should they have this ‘screw’ effect that wobbles as you rotate and really annoys me lol 

will report on the fresh unit this morning when I do the swap…

Edit. Definitely spoke too early… again 🙄 

image.thumb.png.ed436e09856eef22c39b98767ad4e035.png

Agh, the wait, the wait... I feel your pain.

I hope the replacement is in much better condition! 

• Like 1

Okay, now YES.

The bass should have been exchanged on Friday but of course it didn't happen - delay on DPD or Andertons, I don't know anymore.

Either way, I've just taken delivery of the new unit and swap.

HAPPY. This bass is what it's meant to be, and coming in at 4.15kg. Well adjusted right out of the box and loving it. Will still swap the knobs mind you (that shaft cover in plastic where the aluminium knob seats is a kinda whacky design I feel).

Interestingly, this box did come with a stamp and a card for the checks done - kinda generic but all works:

image.thumb.png.35d356b69fcd1e6bb35c216a44f06ea1.png

I'm removing the cling film protectors, I'm keeping this!

Ander.

• Like 7

On 12/10/2024 at 00:52, drTStingray said:

Folks - out of curiosity, do these basses have 2 x 9v batteries (ie an 18 volt circuit)? If so the circuit will need to reflect that. 

Oh I missed this! yep, 2x 9v batteries for the basses.

On 14/10/2024 at 14:08, Ander87 said:

Okay, now YES.

The bass should have been exchanged on Friday but of course it didn't happen - delay on DPD or Andertons, I don't know anymore.

Either way, I've just taken delivery of the new unit and swap.

HAPPY. This bass is what it's meant to be, and coming in at 4.15kg. Well adjusted right out of the box and loving it. Will still swap the knobs mind you (that shaft cover in plastic where the aluminium knob seats is a kinda whacky design I feel).

Interestingly, this box did come with a stamp and a card for the checks done - kinda generic but all works:

image.thumb.png.35d356b69fcd1e6bb35c216a44f06ea1.png

I'm removing the cling film protectors, I'm keeping this!

Ander.

This is really good to know man ! 

I have the same colour coming from Andertons so will deffo be checking for this ! 

• Like 1

Just now, feech said:

This is really good to know man ! 

I have the same colour coming from Andertons so will deffo be checking for this ! 

I hope you like it and that they send you a solid unit mate! Very nice bass indeed. I’ll keep it on rounds, will use flats on the V5 champagne gold I’ve got coming 🤓 

I do like the tuners a lot, super smooth for that budget - also the preamp is very responsive and the jazz pickup adds a very nice depth to it, so far I’ve kept the blend in the middle, or 60/40 neck/bridge and loving it with a bit of treble/low-mids/bass boost

Ander. 

1 minute ago, Ander87 said:

I hope you like it and that they send you a solid unit mate! Very nice bass indeed. I’ll keep it on rounds, will use flats on the V5 champagne gold I’ve got coming 🤓 

I do like the tuners a lot, super smooth for that budget - also the preamp is very responsive and the jazz pickup adds a very nice depth to it, so far I’ve kept the blend in the middle, or 60/40 neck/bridge and loving it with a bit of treble/low-mids/bass boost

Ander. 

Yeah I'll be sure to post in here when it comes fingers crossed no delays ! 

How did the audition go tho 👀 ?

• Like 1

Just now, feech said:

How did the audition go tho 👀 ?

Haha! I showed interest last out of 10 but seems I’m taking the role home 🤓🤓

I’m studying the set for a rehearsal in a couple weeks to assess if I’m good for the 6 November dates. They do have a temporary cover but it’d be nice to do those before end of the year and their 2025 plans with new album etc!

thanks for asking buddy 😊 

• Like 1

On 16/10/2024 at 14:37, Ander87 said:

Haha! I showed interest last out of 10 but seems I’m taking the role home 🤓🤓

I’m studying the set for a rehearsal in a couple weeks to assess if I’m good for the 6 November dates. They do have a temporary cover but it’d be nice to do those before end of the year and their 2025 plans with new album etc!

thanks for asking buddy 😊 

Congrats mate well done ! 

Hope the z7 works some magic for me too 😎

The first from Andertons has turned up today and someone else signed for it, DHL coming in on the clutch move here. I'll have to get it back home and see if there is any damage to the bass itself 😥

Fingers crossed it's packed well enough to have taken the hitIMG-20241017-WA0001.thumb.jpg.13b4a26886711662d0b88aaf4b9abb92.jpg

• Sad 3

6 minutes ago, feech said:

Congrats mate well done ! 

Hope the z7 works some magic for me too 😎

The first from Andertons has turned up today and someone else signed for it, DHL coming in on the clutch move here. I'll have to get it back home and see if there is any damage to the bass itself 😥

Fingers crossed it's packed well enough to have taken the hit

Haha cheers! Fingers crossed for your bass too🤞 jesus I can't believe DHL sometimes!

Also, NBD tomoz from Thomann on the V5 champagne... My Z7 needed a flatwound passive partner no?... no? 😁 

Ander.

1 hour ago, Ander87 said:

Haha cheers! Fingers crossed for your bass too🤞 jesus I can't believe DHL sometimes!

Also, NBD tomoz from Thomann on the V5 champagne... My Z7 needed a flatwound passive partner no?... no? 😁 

Ander.

Absolutely mate any excuse 😎

• Haha 1

Anyone else with the z7 or other sire... The knobs arrived with this gap on one of the stacks and the other one so close they move together, the Allen key didn't seem to help with any adjustment here... 

Is this faulty or am I being dumb ? 

PXL_20241017_162516084.jpg

8 minutes ago, feech said:

Anyone else with the z7 or other sire... The knobs arrived with this gap on one of the stacks and the other one so close they move together, the Allen key didn't seem to help with any adjustment here... 

Is this faulty or am I being dumb ? 

PXL_20241017_162516084.jpg

Alright yeah ignore that I was being dumb it just needed a nice old push to get It into place, but damn they feel flimsy as hell... 

• Like 1