Why become a member? ×

Overdrive pedal noise

Peloquin

I'm sorry if this is in the wrong place, feel free to move it...

I went to the Cheshire guitar show on Sunday and on a whim I bought an overdrive pedal for my bass.

Now if I plug any of my cables direct from amp to bass it's fine,  if I plug the pedal in line I'm getting a quiet but very noticeable high pitched noise while the pedal is off. 

If I hit the pedal the noise changes and gets a fair bit louder... any ideas how to stop it? 

I'm very untechnical so words of 1-2 syllables and possibly pics would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance. 

Edited by Peloquin

8 hours ago, Bigguy2017 said:

Power supply - plug it into an isolated supply or use a separate supply

So over plugged it into a socket on the other side of the room and while it's definitely quieter it's still there. 

If it's something to do with the power supply,  could it be the actual plug?  I got it for about £10 off amazon. 

4 hours ago, Peloquin said:

So over plugged it into a socket on the other side of the room and while it's definitely quieter it's still there. 

If it's something to do with the power supply,  could it be the actual plug?  I got it for about £10 off amazon. 

Can the pedal take a battery?  If so, try powering it with battery and see if the noise goes away.

Cheap power supplies can be noisy.

• Like 1

+1. I've got my pedals daisy-chained to a simple Visual Sound 1-Spot (I think they were forced to rename their company to Truetone these days) and while it works for most of my pedals, some don't like to be connected to a common ground or to a switching power supply. I have yet to invest in a good power supply with isolated outputs. 

What pedal is it? Some are much better than others for this sort of thing.

Still likely to be a power supply issue though. A good power supply with isolated outputs is a great investment. They can be expensive, but it's also something you usually only need to buy once.

Unless you are a bit of a pedal junkie and you have 3 different boards assembled all the time.... ahem.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Sorry to be a pain with questions but what power supply would people suggest? (Link?) 

I don't want to spend a lot as all I'm doing is messing about learning in the house. 

Thank you all again. 

Edited by Peloquin

24 minutes ago, Peloquin said:

Sorry to be a pain with questions but what power supply would people suggest? (Link?) 

I don't want to spend a lot as all I'm doing is messing about learning in the house. 

Thank you all again. 

I wouldn't bother with a power supply in that case - just use a battery when you use it. Be careful to unplug your lead from the pedal input when it's not being used otherwise the battery will drain.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

I genuinely could not recommend getting a good power supply enough. Couple of recommendations from me would be 

Truetone CS6.

Has a proper kettle lead power input

Comes with loads of cables 

Fits under a pedaltrain nano

Has blue LEDs so your pedalboard will look like a 00s boy racer hatchback with neon lights

Cioks DC7

Not cheap but about as good a supply as you can get.

Powers my quad cortex, expression pedal and overdrive pedal and the noise is minimal. 

• Thanks 1