Why become a member? ×

For 70’s Yes Fans

BlueMoon

I have just had the chance to listen to Jon Anderson’s new release - “True”.

It’s very nostalgic - like listening to a new Yes album from the 1970’s, for those who like that sort of sound.

Impressive Squire-like Rickenbacker playing and backing vocals by Richie Castellano. I have to confess that I had never heard of him before or “The Band Geeks”, who comprise the backing band on the album.

If you get the chance, give it a listen.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

21 minutes ago, BlueMoon said:

Probably chosen by a marketing committee rather than musicians.

Given the music, any knowledgable marketing company would have gone for something by Roger Dean. This resembles the sort of crap the covers band I used to be in would think was a good idea for a gig poster.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

39 minutes ago, wateroftyne said:

I highly doubt any marketing committee are this inept. This screams 'Homemade by Jon's daughter'... which it is.

I like the 90s hip hop style font.

Guess album covers not such a big deal in the streaming age.

That is as bad an album cover as I've ever seen.

The Roger Dean covers are part of the Yes product.

Their 80s computer graphics ones worked.

David Fairbrother-Roe's cover art on Olias was in keeping with the image.

• Like 1

I heard the single (or whatever it was) online a few weeks ago and I agree with @BlueMoon in that it sounded much like the Yes I first discovered and quickly grew to like a lot. I've seen a few of the YT videos of the live shows and they're sounding good too. I discovered the Band Geeks during lockdown and loved what they were doing, not just with Yes covers but with other bands too. I'll definitely be getting hold of this recording.

Fortunately, I don't have to listen to the cover so it doesn't bother me, but I agree I think they could have done better. At the very least, including an image of the Band Geeks.

17 hours ago, toneknob said:

here's one!

It's a while since I last heard that. IMO that's stretching the definition of "cover" to its very limits with only the words and some of the vocal melody bearing any relation to the original. And the instrumental bits sound like they've been shoe-horned in between the singing. I know it's prog-rock and supposed to be clever and difficult and complicated, but even so...