Why become a member? ×

Joining your first band

You're ready already! Just need to find the right people and the right music.

Bass is definitely a social instrument that works best  playing with others.

Luckily, one of my best friends is a drummer, so just doing boozy rhythm section practice/jam sessions was my starting point. Then I joined a 3 piece that just did practice stuff, then onto bands that were a bit more serious and played live, now I also do some Dep stuff so can have very little practice time before playing live.  I'm yet to play anything bigger than pubs and small festivals though so there's still hopefully a progression. The gradual progression seemed a good way of doing it. 

• Like 6

"I am a million years away from it" No, you're not, you just think you're not ready. Best to try and get together with 1 or more people and play a couple of songs you've had chance to practice beforehand. You may shock yourself and it works first time.....if not it just gives you areas to brush upon. It is a big step to go from playing in your living room to playing with others but the sooner you do the quicker you will learn and progress.

"one of my objectives for playing bass is joining a band." Great that you've got something to work towards, it gives purpose.

"How did you know when you were ready to join your first band?" You don't really! You'll probably think your never ready because there some 6yr old on Youtube playing Jaco. 🤣 Forget that and just go for it. Good luck 👍

• Like 4

I think traditionally the friend who couldn't play any instrument was given a bass and told where to put their fingers... certainly I have been in at least two bands (mainly when I was much younger) where random friends got roped into playing bass. Mind you I wouldn't go auditioning for a band with this skill level - but it works if you have friends who want to form a band!

• Like 1

I think the answer to your question is 'I just knew' which doesn't really help but I don't recall an actual moment when I decided I could be in a band.

Once I'd learnt the basics of my instrument (I was playing guitar at the time and had been for about 18 months) I started off with a couple of mates who were better than me, and we jammed regularly. Once that seemed to be working we talked about forming a band but for about 6 months all we really did was play a few simple covers over and over, plus we started writing our own songs. That 6 month apprenticeship taught me to play with other musicians and once I'd got some decent gear and built up my confidence it just seemed obvious that I was ready. I think if I'd been planning on joining a band it might have taken longer and there probably would have been a few rejections along the way. And when I was starting out, there were no open mic nights to let me test my abilities.

As has been said above (while I was writing this) just go for it! If you can play along to songs you like, you're ready to start being in a band. Find people who are a little better than you and jam with them. Have a look to see if there are any local open mic nights where you can join in, build your confidence and make contacts. In my first bass gig, I only played root notes to simple songs and I hid behind the PA speaker for most of the night. 😀 

Just do it, good luck and keep us up to date with your progress.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, SimonK said:

I think traditionally the friend who couldn't play any instrument was given a bass and told where to put their fingers

Before I played anything at all, I was that friend. I played the repeated bass note to Queen's 'Flash' after having been directed to the correct fret by the guitarist. 😀

• Like 2

I’d been playing since 1980 but only had cheap gear. I’d been kidding myself that I was in a band with my mates but in reality I wasn’t. At the start of 1987 something - not sure what - clicked and I thought I’ve got to take this more seriously, get myself a good bass, do this properly. And within about a month I was in my first real band. Maybe it was the realisation that I was never going to do anything with my mates and that if I really wanted to do music I had to reach further afield but I just took the next step.

• Like 1

I joined my first band before I'd owned or played an instrument (and no, I don't mean I was the singer!) - my honest advice would be to get together with some friends and just have a jam, and at that point you'll know what you're looking at a bit more clearly.  One thing's for certain - playing with other people will bring you on in leaps and bounds.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Bass Novice said:

I am a million years away from it, but one of my objectives for playing bass is joining a band.

How did you know when you were ready to join your first band?

It was when some lads I knew who had already been in a few local bands knocked the door. They had heard I was learning and that I possessed a bass and an amp.

"We've got a gig in a fortnight and need a bass player...want to do it?"

"Yes. Cool. Great. Thanks!"

Being bowled over with excitement while all also shi..ing your pants is a very unique feeling 😆

We practiced everyday and it went surprisingly well! They were pretty good musicians which helped, and they could draw a crowd. The club was packed.

I hadn't even played with anyone else other than a mate in his bedroom a couple of times. I'd been teaching myself by playing along to records for about 18 months and no way thought I was good enough to even think about joining a band.

Luckily I was thrown into it. Played out with them for 2 years. Learned a lot.

The joys of growing up in a small Welsh town.

If you can make it through a song you're ready to play with a band. That's where you really learn. Just by doing it.

• Like 3

Think about the kind of band / songs you would like to play 

Write out a list of 20 popular typical pub gig songs and play along to them at home even if it’s close until you feel you have a group of songs you could jam to. 
Practice playing standing up ( a must ) and soon you will be good enough to look for a starter band and then go for it !

Self belief is important and mostly make sure you enjoy what you do 

Band bassists doesn’t = best bassist !

It means they can play good enough with others !  

• Like 3

Yeah, best not to overthink it and just dive in. Stick an ad up somewhere explaining your situation and hopefully you get a bite. 

I think I was lucky because my brother wanted to play guitar and said he'd need a bassist, so I should learn. We got our instruments about the same time and were playing together almost straight away. He roped in a drummer that he knew from school and it got me hooked. Played my first gig at 15, 2 years after I started playing.

I learned to play classical guitar as a kid. Then the school decided to do the musical Grease and needed a bass player. I was the closest they could find even though I couldn't read bass clef! However, as I did know where the notes were on the neck I wrote them out over the music - needs must!

Edited by SimonK
  • Like 1

If you can find a drummer with a similar playing level to yourself (or better) that would be a good start.  I answered a Gumtree ad from a drummer looking for a bassist and we ended up playing together for a few months.  Then we advertised for a singer and guitarist and eventually our first band started.

Fascinating to see how many people are advising the OP to more-or-less just jump right in.

Hmmmmmmmmm.

My advice would be to find a local guitarist who's in the same sort of situation, and jam along with him for weeks, maybe months. Playing live with even a single real musician is MASSIVELY different from playing along to your favourite CDs.

Once you can cope with playing live (for a given value of "live") start attending your local blues jam, see how you feel about getting up in front of an audience. That's pretty different too.

After playing at half a dozen proper jam sessions you'll have no need to ask when you're ready to start looking for a band.

Good luck.

• Like 3

To the OP do you want to play covers or songs you've written yourself?

If you want to do covers go and see some local covers bands and you'll quickly get an idea of which songs you need to know and then you can go away and practice them.

If you want to play originals then put out some ads and jump in. IME enthusiasm always trumps ability in the early days of playing originals.

Overall I have found the following:

1. You are rarely as bad at playing as you think. Even after 50 years of being in bands my playing ability is probably still well below average, but I've never had any problem finding bands and musicians to play with.

2. The quickest way to improve is to join a band. Playing with other musicians does wonders for your ability especially if they are of a slightly higher standard than you.

3. If you can bring something on top of being a bass player to the band that always improves your chances. Backing vocals are always and asset. Also van ownership or having somewhere for the band to rehearse, or being a decent graphic designer.

HTH

• Like 2

I love the sound of the bass on its own (which makes it great when practising), but the feeling of playing bass in a band or with others is the best feeling even if you’re just locked into playing root notes with the bass drum, that feeling of locking in with a drummer is like a drug I can’t get enough of. 

I’d say get out and play with others ASAP, especially a drummer if you can. Life is short, grab it by the balls. Jump in and go for it, it’ll make you a much better player in a much shorter time. Plus you get to share the love of music with others into the same thing which is another bonus 😊

Edited by Bassybert
  • Like 4

The first proper band I joined once had a bassist who had the notes written on the neck. He'd ask what key a song was in and just play that single note all the way through. I think you will be ready. 

Playing with other people is the quickest way to improve IMO. Jam nights, auditions, joining a band, playing along with friends... It will build your confidence and teach you a few tricks like being able to pick up what chord a guitarist is playing just by looking at his or her hands and knowing when verses etc are ending by the way the drummer changes the feel. All stuff you can't do with an MP3 at home. 

Just go for it!

• Like 1

Just echoing what others have said already, joining a band will improve your level of playing and enjoyment of playing bass. What BigRedX says is valid, a band forming (or already formed) to play original music is well worth considering, although starting off in a covers band may well be an easier starting point as you have bass lines to copy and learn. Don't start with a Yes tribute 🙂 keep it simple and try not to obsess over learning bass lines note for note all the time, add a bit of your own style to it, make it easier to play if necessary. Likely no one will notice in reality. 

Take a look at sites such as Join My Band, I found my current bands through that site; there are people out there at all levels looking for bands who are just like you. Jump in have a go and most importantly have fun. 

Cheers, Darren.

When I joined my first band non of us had the faintest idea of how to play our respective instruments, and never had single lesson, not even from a book.

Best way to learn how to play your instrument is playing in a band.

You don't learn how to play with other people from sitting alone at home and playing with yourself. 

Find the right band for you and join it!

Edited by Baloney Balderdash
  • Like 4

Remember it's far more important to keep the timing tight than to play every note in the original song. To start with, keep it simple but tight with the drummer. Consider leaving out fills etc while you work on learning to follow the drums.

Playing in a band isn't for everyone, it wasn't for me. You need to be totally committed. You can't skip practice to do something else and you have to make yourself available for gigs. Everyone in the band relies on everyone else being there.

Get some decent earplugs, you'll spend a lot of time very close to a drum kit and something to take the edge off will make it much more comfortable. 

Final tip. Forget about YOUR tone. You need a tone which cuts through the mix and compliments it. My bass tone with a metal band was really horrible in isolation but what you'd hear with the guitar sounded perfect. 

3 minutes ago, SteveXFR said:

Playing in a band isn't for everyone, it wasn't for me. You need to be totally committed. You can't skip practice to do something else and you have to make yourself available for gigs. Everyone in the band relies on everyone else being there.

For me the whole point of being bass player is to be in a band, and I accept all the commitments that go with that.

If I just wanted to play at home I'd be focusing my attention on playing the guitar or keyboards.

2 hours ago, BigRedX said:

For me the whole point of being bass player is to be in a band, and I accept all the commitments that go with that.

If I just wanted to play at home I'd be focusing my attention on playing the guitar or keyboards.

I'm very similar - my basses pretty much never leave their cases at home unless I am testing something or working out a bass line. For me bass is entirely about playing in a band situation. Conversly I'm quite happy to play guitar alone at home.

Of course the social context of bands can be quite interesting and is another thing to work out if you want to be involved... I've lost count of the number of singers I've upset over the years (they are a species who are particularly unstable)!