Why become a member? ×

Joining your first band

5 hours ago, BigRedX said:

For me the whole point of being bass player is to be in a band, and I accept all the commitments that go with that.

If I just wanted to play at home I'd be focusing my attention on playing the guitar or keyboards.

Yeah, I've given up playing for now. I found being in a band stressful and then after that I got bored playing at home.

As much as I love playing bass with my bands I’m equally happy playing along to my fave songs on YouTube at home. I just love playing bass. I pick up my guitars every now & then (especially the acoustic if I feel like singing) but I get more enjoyment from the bass/fave songs/YouTube thing.

• Like 1

On 03/09/2024 at 18:01, Bass Novice said:

I am a million years away from it, but one of my objectives for playing bass is joining a band.

How did you know when you were ready to join your first band?

When you can play one song all the way through. For me that was Gimme Some Lovin by Spencer Davis but there are plenty of really simple songs with straightforward rhythms and just a few notes.

I was lucky that a few friends wanted a bass player for their hobby band and roped me in. I practiced my one song like mad and was as nervous as a kitten but the first time we got through the song it was an out of body experience. The sound of the bass thundering out behind me and realising it was genuinely me making it was just so exciting I was hooked.

If you aren't so lucky then start haunting the open mic nights and talk to the host. You can just do one song and join in with someone else and most hosts are happy to guide beginners through their first few songs.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, Lozz196 said:

As much as I love playing bass with my bands I’m equally happy playing along to my fave songs on YouTube at home. I just love playing bass. I pick up my guitars every now & then (especially the acoustic if I feel like singing) but I get more enjoyment from the bass/fave songs/YouTube thing.

When I was learning songs for the dad-rock covers band I found playing along to recordings of the songs I was learning made me over-confident. Unless you are lucky enough to be able to find versions with the bass guitar part removed, having the recorded bass there acts as a mental crutch, and there can be a tendency to fudge hard to play or difficult to work out sections because the recorded bass is there to back you up. As soon as you have to play them in a band without the original bass being there it becomes very obvious that you have skimped in places.

If I wasn't playing in bands the only time I would pick up one of my basses would be if I was going to use it on a recording I was making.

11 hours ago, Lozz196 said:

As much as I love playing bass with my bands I’m equally happy playing along to my fave songs on YouTube at home.

I am equally happy playing along with not my favourite songs. I tend to listen to songs on something that has a random mix and then just play whatever comes along in the shuffle, quite often songs you don't really know or wouldn't listen to, I do like the enjoyment of working it out on the fly and some songs really give you different ideas on playing.

Or sometimes just doing whole other basslines than are already there.

• Like 2

On 03/09/2024 at 13:01, Bass Novice said:

I am a million years away from it, but one of my objectives for playing bass is joining a band.

My bass teacher told me. As I was typing this, I realized that doesn't happen as much as when I picked up the bass. The one-on-one, unless you skype lessons.

The point I might make, I was introduced to a guitarist WAY over my head and I was trying to read down Real Book songs, and learned tempo and swing and groove REAL FAST.

The next band he "recommended" me for was a pop disco cover band. Taught me what I WOULDN'T do on stage.                                                                                                                                    Audition for a band. Audition for as many bands as you want. 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, BigRedX said:

Unless you are lucky enough to be able to find versions with the bass guitar part removed, having the recorded bass there acts as a mental crutch,

On the other hand, set yourself the challenge of making the original bassline 'disappear'.

11 hours ago, Woodinblack said:

I am equally happy playing along with not my favourite songs. I tend to listen to songs on something that has a random mix and then just play whatever comes along in the shuffle, quite often songs you don't really know or wouldn't listen to, I do like the enjoyment of working it out on the fly and some songs really give you different ideas on playing.

Or sometimes just doing whole other basslines than are already there.

That's pretty much how I got my mojo back. Thanks Planet Rock!

• Like 1

On 03/09/2024 at 18:01, Bass Novice said:

A few general comments, gleaned from years of bumbling incompetence (mainly my own).

1. Nobody's a million years away from joining a band.  Time is shorter than that, so aim to fulfil your aims and ambitions as soon as you can.  That may mean actively working towards a goal - learn a song, learn a scale, play along to a recording  etc

2. Choose a band at your current skill level (or perhaps a little bit better than you). There are bands and there are bands.  If you want to join your next door neighbour accompanying his slow blues in E, then you are ready. If however you plan to audition for a touring Prog Jazz Rock improvisation collective, then perhaps "not yet" is the answer. 

3. Can you count, and hear?  By which I mean, count to 4 at the same speed as everyone else in a band, or a recording? Can you hear when you have made a mistake, and realise how you should correct it? Can you hear if you are in tune? Can you hear when the song is not in 4/4 but different? You get bonus points for recognising 3/4, 6/8, 12/8.

4. Do you know the difference between "don't mind" and "don't care"?  For me, I have learned not to mind when things go wrong - I don't mind.  Previously, when I didn't care, I would have given up playing, or got angry with band members. From reading basschat.co.uk, the preference is for band mates who are easy to get on with, and who can turn up on time, ready to play.

5.  Are you always hungry? Not for food, but for betterment. Do you want to learn more, play better, try new songs, play with others? Do you listen to a band's bassist and think "I could have done that!" 

If you can meet some of those criteria, then you are ready to join a band.

Edited by bass_dinger
bumbling incompetence
  • Like 2

14 minutes ago, Franticsmurf said:

That's a really good question, not just for newbies.

Thank you.  I wasted over 30 years worth of adrenaline and spleen before I knew the difference, so, if sharing that revelation helps even one person, then I am pleased to be able to help.   

I learnt it from an English/American couple about 20 years ago. 
English wife would ask what American husband wanted to eat.  "I don't care", he would say.  She pointed out that "I don't mind" is a more neutral and polite way of responding.  From that point on, I saw that there was a difference.

However, it took me two decades to apply the philosophy to my own character.     

Edited by bass_dinger
  • Like 3

Bit of perspective. As a 17 yr old many, many moons ago, the idea of playing live in a band was beyond exciting and sadly thats why I royally screwed up big time on my very first public performance which was in a well known dingy night club full of serious young adults and we were supporting a well known very good local indie/punk band.

Thing is I'd practised the tunes in the bedroom (Deni Deni was one) and then did a few run throughs at the leads house over a couple of nights.... great I thought, piece of cake, just need to sort my stage garb, cant wait.

Well on the night the cold hard reality dawned.. First the darkness, couldnt see a thing, then realising we were using the main bands gear...Me, an Orange bass bin that u could not hear on stage and then the overal Noise!!  I was seriously nervous to start with and then found I couldnt hear myself at all and between my terror and inability to hear much, got hideously lost. 

Guess the thing to take away from this tale is. That leap from the bedroom to the real life dance floor with stoney faced punters standing cynically two feet away from you expecting a show is a massive one. Taught me a heck of a lesson. Be totally prepared and thoroughly know what to expect.

• Like 2