Why become a member? ×

Rick Beato interview with Tony Levin

JJTee

32 minutes ago, toneknob said:

more random TLev content - this EHX demo dropped into my email today even though it's from 10 or so years ago. funny stuff.

Oh yes: "I set the sustain to sometime after the heat death of the universe..." (or something like that.)

On 11/09/2024 at 23:10, rodney72a said:

This might be the rarest of the lot. I think I've only ever seen one other Peach Sabre and that's the one Tony Levin played in the Peter Gabriel: Live in Athens 1987 concert. Maple board, 3-band EQ. Sounds phenomenal in his hands. I seem to recall someone saying it was destroyed in a fire - I sure hope not!

It's a concert worth watching with Tony Levin playing a variety of Music Man basses.

I got mine, a 1988, without the original guard unfortunately, I suspect it would have been a clear one.

1988 Peach Sabre (no guard).jpg

Very nice - nearly as rare as my Sabre Classic 😀 I’ve looked at a number of the tracks on that Peter Gabriel concert but have only come across a silver SR4 with matching headstock, the Chapman Stick and rather bizarrely the peach SR5 - I think - only fleetingly seen in the background of one of the songs where Gabriel rolls around on the stage with lights right above him - is Tony’s perhaps one of earliest prototype SR5s? 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, drTStingray said:

Very nice - nearly as rare as my Sabre Classic 😀 I’ve looked at a number of the tracks on that Peter Gabriel concert but have only come across a silver SR4 with matching headstock, the Chapman Stick and rather bizarrely the peach SR5 - I think - only fleetingly seen in the background of one of the songs where Gabriel rolls around on the stage with lights right above him - is Tony’s perhaps one of earliest prototype SR5s? 

He plays a Peach Sabre in Don't Give Up and Biko.

As for the Peach SR5, the concert being from October 1987, it has to be some sort of prototype. I had a fantastically nerdy discussion with Gav about it a few years ago, as the bass in the concert seems to have a different headstock logo and possibly pickup cover when compared to his famous Peach SR5 as seen in various pics over the years. Anorak territory!