Why become a member? ×

Advice - Cab options for heavy rock

Rayman

I’ve never been an amp guy. I find them far less exciting than basses. However I really want to get my rig sorted.

I’ve been using a TC D class head into a TC 4x10 for gigs (original heavy rock, Thunderbird bass). The TC sounds fine, but it’s not amazing. I have an Ashdown ABM 500 combo, which I love, especially on top of the ABM 1x15 cab, but it’s too heavy and cumbersome. We live in an upstairs flat and I’m not getting any younger.

So I bought an ABM 500 head, a 2x10 cab and the 1x15 cab, which I haven’t tested live yet, but I feel like this rig is still pretty bulky.

Someone I know is selling a couple of Hartke Hidrive 1x12 cabs. Super light and portable and very reasonably priced. 

Will those 2 Hartke cabs work with the TC head for hard rock? Will they have enough clout?

28 minutes ago, Bigwan said:

Do you have normally have PA support?

Most of the gigs I’m DI’d yes. So obviously this kind of negates the need for a ‘big rig’. But on Saturday, onstage, the TC + 410 was a bit lost. It sounded fine out front I’m sure, but onstage the sound, for me, was lacking, which effects how I play.

However, we also do gigs where we don’t have DI, so I need to have that covered too.

38 minutes ago, Rayman said:

I like the idea of a couple of portable 2x12s, I just don’t know if they’re up to it? 

I used a pair of 2x12s (one a closed back guitar cab, the other with a pair of full range Mackie PA speakers) as my rig in the 1990s. I was way ahead of the curve 🙂

Now I use a GR Bass AT212 slim, with an Orange Terror. Of course, it works for rock, but I do struggle to set the volume as anything beyond 10 o'clock on the master is too loud.

• Thanks 1

You have loads of options available but I'll offer a few observations...

• Don't get hung up on speaker size, particularly that you need 15" speakers for more 'bottom end'!  
  • Don't be afraid to raise a cab off the floor to get it nearer your ear.
  • Consider a modular rig, especially one that will get the drivers closer to your ear height (a pair of 2x10 stacked on their ends to create 4x10 in one vertical line).
  • 'Literally' ignore speaker ratings other than ohmage; some companies claimed wattage is a joke and is meaningless.  
  • Are you sticking with your amp?  The TC is a different amp altogether compared to the Ashdown ABM.  No mention of digital (I just mentioned it) but sometimes, claimed power ratings are massaged!  
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, warwickhunt said:

You have loads of options available but I'll offer a few observations...

• Don't get hung up on speaker size, particularly that you need 15" speakers for more 'bottom end'!  
  • Don't be afraid to raise a cab off the floor to get it nearer your ear.
  • Consider a modular rig, especially one that will get the drivers closer to your ear height (a pair of 2x10 stacked on their ends to create 4x10 in one vertical line).
  • 'Literally' ignore speaker ratings other than ohmage; some companies claimed wattage is a joke and is meaningless.  
  • Are you sticking with your amp?  The TC is a different amp altogether compared to the Ashdown ABM.  No mention of digital (I just mentioned it) but sometimes, claimed power ratings are massaged!  

Thanks indeed for all of that.

Primarily I want loud but portable. So the TC and the two 1x12 Hartkes appeals a lot. However is that going to match the grunt of the Ashdown head, 2x10 and 1x15? I dunno. We’re not talking stadiums here, it’s mostly rock/metal nights in small/medium venues.

I Want to make a decision on if I’m sticking with Ashdown, or going small and portable with the TC and a couple of more portable cabs.

I run a Zilla 212 in a metal band. It more than copes with the demand volume wise. In a past life I also ran it as the main signal for me at functions. I reckon the Hartkes are worth a punt.

My only reservation would be that at 15.4kg for each cab, they don't seem that lightweight to me but it is compared to the rig you're currently rocking!

• Thanks 1

Just my opinion, but if you want loud and modular for rock (or anything for that matter) I’d go;

1x barefaced big baby

1xbarefaced super midget 

Genz Benz streamliner 900

The bb will do you for probably 80% of your gigs, add the midget and it’s absolutely blow anything off stage time. 
maybe expensive, but go second hand , I don’t think you’d regret it x 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, tubbybloke68 said:

Just my opinion, but if you want loud and modular for rock (or anything for that matter) I’d go;

1x barefaced big baby

1xbarefaced super midget 

Genz Benz streamliner 900

The bb will do you for probably 80% of your gigs, add the midget and it’s absolutely blow anything off stage time. 
maybe expensive, but go second hand , I don’t think you’d regret it x 

I regularly gig a big baby ii. I used to have two of them but it was overkill. I play in a Classic Rock band doing lots of festivals and big stages. Never ran out of volume.

• Like 2

In be answer to the two Hartke cabs I can’t see why they wouldn’t work, I’ve seen a bassist use two of them in a regular pub covers band, no FOH, and there was plenty enough volume. 

• Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, BigRedX said:

The most important thing with a live rig is to have at least some of it pointed at your ears and not at the backs of your knees.

Absolutely. Something else I need to organise is some kind of stand or box or something to stand the rig on. 

48 minutes ago, Rayman said:

Absolutely. Something else I need to organise is some kind of stand or box or something to stand the rig on. 

You do not mention budget. I don't play heavy rock but two modern 12s would surely suffice. I down traded my Monaco to a 10" Monza as the Monaco wasmore than I needed. I would look at either a Barefaced Big Twin or  two LFSys Monacos. Two Monacos will be lighter and a £few hundred cheaper.

The two  LFSys will be about 114cm high stacked but the dispersion means you will not need the stand or box.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

45 minutes ago, Chienmortbb said:

You do not mention budget. I don't play heavy rock but two modern 12s would surely suffice. I down traded my Monaco to a 10" Monza as the Monaco wasmore than I needed. I would look at either a Barefaced Big Twin or  two LFSys Monacos. Two Monacos will be lighter and a £few hundred cheaper.

The two  LFSys will be about 114cm high stacked but the dispersion means you will not need the stand or box.

Exactly  this.

Properly designed cabs (LFS, Barefaced) have great dispersion so the sound is hitting you rears even when the cab is on the floor.

• Like 4