Why become a member? ×

This time I think I’m done

Earlier this year I was about to quit playing / gigging but I did start up with a new band and I felt it was worth one more go.

Last month I quit that band and I think I’ve decided I’m going to sell up and enjoy watching / listening to others and stop playing.

I have a lot of gear to sell which folk on here could pick up some bargains 

I will be listing it all and the collection of amps, basses and gear is substantial!! 
I’ve enjoyed it in the past but I really can’t get my mojo back and at 64yrs old I don’t feel I need to get my fix anymore. End of an era but I’m happy and slightly relieved that I am no longer sitting on the fence thinking shall I or not !! 

• Like 10
  • Sad 7

As said on the Mesa ad - sorry to hear this. But I’m doing my best to persuade my uncle to buy at least a cab, if not the Eich amp as well. And I’m trying to persuade someone else to buy the Mesa so I can borrow it 😄

Thanks guys .. I appreciate the comments 

Gear slowly being listed and all in great condition or like new !!

Will be adding more such as Shure GLXD16+ and my Sterling Ray 34 and finally my American Performer PBass in white 

Yep it’s a beauty for sure and I was amazed at the lovely condition throughout ( as if it’s hardly been played in 23yrs ) 

If I was likely to play again ( I won’t ) it would be staying but my mind is 100% made up and I feel relieved I’ve made a decision to move on. 
40yrs of gigging is enough !! 

• Like 1

Don’t forget I play acoustic guitar too so I’m not without a musical connection still.

Bass for me always = gigging bands 

Without the bands / gigging I didn’t and don’t see much need to keep the gear. 

3 hours ago, spongebob said:

Sad to hear that, but as long as you can finish on a good note - look back with affection, rather than doing it hating it. 🎸

This exactly sums it up. My last band was my best, it was fun and great people. The band I tried recently just didn’t work for me.

However I think I’m going to park my plans for now.

See how I feel in a few months and then decide to sell up or not 

Maybe I was being hasty ?? 

Edited by BassAdder60
  • Like 3

I used to gig regularly in weddings and function bands.

Sold everything too.

But kept my two favorite basses. And don't regret that I did. 

I popped on here to buy a practice amp for the first time in like 3 years as a bit of mojo has returned. 

Andnwhaddayaknow I have my two  favorite basses I can still play. Happy days.

Hope everyone is well

You can't pack it all in - who else is gonna buy every single amp and review them so we don't have to? 

Your purpose is clearly to serve the wider bass community in both GAS facilitation and prevention... You're the reason I've got an Orange LBT!!

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, BassAdder60 said:

Possibly. Repent at leisure and all that... I'm glad you're taking a while to think about it.

Even though I missed out on a tasty bargain in the marketplace tonight 😉 

• Thanks 1

There is an old saying that goes "You don’t stop playing when you get old – you get old when you stop playing, so keep playing."  It's been a mantra of mine in recent years, but I do get where you are coming from. After a good few steady years of gigging, playing, and having a ball with some of the best band mates I've ever had, a band split, a good drummer friend passing away suddenly, and trying over several months to keep new band projects with various new personnel going, has felt not as enjoyable as it once was. Were on our third drummer, and second vocalist in as many months. Trying to get everyone back into sync, and learn material has been very trying to say the least. It would be much easier for me to just hang up the bass, and sell on the gear and melt into the audience instead of being onstage. I have booked gigging comitments to give me a reason to keep going and I don't like to leave band mates in the lurch, but I can see 2025 being a challenge that might mean retiring from gigs. I'll also have a load of stuff to sell on if I pack it in next year,  but I think hanging on to at least one rig is well worth it. Just incase a new project comes along, or you get that call to dep, or join a new project you might enjoy that enthuses you to keep your hand in with the bass.

Oddly enough, I've just recently bought a retirement acoustic guitar 😁 It's never going to be as much fun a playing bass though.

• Like 3

21 hours ago, BassAdder60 said:

This exactly sums it up. My last band was my best, it was fun and great people. The band I tried recently just didn’t work for me.

That pretty much sums it up for me. Took 6 months out this year before looking for a new band. They were ok and decent guys but I just could not be bothered playing any more.

I'm planning to keep a hold of everything and sell things for the occasional rainy day purchase

• Like 1