Why become a member? ×

Barefaced cab advice

Burns-bass

Hello!

I have 2 x Barefaced 1x10 cabs (love them) and a Barefaced Midget.

I don't have a huge amount of space anymore, and I wanted some live advice as to whether the 2 x 1x10s would be as loud as the Midget. (If it is I'll put the Midget up for sale). 

Anyone used this set up before? 

I don't want to sell the Midget then find that the 10s aren't going to deliver the power I need. We're talking pubs, small clubs etc. Sometimes I can add a bit of bass to the PA if needed.

46 minutes ago, chris_b said:

Can't you take both on a gig and find out?

Good question. I currently don’t have a car so it’s not an option. My practice space (loft) is becoming our master bedroom hence the need to downsize:

31 minutes ago, Lozz196 said:

I can`t see how two 1x10 cabs won`t be as loud as either of the Midgets, old and new both being 1x12 - if anything I`d expect the sound to be fuller with the two 1x10s.

This was my hope. The 10s are also easier to carry and store

All things being equal (which they rarely are) a pair of 10" cabs should be nearly 50% louder than a single 12" cab [arithmetically it would be (25x2) vs 36], but there are SO many other variables ...

• Like 2

Can only add a bit more speculation - sorry, but looking the specs of the Midget that I found on a old advert, the max output is 127dB compared to 125dB of a 2x10 which is essentially the same as 2 1x10s in practice. So I would guess volume wise they are about the same. 

The key question for me would be whether you prefer the colouration of the 10s compared to the more neutral 12s. 

Apologies for not answering your question 😁 

Darren.

24 minutes ago, jrixn1 said:

Alex Claber says "Approximately speaking, one 12XN = two 10CR in output."
https://barefacedaudio.com/pages/which-to-choose

I’d seen this and Alex actually told me the 2 x 10s would suit me best. Coupled with the real world experiences of people here suggest that’s the best option in terms of size, weight and convenience.

Thanks all.

I'm facing the same decision over the same cabs and am almost certainly jumping the other way.

The short version is I already had a G2 Super12 and Midget, but then received a One10 as a gift, so bought another to go with it and took the pair to live at the rehearsal studio. Wrapped up in the excitement of new toys, I decided they were the best thing ever, so bought a Two10 to use for gigs.

As the honeymoon period ended, I started to notice that I was forever messing around with my EQ and 'never seemed to be completely happy with my sound these days'. Out of interest I took my Midget along and instantly realised that whilst the 10s are undeniably great bits of engineering, they're just not what's best for me. I'm currently steeling myself to take a thumping loss on selling all the 10s and probably order a Super Compact for gigging.

Whilst I know they're about as loud as each other, the Midget is coming across so much more authoritatively in the room than the pair of 10s that it's hard for me to accept it's not substantially louder.

1 hour ago, Ed_S said:

I'm facing the same decision over the same cabs and am almost certainly jumping the other way.

The short version is I already had a G2 Super12 and Midget, but then received a One10 as a gift, so bought another to go with it and took the pair to live at the rehearsal studio. Wrapped up in the excitement of new toys, I decided they were the best thing ever, so bought a Two10 to use for gigs.

As the honeymoon period ended, I started to notice that I was forever messing around with my EQ and 'never seemed to be completely happy with my sound these days'. Out of interest I took my Midget along and instantly realised that whilst the 10s are undeniably great bits of engineering, they're just not what's best for me. I'm currently steeling myself to take a thumping loss on selling all the 10s and probably order a Super Compact for gigging.

Whilst I know they're about as loud as each other, the Midget is coming across so much more authoritatively in the room than the pair of 10s that it's hard for me to accept it's not substantially louder.

It's the mids.

The One10 have a more old fashioned scoop and the 12 inch stuff does not.

52 minutes ago, chris_b said:

Awhile back I had 2 One10's, 2 Two10's and 2 SC's. I gigged all combinations for a few months and and decided to go with the SC's. . . . they just sounded bigger and cleaner.

That’s a lot of gear!

As well as the Barefaced cabs I’ve got an Ampeg valve amp. I could sell that and keep them all (but I don’t want to, obviously).

I owned and used a pair of BF One10's playing predominantly rock music and bought them to replace a single cab with a larger driver. Great little cabs I must admit, but it took me a few months of gigging to realise they just weren't for me. The two together could never get as loud as the single cab I was using without EQ'ing out all the low end that is my preffered tone. I found them quite coloured tonally( it does say they are designed that way), prone to break up with not nearly as much power as the single cab was able to take, and because I had to take a lot of bottom end out to keep them cleaner, they sounded thinner. The other single driver brand cab I used sounded bigger, cleaner, louder, and could handle as much low end as I could throw at it without breaking up or distorting. I haven't used any of the BF XN cabs to compare, but if they are half as good as everyone says they are, I'd have one anyday in preference to a pair of One10's. Also keeps it simple as a 1 x cab setup.

On 05/09/2024 at 14:58, Happy Jack said:

All things being equal (which they rarely are) a pair of 10" cabs should be nearly 50% louder than a single 12" cab [arithmetically it would be (25x2) vs 36], but there are SO many other variables ...

If you're referring to surface area, the figures are - 2x10 = 157.1 sq in, 1x12 = 113.12 sq in. You square the radius and multiply by pi to get the area of a circle. As you say, there are many other variables - efficiency, etc.

15 hours ago, bassist_lewis said:

Something to consider is that the 2 One10s will be taller, so the speaker will be nearer your ears than the Midget. Of course if you don't like the tone it doesn't matter, but it will likely sound and/or feel louder.

It’s a good point. I normally use the 1x10 on top of the midget so in this configuration it’s lower.

The sale of the Ampeg means this is all pointless as I can keep the midget and the 2 x 10s

I do like my one10s, you can't beat how light and easy they are to lug about and I've had some heavy gear in my time!

I'm usually up between our lead guitarist's Marshall cab pounding out the riffs and the drummer thumping away and these little buggers cut through all that!

I took my one10s out of their cajon bags at their first rehearsal and the drummer said "where's the rest of your hi-fi?"

Band members are usually amazed at the amount of air me and the lil' twins are pushing though😁

I'd make room for all of them, get rid of something else, furniture, telly, wife...anything but the cabs 😆IMG_20220806_165059.thumb.jpg.3865a59a46ed6cce317b240506235130.jpg

• Like 1

On 08/09/2024 at 15:42, Dan Dare said:

If you're referring to surface area, the figures are - 2x10 = 157.1 sq in, 1x12 = 113.12 sq in. You square the radius and multiply by pi to get the area of a circle. As you say, there are many other variables - efficiency, etc.

Did you remember to use the cone size plus 1/2 the surround size rather than the overall size?

If you look at the Eminence Kappalite 10s, the total of the effective cone area (SD) is 118" sq while a single Kappalite 12 is 82" sq. So rounding very loosely, the 12 is 2/3 of the cone area of 2 x 10s.

1 hour ago, Chienmortbb said:

Did you remember to use the cone size plus 1/2 the surround size rather than the overall size?

If you look at the Eminence Kappalite 10s, the total of the effective cone area (SD) is 118" sq while a single Kappalite 12 is 82" sq. So rounding very loosely, the 12 is 2/3 of the cone area of 2 x 10s.

The important thing is the ratio of one to the other, so 1x12:2x10 is 144:200 or 18:25 when you factor it. But that omits recognition of the fact that speakers are pistons, so it's not just the bore that counts, it's the stroke too.